What HF Comms are going on?

Started by Nomex Maximus, July 06, 2007, 01:28:46 PM

Nomex Maximus

Hello all,

I am a new senior member a pilot / scanner / getting tagged as the new comms officer for our squadron. I am also a ham operator (which is why I am going to be the new comms officer). Some questions that you might be able to give me guidance on:

1) Are the HF freqs active ? Is it worth putting up an HF antenna and listening or checking in?

2) If HF is active, what radios can be used? I have a number of HF rigs that have been modified for MARS (can operate out of the ham bands). Can I still use them for HF work or are the new regs going to require me to purchase new radios?

3) What direction should I go radio-wise if I want VHF in the car? Again, I have MARS capable radios that I could use. Where do I buy a radio from?

4) Does CAP interoperate with MARS? Does MARS even still exist?

Since becoming a pilot two years ago I just have had very little time or interest for ham radio, so I haven't put up antennas. That and moving around a lot for the past ten years I would actually have to go put up an antenna to check if HF is active and I don't want that exercise if it isn't.

Thanks in advance,

John Babrick
SM GLR-MI-190
Grand Rapids, MI  area

Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

arajca

Your best source for info is your wing director of communications. They'll have all the info you need and more.

There is a CAP Communications Yahoo group also. It's here.

DKruse

Just because your radio equipment is MARS capable doesn't mean you can use them for CAP.  In fact, if it is just modified amateur radio gear, you can't use it in the vast majority of cases.

CAP radio equipment must meet NTIA standards.  There is a website that lists NTIA-compliant VHF and HF gear.  Go to https://ntc.cap.af.mil/comm/index.cfm and look at the Equipment Compliance Lists.

Dalen Kruse, Capt., CAP
St. Croix Composite Squadron
NCR-MN-122

Ad hadem cum gloria. Faciamus operum.

Tubacap

Welcome to CAP!  Have fun and enjoy all of it's many opportunities!
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

IceNine

First off Welcome!

Now into the sad part of CAP Comms.  There are HF frequencies that are worked on a daily basis but they are becoming more and more sparse.  I cannot tell you the HF Frequencies but you are more than welcome to follow this link to the members login site where you can find the communications FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY documents

https://ntc.cap.af.mil/comm/index.cfm

Unfortunately there are only a couple of amateur radios that are compliant with NTIA Standards.  the ones you do find will be either HF or VHF compliant but not both.  So the answer to your question you will most likely have to buy new radios.  OR get in touch with your wing Director of Communications, he most likely has a lot of radios both mobile, portable and our version of better than shouting radios (FRS) radios that we call Inter Squad Radios.

As far as a VHF mobile or portable there is a CAP member who sells radios to us at discount rates make sure before you go to that site that you have your CAPID ready

cap.rradio.biz
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

RogueLeader

Those are some great deals on radios :o 
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

floridacyclist

The SGC2000 is good for both CAP and MARS and can often be found for as little as $500.00 on Ebay. At least that's how much I paid for mine.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org