Main Menu

Wing Level Folks

Started by etodd, September 20, 2016, 06:11:13 PM

etodd

I'm still trying to discern the corporate ladder, so to speak. So what does that mean, when a Squadron member moves up and folks say "he is at Wing now"? He may still be a member of the Squadron but somehow has Wing duties of some type? Or is he no longer a Squadron member but is 'on leave' or something? What type jobs are at Wing level?

Some good links would be fine. I don't mind reading. But trying to search its all as as clear as mud. I must be looking in the wrong places.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Fubar

In a perfect world with enough people to fill all the jobs we have, someone would gain experience and knowledge working at the squadron level for a couple of years and then move up to group (if your wing has them) or a wing staff job. The person they've been training as their replacement would take over at the squadron.

We do not live in a perfect world and we have just the fraction of the manpower required for all of the busy work CAP has created (some needed, some not). This means people end up wearing lots of hats in CAP. You might be the comm guy at your squadron but also be given "Additional Duty" or ADY of being the assistant comm guy at wing.

It creates a lot of circular problems. Your squadron commander might also serve as an assistant PAO at wing and you serve as the wing PAO as an ADY. So at the squadron, he's your boss, but when it comes to wing PAO stuff, you're his boss.

I suppose in the corporate world, it's being called to work at the main HQ in the same building as the CEO.

DakRadz

They can either be transferred to the Wing HQ unit, or have additional duties at Wing. If you look at your squadron roster on eServices and that person is gone, they have a primary duty and loyalty to Wing position.

If they are present, generally they should still be at meetings and whatnot locally and just have a side job as the Wing SoandSo.

1st Lt Raduenz

SarDragon

It is possible to have positions at multiple levels, but you can only be administratively assigned to one unit.

I show up on three Personnel Authorizations (PAs) in my wing. I am assigned to my local squadron, and am listed as Ass't Comm Officer, and a couple of other Ass't positions. At group, I'm listed as an Ass't Comm Officer (IAOD*). At wing I'm listed as Engineering Officer South (IAOD), doing repeater maintenance, and radio programming.

OTOH, we have a local guy who shows up at our meetings, but is now assigned to a primary wing position, and goes through that admin/personnel chain. He goes to wing HQ (typically a 3 hour drive) as necessary for f2f business.

*In Addition to Other Duties
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

stillamarine

Quote from: etodd on September 20, 2016, 06:11:13 PM
I'm still trying to discern the corporate ladder, so to speak. So what does that mean, when a Squadron member moves up and folks say "he is at Wing now"? He may still be a member of the Squadron but somehow has Wing duties of some type? Or is he no longer a Squadron member but is 'on leave' or something? What type jobs are at Wing level?

Some good links would be fine. I don't mind reading. But trying to search its all as as clear as mud. I must be looking in the wrong places.

In our wing, generally if someone is appointed to a Wing position they are transferred to 001. They may still come to local meetings but they go through the wing for administrative needs. When I was on Wing staff I went to various other units a couple times a month and then to the Wing staff meetings once a month.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Chappie

Quote from: SarDragon on September 20, 2016, 07:16:06 PM
It is possible to have positions at multiple levels, but you can only be administratively assigned to one unit.

I show up on three Personnel Authorizations (PAs) in my wing. I am assigned to my local squadron, and am listed as Ass't Comm Officer, and a couple of other Ass't positions. At group, I'm listed as an Ass't Comm Officer (IAOD*). At wing I'm listed as Engineering Officer South (IAOD), doing repeater maintenance, and radio programming.

OTOH, we have a local guy who shows up at our meetings, but is now assigned to a primary wing position, and goes through that admin/personnel chain. He goes to wing HQ (typically a 3 hour drive) as necessary for f2f business.

*In Addition to Other Duties

^^^ What he said (see pm)
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Chappie

Quote from: stillamarine on September 20, 2016, 07:25:12 PM

<snip>

When I was on Wing staff I went to various other units a couple times a month and then to the Wing staff meetings once a month.
<snip>

Have done the same when I was assigned to high echelons when schedule permitted.  Love to be where the real action takes place at local (for me it was my "home" squadron since it was an 1 1/2 hour drive to the nearest squadron).  It also helps keep a perspective of how the policies/practices formulated will impact those who have to implement them.

Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

etodd

Thanks for all the replies. That helps. I can tell that I will most likely always be a 'local' member. I enjoy the Squadron and feel my best efforts will be local. Not only as a pilot, but as someone who likes marketing the Cadet program to local kids in the area. I enjoy seeing those new Cadets join up and start to progress through the program. I'm not a good 'teacher' and don't think I would be the best person working with Cadets ... but I have 45 years in marketing and can get them in the door so that others can then work with them. :)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."