Main Menu

Would it be OK?

Started by QLintz, January 01, 2011, 07:11:32 PM

QLintz

I am 15 years old and going to start CAP this year. My DOB is Nov 1st, 1995.
I would be alright joining CAP at this age, right? I know that there are other teenagers there that will be younger than me with a higher rank. Do you think I should? Or just wait till the USAF when I'm 18?
"I once heard a tale of a man who split himself in two. The one part never changed at all; the other grew and grew. The changeless part was always true, the growing part was always new, and I wondered, when the tale was through, which part was me, and which was you." -Children of the Mind by Orson Scott Card

SarDragon

You will probably do alright.

I joined a week before I turned 15, and got a lot out of the program. There was never a problem with ages.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

manfredvonrichthofen

I wouldn't wait. It doesn't sound like you have no problem with the idea that there might be those who are younger than you already more advanced in grade, and that is good. If you keep an open mind and really think, what could CAP do for me and what could I do for CAP? You will find that there is a lot there for you both. Also if USAF is a goal of yours then CAP is the perfect starting point for you, and who knows, you may be like many of us and find CAP is as big of a part of you as USAF is, and you do both for as long as you can.

There is a lot here for everyone, Try a few meetings at your local squadron before making up your mind. You can't make a decision about what CAP is just by the fliers and websites, give it about one full month (usually about 4 meetings) then decide, you may even need a little more time.

But don't write CAP off just because of your age.

ol'fido

Actually, you are probably at a very good age. You are old enough to participate in most NCSAs and young enough to earn your Mitchell before you go into the AF if that is where you are headed. The AF will promote you to E-3 for earning the Mitchell. This varies with the other services. If you are mature enough to take orders from someone who may be younger than you, you are probably ready for the responsibility that the AF will place on you in a few years. My suggestion is to join CAP. It won't hurt you at all if you want a military career. Try to do everything you can. Go to every activity or training event you can. Go to encampments and NCSAs if you can. Soak up all the knowledge and experience you can. Learn to listen and listen good and good luck. HNY.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

DC

The average age for CAP cadets is 15.2, IIRC, so you should be right at home. Yes, you will probably encounter cadets who are younger than you but outrank you, but if the program is being run correctly it shouldn't matter. You are never going to be 'ordered around' by a 12 year old, like many new, older cadets fear.

Ozzy

Hey I joined CAP at 17... I really didn't have much of a problem with younger cadets ordering me around... and if you do have a problem, learn your stuff and get promoted so that they won't be able to order you around.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

jimmydeanno

I joined when I was 15 and nearly finished the entire program.  It was, perhaps, one of the best experiences I had in high-school.  I would definitely join, if I were you.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Mc Gehee, Cody

I was 16 when I joined and I tell you now it has been the best 5 years spent... I was just accepted to attend the University of Texas to get my masters in Law and go JAG because of CAP... so I would say JOIN!!!
Mc Gehee, Cody
Civil Air Patrol USAF Aux. (Inactive)
Cadet Col. AJROTC (Ret.) Color Guard Commander, Honor Guard Commander

Ron1319

I was couple months shy of 15.
Ronald Thompson, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander, Squadron 85, Placerville, CA
PCR-CA-273
Spaatz #1319

a2capt

Just do it. Don't blow the opportunity. Don't worry about ages, pretty soon you'll promote and be right there with most of them. That initial period only lasts about --> <-- that long.

QLintz

THANK you all. I will proceed to try to convince my dad to go with me next Monday. My parents said maybe. I'll cover it.

Thanks again.
~Quentin
"I once heard a tale of a man who split himself in two. The one part never changed at all; the other grew and grew. The changeless part was always true, the growing part was always new, and I wondered, when the tale was through, which part was me, and which was you." -Children of the Mind by Orson Scott Card

PaulR

I was 16 when I joined and made C/1Lt by the time I went into the Marines, 1990.  That is back in the day when we had the C/WO ranking!

J.American

Its perfectly alright to join at that age.  I joined a few months before my 15th birthday and I have gotten more than I could have imagined out of the program.  Yes, there will be cadets younger than you of higher grade but you must remember that they earned it just as you would.  Just show respect and focus on your development as a cadet and citizen.
C/2d LT Ricketts
SER-AL-087

MikeS

You should join... I did the same exact thing as you, joined when I was the oldest kid and the lowest rank!! It is still a great program and you get alot out of it.  Plus you get fun activities at little to no cost!