ELT Practice Frequency "signal generator"

Started by Major Lord, January 10, 2007, 03:38:36 PM

Major Lord

Gentlemen,

I am going into production on Fox Hunt transmitters for Ham applications ( soon to be available through www. byonics.com) My question to the group is whether there is a need for low cost signal generators ( You can't operate a test transmiter unless it is FCC type approved, but "signal generators" are for "testing" the ELT receivers. ) These transmitter are phase modulated, so you can receive them in AM or FM modes, and use the Byonics "Pocket Fox" microcontroller. It will send a tone sequence continously or intermittently. You can set a delay before the device goes on, and  morse code ID intermittently. Power output would be about 250 mW, and it would run on 9 volts. If there is any interest in this, I will order parts to test on 121.775 to make sure that there is absloutely no bleed over to 121.5! These would be sold in kit form only and I would verify that the purchaser is a CAP-COM guy before sale. ( Not sure how I would do that-can't ask for the secret handshake over the web....)
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

floridacyclist

Quote from: CaptLord on January 10, 2007, 03:38:36 PM
would be sold in kit form only and I would verify that the purchaser is a CAP-COM guy before sale. ( Not sure how I would do that-can't ask for the secret handshake over the web....)
Request his/her name and CAPID and cross-check your info with the member qualification record in Eservices.....you'd at least know they're a member and have a good idea what they do in CAP.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Major Lord

Excellent idea! MUCH easier than sawing them in half and counting their rings-oh wait, thats trees... no wonder our squadron is getting smaller...:)
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

lordmonar

Quote from: CaptLord on January 10, 2007, 05:35:04 PM
Excellent idea! MUCH easier than sawing them in half and counting their rings-oh wait, thats trees... no wonder our squadron is getting smaller...:)

I that what you have been doing?!  We use Carbon-14 dating at my squadron.  They scream like stuck pigs when I have to saw off a sample.

Geese...you'd think it hurts or something!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

smj58501

Quote from: lordmonar on January 10, 2007, 03:54:37 PM
PM me your address and give me a price!

Ditto... I am interested in the price as well. Thx
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

capchiro

Our squadron could sure use one.  Please let me know how much.  Thanks.
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Pylon

I'd be interesting in pricing information.  Do send along if you could.  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Major Lord

Okay, I guess there is my answer! I will put a few units together as low-cost Beta Test units for CAP units as soon as I have printed circuit boards on hand. I tested a unit for bleed over with my pre-production prototype and it was very narrow banded on 121.775. It did not put out a lot of power, since the circuits were optimized for 146.565 MHz, but generally, this means it will work much better with higher output power at lower frequencies. Remember that this will NOT be an FCC approved transmitter and will be sold as a "kit" ( about 20 parts to solder, nothing tricky, so surface mount parts) For those of you who want to look at the functional capabilities of the Unit, check out  http://byonics.com/pocketfox/pocketfox.zip

(just in case it screws up and jams somebody, make sure and program in the Coast Guards or Sea Scouts Call sign-just kidding...)

My unit is not the Pocket Fox. It just uses the pocket fox chip since the Pocket fox was discontinued, but you can look at the Microprocessor functions, download the configuration software, etc . If you want, I will E-Mail pictures of the pre-production prototype.