CAP and Army National Guard Agreements

Started by captrncap, July 09, 2007, 05:06:34 PM

captrncap

I was wondering if someone could point me to a document that states it is OK for an Army National Guard base commander to use CAP members to support non-combat functions (if one exists).

I found something like that on the Air Force side but nothing on the NG side.

Would it be covered by an Army policy for the Army National Guard?

JohnKachenmeister

I don't think there is such authority.  A wing commander can establish an MOU with an Army Guard organization, but our Congresional mandate is to "Perform any non-combatant mission or program of the Air Force."
Another former CAP officer

RiverAux

CAP and the Florida National Guard have an MOU regarding use of Chaplains for NG support -- I'm fairly sure it is not limited to Air National Guard.  But kach is right in that an MOU would be needed since there isn't explicit authorization elsewhere for our use by Army National Guard - its not prohibited, just not explicitly pre-approved. 

Nick Critelli

Quote from: captrncap on July 09, 2007, 05:06:34 PM
I was wondering if someone could point me to a document that states it is OK for an Army National Guard base commander to use CAP members to support non-combat functions (if one exists).

The Wing's relationship with the National Guard will be covered by the Wing's MOU with its' state government.  The Guard is considered an agency of the State when it is in its Title 32 role.  In this regard our services are provided under Title 36 to "state and local" government.

When the Guard is "activated" by the President it transforms to its Title 10 military role and is considered part of the Army. If we are called upon to provide services to the Guard in its Title 10 role, we have to process it through the Air Force under our Title 10 role "assistance to the federal government"

RiverAux

While the CAP-state MOU should cover use by the National Guard these agreements are extremely vague and I would hate to try to run a regular program with the Guard through the state agreement.  Depending on exactly what type of activity we're talking about and the duration of the program, having a specific MOU between CAP and the Guard would probably be easier in the long run, though more trouble in the beginning to set up.