Main Menu

Rocket ID

Started by freeflight, November 18, 2006, 12:49:52 AM

freeflight

Question:
What rocket is this?

lordmonar

Looks like a Delta II with the Castor IV-A solid rocker boosters.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

AlphaSigOU

Delta II 7925 with an 8-foot 'Straight Eight' payload fairing. The small white paint area on the fuel tank is another identifier for a 7925. Only the Delta II 6925 flew with Castor IV-A strap-ons; currently, Delta IIs fly with ATK Graphite Epoxy Motors (GEMs).

This was the launch of Delta 247 - Advanced Composition Explorer (ACE).

More info and history of the Delta launch vehicle: http://kevinforsyth.net/delta/
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

freeflight

The answer is yes it is a Delta II.  As can be seen there are those who know more specific information then I do.  Good Job.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: freeflight on December 01, 2006, 07:21:26 AM
The answer is yes it is a Delta II.  As can be seen there are those who know more specific information then I do.  Good Job.

(takes bow)  ;D

Considering how I have copies of blueprints for the Delta II - maybe one of these days I'll build a flying model from the data...

And yes, there is a Federal Standard paint chip number for 'Delta Blue' - FS 25193.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

freeflight

Ok here is another rocket to id. This rocket helped launch a test satellite for communications. For extras points what are the booster rockets on the side. Guess right and I will send you drawings to build this rocket from an Estes Yankee.

Major Carrales

Quote from: freeflight on December 16, 2006, 09:28:57 AM
Ok here is another rocket to id. This rocket helped launch a test satellite for communications. For extras points what are the booster rockets on the side. Guess right and I will send you drawings to build this rocket from an Estes Yankee.

Yikes!...I await the answer.  I don't want to become a "Google Hero," thus I will humbly await the response.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

AlphaSigOU

I know what it is... but I'm gonna defer for a few posts until a few others have a crack at it.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

freeflight

AlphaSigOU, I suppose you have been reading mister Alway's book. You will find the answer on page 183. You will also find a better drawing of the boosters on page 195.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: freeflight on December 17, 2006, 06:57:56 AM
AlphaSigOU, I suppose you have been reading mister Alway's book. You will find the answer on page 183. You will also find a better drawing of the boosters on page 195.

Having been a former flying scale model rocket geek, Peter Alway's book is always near. (I contributed some corrections to the Delta II scale data in a later edition of Rockets Of The World.)  ;D But this particular one was a popular one for building a scale model. Now if you're talking about flying the FAI's S7 (scale) event, you're kinda limited to building either a Saturn IB, Ariane or Soyuz, mainly because they are pretty complex in shape. The Russkies have their flying Soyuz full of bells and whistles, especially in the staging department.

No takers? Well, I'll bite: it's a Shotput; the boosters are Sergeants, if I remember correctly.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

freeflight

The answer is the Shotput. The boosters are Recruits the same ones used on the Little Joe I.

As for the drawing I will have it posted in a short time.  I'm still working on it.

freeflight

Ok here is another rocket.  Hopefully this one will stump AlphaSigOU.

MIKE

Let's try to keep it in one thread.  Topics merged.
Mike Johnston

rocket1

The Mercury Atlas pictured was nick named Big Joe.  It was an Atlas D with an unmanned Mercury capsule as the payload (and the only one, to my recollection, that was ever launched without the escape tower).

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: freeflight on December 18, 2006, 01:00:42 AM
Ok here is another rocket.  Hopefully this one will stump AlphaSigOU.

Too easy, bud... though rocket1 already answered before I could!  ;D

Big Joe was nothing more than a boilerplate Mercury capsule.

Here's one to stump all but the most die-hard of rocket geeks: what was the serial number of John Glenn's Atlas booster?
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

freeflight

RocketPropelled

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on December 18, 2006, 03:18:53 AM
Here's one to stump all but the most die-hard of rocket geeks: what was the serial number of John Glenn's Atlas booster?
[never mind, I was wrong.]

rocket1

Glenn's Atlas D booster was SN 109.  And for the superstitous among us, the spacecraft SN was 13.

freeflight