Background check question

Started by Dracosbane, March 15, 2013, 08:41:54 PM

Critical AOA

Quote from: Garibaldi on March 27, 2013, 06:16:55 PM
I'll chime in.

In 1986, I went in the Army and got out a month later due to flat feet.

I thought they checked for that condition before they send someone to basic.  Was it previously undiagnosed?
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Devil Doc

Quote from: David Vandenbroeck on April 03, 2013, 02:54:25 PM
I'll chime in.

I thought they checked for that condition before they send someone to basic.  Was it previously undiagnosed?

There suppose to, but yet people get Service Connected for Flat Feet. Go Figure.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

FlyTiger77

Quote from: Devil Doc on April 03, 2013, 03:06:41 PM
I'll chime in.

There suppose to, but yet people get Service Connected for Flat Feet. Go Figure.

The arches of your feet (or the arch of just a single foot) can fall during military service. If this was due to military service and becomes a disability, then it quite correctly should be considered a service-connected problem.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Garibaldi

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on April 03, 2013, 03:45:29 PM
I'll chime in.

The arches of your feet (or the arch of just a single foot) can fall during military service. If this was due to military service and becomes a disability, then it quite correctly should be considered a service-connected problem.

I'm not sure...I never had a problem WIWAC wearing combat boots and marching. Nor did I have a problem running in high school, but put me in a basic training platoon and suddenly I get shin splints so bad I could hardly walk? No one caught it at MEPS. I never once even considered that it could have been a slight problem exacerbated by wearing combat boots 16 hours a day...
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Devil Doc

Quote from: Garibaldi on April 03, 2013, 05:09:59 PM
I'll chime in.

I'm not sure...I never had a problem WIWAC wearing combat boots and marching. Nor did I have a problem running in high school, but put me in a basic training platoon and suddenly I get shin splints so bad I could hardly walk? No one caught it at MEPS. I never once even considered that it could have been a slight problem exacerbated by wearing combat boots 16 hours a day...

I understand Flat Feet May Occur during Service. It can be questionable, but lets say this person only served 1-2 years, in a non infrantry battalion. Highly Doubtful. Again, im not the VA so i cannot make that decision. Shin Splints is very common in Bootcamp, alot of people get them, it very common in AD also. I wasnt trying to be sarcastic, just trying to give examples of the ludacrious things people get SC for.  I believe background checks should be on a person to person basis, i know alot of 17 year olds who messed up, and are still paying for it.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Garibaldi

Quote from: Devil Doc on April 03, 2013, 05:33:47 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on April 03, 2013, 05:09:59 PM
I'll chime in.

I understand Flat Feet May Occur during Service. It can be questionable, but lets say this person only served 1-2 years, in a non infrantry battalion. Highly Doubtful. Again, im not the VA so i cannot make that decision. Shin Splints is very common in Bootcamp, alot of people get them, it very common in AD also. I wasnt trying to be sarcastic, just trying to give examples of the ludacrious things people get SC for.  I believe background checks should be on a person to person basis, i know alot of 17 year olds who messed up, and are still paying for it.

Neither was I. I really never considered that basic might have increased my problem. Should I contact the VA?
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

lordmonar

Quote from: Garibaldi on April 03, 2013, 08:40:52 PMNeither was I. I really never considered that basic might have increased my problem. Should I contact the VA?
Problem is that VA benifits don't kick in until a certain amount of service.

24 months...but the VA site does say that if you earlied out for some reason to contact them and find out.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Critical AOA

I doubt if one month of basic was enough to give you flat feet.  You most likely had them before but was given a pass or it was overlooked.  Army basic isn't that punishing. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

bosshawk

Just to muddy the waters: I was commissioned in the Army at age 21 with congenital flat feet.  That means that I was born with flat feet.  Served 30 years and one month and never had an issue:   go figure.

During that time, I had a complete physical at least every 12 months and it was never noted that I had flat feet.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Devil Doc

WOW, that just goes to show you how MEPS can pass over alot of things. I really think it has to do with Bodies. If you can Somehow prove that Flat Feet/Shin Splints is the reason you got discharged you may get treatment. As stated before is suppose to be 24 months of AD, but ive seen people serve 2 months in Bootcamp get injured and now there at the VA.

Just so people know, im not disgruntled about people getting SC, by all means thats fine, its just the people you know are playing the system. People tha tplay the system rob the treatment of Veterans who really need the help, not going for Travel Pay, Pain Meds, or trying to live of the Government.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Майор Хаткевич

I used to wait tables at a country club and one of the bartenders was in his 40s, with a limp. Got it in USMC Basic on an obstacle course maybe a few weeks in. He probably got zilch from VA.

CAP4117

IMHO shame over PTSD is one of the biggest public health obstacles facing the military right now (if not the biggest). I predict that we will continue to see suicide rates climb until this stigma is properly dealt with. How to go about that is a really tough question, though.

Quote from: Stonewall on March 28, 2013, 01:29:06 PM
A fat chick

Regardless of what the story may be, was that really necessary?

SarDragon

Quote from: bosshawk on April 03, 2013, 11:21:20 PM
Just to muddy the waters: I was commissioned in the Army at age 21 with congenital flat feet.  That means that I was born with flat feet.  Served 30 years and one month and never had an issue:   go figure.

During that time, I had a complete physical at least every 12 months and it was never noted that I had flat feet.

And you didn't happen to mention that they were using pterodactyls for flight trainers when you joined, either.  ;)

I had moderately flat feet when I joined the Navy, and it was noted in my physical. I didn't have any problems until I was just about done with boot camp, and it was due mostly to the too wide shoes I was wearing. I went to sick call about it, and they gave me arch supports. Wore those until I got new shoes, and then didn't have any problems until a couple of years ago. Have plantar fasciitis issues now, and have orthotics for it. Problem gone again.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ColonelJack

Quote from: CAP4117 on April 04, 2013, 04:48:38 AM

A fat chick

Pavel Chekov, Star Trek VI:  "Perhaps you are familiar with Russian epic, 'Cinderella' ... if shoe fits, wear it."   ;)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

bosshawk

Dave: you forgot to mention that the pyerodactyls had side by side seating and twin sticks in those days.  Some of them even had afterburners that worked.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

FlyTiger77

Quote from: bosshawk on April 04, 2013, 05:17:56 PM
Dave: you forgot to mention that the pyerodactyls had side by side seating and twin sticks in those days.  Some of them even had afterburners that worked.

Hmmmmm...Have you ever seen a picture of a pterodactyl and an OV-1 side-by-side? Is the family resemblance just coincidental? I know they are of about the same vintage. Things that make you say, "Hmmm..."
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

bosshawk

Jack: you are right: about the same vintage.  Of course, I am of that vintage, too, so we go hand in hand.  Remember, the first OV-1 flew in 1959 and we retired them in 1996.  There are still some flying, in private hands.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

PHall

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on April 04, 2013, 05:41:11 PM
Quote from: bosshawk on April 04, 2013, 05:17:56 PM

Hmmmmm...Have you ever seen a picture of a pterodactyl and an OV-1 side-by-side? Is the family resemblance just coincidental? I know they are of about the same vintage. Things that make you say, "Hmmm..."

No, but a C-141B/C in the AMC Equipment Excellance Grey paint scheme does look like a Pterodactyl! Especially when flying low level right at you!

The CyBorg is destroyed

IMHO shame over PTSD is one of the biggest public health obstacles facing the military right now (if not the biggest). I predict that we will continue to see suicide rates climb until this stigma is properly dealt with. How to go about that is a really tough question, though.

I have PTSD from incidents in childhood.

There are people who, over the years, have tried to minimise ("ah, get over it")/shame me for it.  I refuse to allow them to do so.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Private Investigator

A fat chick

+1

That was uncalled for.