SM Service coat without epaulettes

Started by Phoxtrot, May 19, 2015, 01:57:11 AM

Phoxtrot

I have the USAF style service coat that I used as a cadet when I didn't have to worry about epaulettes. But now that I've become a senior member, I need to find a way to put my rank on. I don't want to have to get a new jacket if I don't have to, but I was wondering if there was any way to have them sewn on and still look right? Any advice is appreciated

lordmonar

No.   Get a new (or used) officer's coat.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

JC004

http://www.uniforms-4u.com/p-usaf-officer-jacket-conversion-kit-18231.aspx

You can risk it; perhaps borrow a coat from someone to take to the tailor.  But if it doesn't come out so you can't tell the difference, you'll have to give up on it.

lordmonar

$30 for the kit....another $30+ for the tailor.

You could probably find a good used jacket for that price.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

MSG Mac

Go to a local AFB thrift shop and see if there is one in your size. NC has at least tow AF bases (Seymour-Johnson and Pope). You can also check with MDANG bases to see if they have any excess uniforms from airmen who have ended their service.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Holding Pattern

Quote from: MSG Mac on May 19, 2015, 07:17:40 AM
Go to a local AFB thrift shop and see if there is one in your size. NC has at least tow AF bases (Seymour-Johnson and Pope). You can also check with MDANG bases to see if they have any excess uniforms from airmen who have ended their service.

MDANG?

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on May 19, 2015, 07:19:13 AM
Quote from: MSG Mac on May 19, 2015, 07:17:40 AM

MDANG?

Maryland Air National Guard.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

MSG Mac

Or if Maryland is too far, go to a local North Carolina bad.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

kwe1009

What size are you looking for?  I go to both Pope and Seymour Johnson almost weekly and I'll take a look for you.

kwe1009

Quote from: lordmonar on May 19, 2015, 05:19:08 AM
$30 for the kit....another $30+ for the tailor.

You could probably find a good used jacket for that price.

Here is a link to that kit too.

http://www.uniforms-4u.com/p-usaf-officer-jacket-conversion-kit-18231.aspx

Storm Chaser

Yes, it can be done. When I got commissioned years ago, I got an enlisted service dress jacket converted to an officer one by professionally sewing the epaulets. Before you decide to go that route, you should do a cost analysis to see if it's worth it. You may be able to get a used officer service dress jacket at a reasonable price. Just keep your options open.

Shuman 14

Serious question, since CAP SM who need wear rank on the coat epaulet use grey epaulet rank slides... wouldn't that cover up most (all) noticeable color differences between the coat and the add-on epaulet? 
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

kwe1009

Quote from: shuman14 on May 22, 2015, 03:45:01 PM
Serious question, since CAP SM who need wear rank on the coat epaulet use grey epaulet rank slides... wouldn't that cover up most (all) noticeable color differences between the coat and the add-on epaulet?

I would believe it would and unless the coat was well worn and faded then there probably isn't much difference anyway.  Also, there are ways to fade the epaulets to match them more closely to the coat.

JC004

Yes.  And the newest Vanguard ones are a little longer (and thinner).

abdsp51

Just get and officer's coat and not short cut. 

PHall

Quote from: abdsp51 on May 22, 2015, 08:45:14 PM
Just get and officer's coat and not short cut.

And sell/give your coat without epaulets to a cadet!

Phoxtrot

Quote from: kwe1009 on May 19, 2015, 02:56:49 PM
What size are you looking for?  I go to both Pope and Seymour Johnson almost weekly and I'll take a look for you.

Im looking for a 38R to maybe 40ish if there aren't any of those. I certainly appreciate the help. also, is the store actually inside the base?

Thanks also to everyone for the advice. Sorry I haven't gotten the chance to respond quicker. I believe Im going to go with getting a new jacket and giving away my old one, as it would be difficult and possibly pricey to get them sewn on, at the risk of it not looking right.

kwe1009

Quote from: Phoxtrot on May 23, 2015, 03:06:27 AM
Quote from: kwe1009 on May 19, 2015, 02:56:49 PM

Im looking for a 38R to maybe 40ish if there aren't any of those. I certainly appreciate the help. also, is the store actually inside the base?

Thanks also to everyone for the advice. Sorry I haven't gotten the chance to respond quicker. I believe Im going to go with getting a new jacket and giving away my old one, as it would be difficult and possibly pricey to get them sewn on, at the risk of it not looking right.

I couldn't find anything but new jackets, sorry.  Don't forget to check ebay and craigslist too.  You might get luckly.