Holiday gift gear-a-palooza!

Started by Walkman, November 30, 2012, 03:38:26 AM

Walkman

With turkey leftovers fully digested, it's time to write up the gear wish-lists for the holidays so mommies & grandpas everywhere know how to feed our addiction. So here's what I'm thinking:

• Post the things you need/are drooling over
  • Receive ideas, reviews & recommendations from the CT community
  • Help your fellow CT gear hound out with your reviews (with links where possible)
  • Profit

I'll start.

I really need a good flashlight. My D-cell maglight is bright, but too cumbersome to carry around on missions. My old Navy crook-necked light is way too dim, but I like how it can clip on my pack straps for hands-free work. What's a really good, bright flashlight that's reasonably light and easy to carry around for ground & air ops.

I also want a headlamp.

Any ideas on warm, water-proof winter gloves that provide decent finger control? I've got odd hands, though. My palms are large but I have shirt fingers.

Your turn. Let's have some fun!

Eclipse

Flashlight: Energizer Hardcase tufsw21
http://data.energizer.com/prolights/content/hardcasepro_tufsw21p_desc.html

Headlamp: Coast HL7
http://www.amazon.com/Coast-HL7-Focusing-Lumen-Headlamp/dp/B005NXPW5W

Both are a big cup of awesome.

I want to get another Fubar (mine walked, no idea where):

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

For lights, Home Depot has an excellent selection, ranging from $5 to $50 or so.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ol'fido

I like the Coleman Max lights at Walmart. The one I have is 115 lumens(very bright) and if you twist the head it switches to blue and red lights. There is also a headlamp version with a red light option.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

♠SARKID♠

I want a Protec A-Bravo Half Shell.  We wear orange hard hats in WIWG when doing ground ops but the standard construction helmet always falls off my head.  Plus it comes with a picatinny rail so I can put on a better light than you can get in a headlamp.

Outdoor Research Crocodiles Gaiters

Moisture wicking clothing - BlackHawk, UnderArmour, 5.11; can't go wrong.  Socks, undies, shirts.

A decent hatchet.

Walkman

krnlpanick

2nd Lt. Christopher A. Schmidt, CAP

Garibaldi

Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

krnlpanick

If CAP ever authorizes jumps this would be a pretty wicked jump helmet - it is mil-spec for HAHO and HALO jumps :)

Of course it also has the headset with microphone for your comms, a piccadelly rail for your light and front night vision mounting.

SarDragon

Quote from: krnlpanick on December 01, 2012, 08:57:54 PM
If CAP ever authorizes jumps this would be a pretty wicked jump helmet - it is mil-spec for HAHO and HALO jumps :)

Of course it also has the headset with microphone for your comms, a piccadelly Picatinny rail for your light and front night vision mounting.

FTFY.

FYI, military comm mics and headsets don't match up well with civilian comm panels, both connector-wise, and impedance-wise. Connectors are easy, impedance matching not so much.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

krnlpanick

Quote from: SarDragon on December 01, 2012, 09:10:58 PM
FTFY.

Thanks.

Quote from: SarDragon on December 01, 2012, 09:10:58 PM
FYI, military comm mics and headsets don't match up well with civilian comm panels, both connector-wise, and impedance-wise. Connectors are easy, impedance matching not so much.

There are fairly simple ways to alter impedance, doing it in a small form factor like that may be a little trickier.

♠SARKID♠

^^That's a modified version of the Protec I want.  Same thing plus a headset and paint job.