Yet Another Records Question

Started by ColonelJack, February 12, 2009, 07:06:28 PM

ColonelJack

So I'm leaning more and more toward re-joining CAP, coming out of retirement, call it what you will.

I wonder what NHQ has in its files about me.  I left in 1997, and between now and then the squadron copy of my personnel records went bye-bye.  (So did the squadron, actually.)

I have the certificates for my Senior Member COP, my Loening, Garber, and Wilson ... the certificates for my SOS and ACSC courses ... and the certificates for my seven Commander's Commendations and one Meritorious Service Award.  Will I need paperwork (assuming NHQ doesn't have it) to legitimately claim these, or will copies of the certificates be sufficient?

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

ßτε

I am fairly sure National will still have the data for your Prof. Dev. awards and schools. It will be in their database. Someone recently rejoined in my squadron after an even longer break and all that is ther record in eServices.

National may or may not have the information for the decorations. These are not recorded in eServices, as far as I know. I believe copies of the certificates should be sufficient, though.

You will have to redo Level I, including the Foundations, CPPT, and OPSEC before you can have your grade reinstated. Your retirement certificate or Membership card showing your previous grade should be sufficient proof once your Level I is recorded at National.

swamprat86

You PD stuff would be the only thing you would need to send to National if they do not have it as well as proof of prior grade for reinstatement to accompany the paperwork.  You decorations aren't kept at National so you only need copies in your unit file to justiy wear on uniform.

IceNine

They will have any PD files that were in the database at your time of separation.

Just had a gent re-join after 22 years separation and everything was right as rain.  We had no trouble with his grade re-reinstatement either when we felt comfortable with him we reinstated him to Capt. with no issues.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

biomed441

Sorry to bring back an older thread, but I'm having the same issue, though a slightly different circumstance. I was a former cadet, now a senior member, just recently got onto e-services and noticed NONE of my cadet records are on there. No awards, no promotions etc.  All it shows is that i joined in 2001 and my achievement 1 was in progress. In truth I had gotten to achievement 5, and have several other cadet awards that don't even show up.  I also know for certain that the paper records no longer exist and the only paper I have is a phase 1 completion certificate.

Not sure what happened or why its not listed. Its not really THAT big of an issue as its only cadet records, but I wouldn't mind wearing my red service, community service, and lindy ribbon again ;D

SilverEagle2

It appears that they have all that they were given. Bummer
     Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

biomed441

Yeah i kind of got the idea that perhaps the records never left the squadron level. Oh well.

arajca

Until recently, National only recorded Achievement 1 and milestones for cadet achievements, since Achievement 1 is required for ES quals and milestone numbers are issued by National.

LtCol057

Actually, every member should be keeping copies of everything that is in their personnel file.  I highly recommend that all members keep a copy of their personnel file at home. When I put something in their file, I normally give them a copy for their own file.  What they do with it is up to them.  I also recommend that if you do keep your own copy, get together with your personnel officer about once or twice a year to make sure both copies match. 

If you don't keep your own copies, when (or if) you leave the squadron, you are authorized to get a copy of your file.  We have to keep your records on file for 5 years after your membership expires.  After that, per regulations, it is supposed to be destroyed.  But I've seen firsthand that sometimes people come back past the 5 years.  So I've started scanning the files and putting them on a CD before I shred them.  The CD copies are kept under lock and key for security.  I also try to include a scan of membership cards to show grade, because several times NHQ has required some documentation that a former member held a certain grade for reinstatement.

Cecil DP

If you have a good Personnel Officer he should be keeping you up to date on your records and reviewing them with you every 6 months or so. But these are your records and in the end it's your responsibility to ensure they're up to date. LTC057 is correct in all he said, but you should keep the originals and the copies go into the unit file.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

biomed441

Good tips for the future for sure. Kind of makes me concider getting a specialty track in personnel now....hmmmm