Need new idea for 24 hr pack

Started by Walkman, January 26, 2009, 11:53:49 PM

Walkman

Last year I bought a CFP-90 system for my 24 hour/72 hour gear. I love the big pack, but the small day pack gives me some trouble. It's hard to adjust the straps to be comfortable around my armpits. This was especially true last weekend at our winter FTX while I was wearing the field jacket. That being said, during warm months when I'm just hiking I'll grab the small pack and it feels ok.

So I'm looking for alternatives for my 24 hour gear.

1. I'd like to keep using the big pack for my 72 hour gear. It has a large waist strap & pad, so I don't think I can use a fanny pack or web gear (maybe I'm wrong)
2. One thing I like about the CFP-90 is that I can easily attach my 24 hour pack to the 72 hour pack and I don't have to unpack/repack gear each time

Are there any vests that can be configured to fit with big backpack straps over it and still have room for gear? Any ways to make the CFP-90 small pack more comfortable? Any other ideas...

Hawk200

There might be some aftermarket straps for the small pack, but no guarantee.

As for vests, try one of the MOLLE Fighting Load Carrier vests. I've got one of the Protech ones, and it's more comfortable than the issue version.

isuhawkeye

if your going to keep your CFP90 for the bulky gear why not use a chest rig like the conterra set up

Walkman

I keep thinking of a Molle vest or something, but for some reason I can;t visualize all those pouched leaving room for backpack straps. Do they really work well?

Any one have a pic to share?

RogueLeader

Sure do. the GI versions do pretty well, but some brand names are better, like what Hawk suggests
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

isuhawkeye

here is a company that I have wanted to check out for some time now.
http://www.dropzonetactical.com/lbe/modcanvest.html

Senior

I just bought a GI Issue Ranger R.A.C.K to update my load bearing gear.
It's made like the tradition Rhodesian Chest Rig.  It has criss crossing straps in the back.  I also just bought a 3 day assault pack that is GI Issue.
The 3 day pack and patrol pack from the CFP-90 look like they have the same cubic inches in storage.  The 3 day pack looks like it is better designed
for carrying .  The patrol pack from the CFP-90 looks more like a large pocket with straps versus a patrol pack.  I think the 3 day assault pack
could be modified (adding fastex buckles in the appropriate places to snap
to the CFP-90.  I plan to do this, so I can continue to use my CFP-90 for my
72 hour pack.  All my gear is made by SDS.  The fit of the R.A.C.K. and the
3 day assault pack is very comfortable. 

Regarding the straps on the CFP-90 patrol pack, you could have the nylon
take-up strap lengthened to accommodate bulky clothing.
If you buy the 3 day assault pack make sure the description says complete
with plastic stiffener and pads.  The pack has a stiff  plastic sheet with foam padding attached that acts a internal frame(????).  The pack also has
an internal pocket with criss cross straps to secure something(radio????).

I paid 25.00 for the R.A.C.K.(woodland) and 20.00 for the pack(woodland). 

;) :D :o

IceNine

http://www.lapolicegear.com/blackhawk-strike-commando-recon-harness.html

This one works really well, just don't buy the back plate.

It is molle in front and cross staps in back.  the places where you put pouches in front are well clear of where the straps on the CFP-90 are, and you can wear this one in the car comfortably.

and I'm sure you can find a similar knockoff somewhere
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

gistek

If the problem's that the straps are too wide spaced, add a chest strap between them.

Cheap & dirty, loop a short bungy.

Prettier, but a little more work, use a webbed strap.

sandman

Just adding to the thought process:

I understand that all of these packs from companies such as LA police gear, Drop Zone Tactical, etc. are very "pretty" as gistek pointed out. The packs blend in well with the uniform theme (Form).

Function is the issue I want to raise. The military and police packs are designed around a specific concept, to carry beans, bullets, and associated items for weapons.

New idea:

Why not use items already on the market specific for the great outdoors, commercial/civilian items from REI or other manufacturers?

They come in great colors (visibility)! Tones down the "Rambo" gestalt.

Products can be cheaper....and more comfortable.

Why GI stuff?
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

IceNine

GI stuff is cheap and readily available.

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

isuhawkeye

QuoteNew idea:

Why not use items already on the market specific for the great outdoors, commercial/civilian items from REI or other manufacturers?

They come in great colors (visibility)! Tones down the "Rambo" gestalt.

Products can be cheaper....and more comfortable.

Why GI stuff?

At one point in time I agreed with you, but then things changed. 

Before the current conflict military gear was more bulky, less functional, and less appropriate to the SAR mission.  Then things started to change.  The military adopted some of the design characteristics that outdoor equipment had been using for years.  We now see fleece, gore-tex, and moisture wicking technology.  These are great advancements in comfort and functionality. 

After these tech advancements came about the conflicts in the middle east erupted.  Current Military missions are often times based upon mounted teams traveling in vehicles, dismounting, and going to work.  This mission profile is early similar to the work that CAP ground teams work.  They ride around, dismount for DF readings, and then they get back into their vehicles.  With these mission profiles in mind load carriers, and pouch systems can be customized to be functional on on the groung and in the vehicle

With these items in mind I think that the new military equipment is very appropriate for CAP's use

sandman

Thanks!

Clarification; that's why I asked!
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

Senior

Why GI Stuff?

It is somewhat cheap and available, but it is also designed to last.
Since we have to buy our own gear I believe you get more for your money
when you buy GI Stuff.  If taken care of, usually, GI stuff will last a long time.  I have towels from Basic Training( 15 years ago) that are still in excellent condition, and yes I use them pretty regularly.

GI stuff is tested to extreme temps and conditions.  Think of what a cadet
can do to equipment=what a private can do to equipment ;) :o
You could mix and match commercial gear with GI stuff to have the best of
both worlds.

I was issued poly pro long underwear in Basic, 1993.  I bought my Goretex parka in 1993.  The load bearing gear has greatly improved.  I still think the Large ALICE pack and suspenders, pistol belt combo is a good and very cheap starter set.

maverik

I am using a fast attack plate carrier from battle labs. Works great nice and compact and mobile... only down side you gotta buy fake SAPI plates to have it stand right.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

IceNine

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Walkman

Can one of you who uses a vest-type arrangement post a pic of you wearing it with a backpack?

maverik

I use a MOLLE 3 day with it and if you get it from diamond back tactical with military discount it's like 80 bucks.... got mine on ebay ;D
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

Trouble

Quote from: Walkman on January 27, 2009, 01:02:57 AM
I keep thinking of a Molle vest or something, but for some reason I can;t visualize all those pouched leaving room for backpack straps. Do they really work well?

Any one have a pic to share?

I have to agree with isuhawkeye. I have use just about everything around and the best set up I have ever run with is an LBV-88 and 1900 cu in Climbing day pack.

I have recently moved to using a similar set up, except I now use a Mini chest rig made by 5.11 tactical (Molle version) and a Kigali 30L Patrol pack as my 24 hr gear.

5.11 also now makes 2 Responder series Packs a 24 hour and a 72 hour model, both are RED and have Molle / PALS webbing all over them.  They both look sweet.
Chris Pumphrey, Capt. CAP
MD-023

(C/FO ret.)