Aircraft "Find Markings"

Started by Spacecenter, June 10, 2007, 02:52:59 PM

Spacecenter

Crusing the CAP site awhile ago I ran across a reference to Distress Find markings on Corp airframes. I am unable to find it now.

While it seems a minor thing this is actually a great media op. And we do need media exposure.

Thanks,

Matt Scherzi

(and no, it's not my first)
CA434 Since 1991

BillB

Capmart used to have a "Find" decal for corporate aircraft, I don't know if Vanguard does since I never look at their web site. I've seen the decal mounted on the vertical stabilizer, just in front of the aircraft doors, and just behind the aide windows. There doesn't seem to be any paperwork saying where the decal goes.In one of the older 60 series regs, it said it was supposed to go on the tail, but  that was left out of newer versions.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

RiverAux

I have seen them on planes and even on vans and were given for "actual" airplane finds.  Personally, I would rather they be issued for "Saves". 

jeders

Quote from: RiverAux on June 10, 2007, 04:07:55 PM
I have seen them on planes and even on vans and were given for "actual" airplane finds.  Personally, I would rather they be issued for "Saves". 

It would be nice to give them for saves, but answer me this. If an airplane overhead sees the target, how are they going to accomplish a save. Answer, they can't, they have to call in someone else. This is why the Find ribbon is authorized to be painted, or a decal attached, to the aircraft. As far as vans, nothing in the regs about it, but I presonally have no problem with it.

And yes it is actually authorized in CAPR 39-3
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

RiverAux

QuoteIt would be nice to give them for saves, but answer me this. If an airplane overhead sees the target, how are they going to accomplish a save.
By having located the target in the first place so someone could go in on the ground to help them.  Its hard to do the second, without having done the first...

jeders

Quote from: RiverAux on June 16, 2007, 12:55:34 PM
QuoteIt would be nice to give them for saves, but answer me this. If an airplane overhead sees the target, how are they going to accomplish a save.
By having located the target in the first place so someone could go in on the ground to help them.  Its hard to do the second, without having done the first...

Yes, but that's a find, not a save. You can find someone without saving them.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

RiverAux

Well duh.  Thats why I said they should be put on the plane when there is a save involved!!!!  I don't think they should be put on for finds, though those are still rare enough (assuming they're distress finds) that you wouldn't clutter up the plane too much. 

SarDragon

Quote from: RiverAux on June 16, 2007, 09:12:38 PM
Well duh.  Thats why I said they should be put on the plane when there is a save involved!!!!  I don't think they should be put on for finds, though those are still rare enough (assuming they're distress finds) that you wouldn't clutter up the plane too much. 

Well, from what I've seen, the plane gets one sticker, and no more. It's not like they are turning the planes into WWII and Viet Nam combat look-alikes with multiple "awards".
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SAR-EMT1

Tohopefully solve this I would remind the membership that A/C can carry out organ and blood transfers for the Red Cross. If they complete this SAVE decals can go onto the A/C.
Find decals though are good enough. As for placement refer to the AF and put them on - or next to- the pilotside door. 
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

RiverAux

While once common, I haven't heard of many blood/organ transport missions in a long time.  Lot of private companies that do it now that are probably easier to work with than we are. 

mikeylikey

^^ Katrina!  I know of 3 organ/blood transports from my wing that were not even part of that (terribly written) AAR.
What's up monkeys?

Spacecenter

"And yes it is actually authorized in CAPR 39-3"
Thanks to Jeders for the above.

It's interesting to see the different viewpoints on the legitimacy of finds versus saves, and aircrew versus ground crews.

The reason I asked the question is for PA use. We do a lousy job of promoting ourselves. By having a find or even better a save presentation you get to expose the organization to the media in a very positive light.

Also-this is great reinforcement for the folks in the field to get recognized. While I really appreciate the 30% raise we got last year it's important for members to feel recognized. Also-it's easier for your family to accept the members time away from home when the community sees and maybe appreciates the efforts.

Anyway, thanks for the info and the viewpoints.

Matt
CA434 Since 1991

RiverAux

Of course the find ribbon can also be given for non-distress finds (10 I believe), but I seriously doubt anyone would want to see find markings put on planes for them.