Main Menu

What DF equipment is this?

Started by vento, March 07, 2014, 06:38:30 AM

vento

Can somebody identify the DF unit used by this cadet?

a2capt

Yes, that's the ProFIND SAR box. Someone around here had one for a while.

a2capt

Wonder when we'll get this ..  ;)
http://www.ircos.ru/en/rsk_csa.html

Something about that makes me wonder if you're going to get a headache.

vento

NIN

Quote from: a2capt on March 07, 2014, 07:19:19 AM
Wonder when we'll get this ..  ;)
http://www.ircos.ru/en/rsk_csa.html

Something about that makes me wonder if you're going to get a headache.

"in Soviet Russia, you not find direction, direction find you!"

(on a lighter note, a guy who I knew who had the totally WRONG idea about SAR joined CAP back in the early 1990s, around the time we had several SAR missions in Michigan that resulted in absolutely no find, and occurred during a period of absolutely horrid weather that had ground teams poking around in lots of ground fog with zero air cover.  This guy bought an old Suburban to use as a SAR team vehicle, and he bought a marine radar unit to mount on top with the reasoning that "we should be able to spot metal in the woods with this.."  I applaud the original thinking, but as a GTL, there was *no* way I was going to show up to a mission base with a radar unit attached to the top of the vehicle. We'd get laughed out of town)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

JoeTomasone

Al Sayre

We call it the cheese block, & it's almost as useful...  I did a comparison test between it and a Little Lper, the cheese block was off by about 30 degrees at less than 100 yards. (and yes I know how to use them both)
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eclipse

Quote from: JoeTomasone on March 07, 2014, 12:33:31 PM
Quote from: rugger1869 on March 07, 2014, 07:09:49 AM
Looks like a Seimac ProFIND SAR DF.

AKA the "NoFIND"...   ;D

+1 100% junk, even the beacon it comes with is junk.

"That Others May Zoom"

sardak

QuoteWe call it the cheese block
Everyone I know in the DF world uses "cheese block" in reference to the L-Tronics LL-16 (the elongated orange digital replacement for the "blue box," shown in this link).  What's pictured is, as stated along with its codenames, the Seimac Pro-Find.

Mike

coudano

i've seen ham club guys do it with a coat hanger on the end of a broomstick...
just sayin.

SarDragon

The only time I ever saw one of these in use was at a SAREX. I found the beacon by body shadowing with a Radio Shack JetStream receiver in less half the time it took with the "No Find". He never showed up with it again.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: sardak on March 07, 2014, 10:12:38 PM
QuoteWe call it the cheese block
Everyone I know in the DF world uses "cheese block" in reference to the L-Tronics LL-16 (the elongated orange digital replacement for the "blue box," shown in this link).  What's pictured is, as stated along with its codenames, the Seimac Pro-Find.

Mike

As resident cheesehead, I concur.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: SarDragon on March 08, 2014, 06:35:54 AM
The only time I ever saw one of these in use was at a SAREX. I found the beacon by body shadowing with a Radio Shack JetStream receiver in less half the time it took with the "No Find". He never showed up with it again.

We have one (that I know of) in FLWG.   It was soundly thrashed by the Sniffer in multiple rounds.  :)

Walkman

I'm glad so many of you posted about the quality of the Cheeseblock. I've only ever used the old school Little L'pers and wondered how newer units performed against them. Is the Little L'per still pretty much the best out there or is there a newer model that is just as good?

JoeTomasone

I would rank the various options out there thusly:

1. Sniffer (far and away the best)
2. New (yellow cheese block) L-Per
3. Old L-Per
4. Tie between the NoFIND and the Tracker for "worst in class".

sardak

QuoteI would rank the various options out there thusly:

1. Sniffer (far and away the best)
2. New (yellow cheese block) L-Per
3. Old L-Per
4. Tie between the NoFIND and the Tracker for "worst in class".
And there is a significant gap, measured in orders of magnitude, between #3 and #4. I know some very experienced DFers that rate the old blue box L-Per higher than the new yellow cheese block L-Per.
QuoteIs the Little L'per still pretty much the best out there
Yes.
Quoteor is there a newer model that is just as good?
Joe and some others say the Sniffer works very well. I've only used one once and that was at a class.

Mike

JoeTomasone

Quote from: sardak on March 08, 2014, 04:21:22 PM
Joe and some others say the Sniffer works very well. I've only used one once and that was at a class.

I would say that virtually everyone I've demonstrated the Sniffer to wouldn't want to hunt with anything else afterwards based on how many made that very statement.

I am (in my spare time - hah!) working on a document that covers how to hunt with it. 

Spaceman3750

The cheese block is way more useful if you learn how to turn down the sensitivity, which many people don't. Otherwise, I've had the cheese block ignore the true signal and point me to a reflection exclusively, while the old lper ignored the reflection and pegged the true signal

Luis R. Ramos

Why, even after some others have posted the cheese block is the new L-Per, others still use the cheese block to refer to the No Find?!!!

???

Make your minds up!!!!!!!!

??? ???

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer