Red Cross Instructor

Started by epound, May 14, 2007, 05:57:29 PM

epound

Many a years ago I was certified as a CPR/First Aid Instructor.  Of course it was too long ago for the Red Cross to allow me to teach.  Are there and Red Cross Instructor Trainers out there that would like to put a class together.  I live in the NYC area but will travel a couple hours if need be.  Thanks.

Erick Pound, SSgt, CAP
--
Erick Pound, SSgt, CAP

mikeylikey

I think there is one in Oregon....JK!  Actaully are you able to make the trip to Philly?  If so PM me please so I can get you in contact with the co-ordinators. 
What's up monkeys?

epound

Philly is close enough.  That info would be great.  I will send you a PM with my email address.  Thanks for the help.
--
Erick Pound, SSgt, CAP

desert rat

look at ECSI to teach CPR.  They may credential you based on your past experience with red cross.  Much better organization to teach CPR and first aid with.  Many CAP units have instructors teaching with them, including Hawk Mountin.

epound

Ok, I'll take a look that that as well.  Thanks for the info!
--
Erick Pound, SSgt, CAP

SARMedTech

Watch out for credentials based on past experience. The CPR guidelines and protocols have changed so it probably wouldnt be as easy as just getting "granfathered" in.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

lordmonar

Your best bet is to just contact your local chapter and pay the fee.

Cross chapter instructor privileges and service provider agreements are a pain the the buttocks.

I am a former Health and Safety Instructor Trainer and WS IT.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Pylon

Quote from: epound on May 14, 2007, 05:57:29 PM
Many a years ago I was certified as a CPR/First Aid Instructor.  Of course it was too long ago for the Red Cross to allow me to teach.  Are there and Red Cross Instructor Trainers out there that would like to put a class together.  I live in the NYC area but will travel a couple hours if need be.  Thanks.

Erick Pound, SSgt, CAP

We've got a SM in our squadron who is certified as an instructor and we run courses for Basic First Aid/Adult CPR/AED for our members, but I believe the certification is National Safety Council, not Red Cross.   Syracuse area is probably just outside of your driving range, too, at about a solid 5 - 6 hour drive.   :P

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

epound

Well...the drive isn't the problem.  I need someone who is not only an instructor but a instructor trainer (Train the trainer, if you will).  And I would prefer Red Cross.  It's funny, for my real job I'm a Firefighter with New York City...and I can't find anyone to do the training...yet.  Actually, that's not that funny.  Anyway, if anyone happens to run across someone, please pass on my number.  Thanks.
--
Erick Pound, SSgt, CAP

mdickinson

I am a Red Cross CPR Instructor.  I was able to take all the necessary Red Cross classes to reach this point - for free.  And you can, too, if you're willing to devote the time.

How? By volunteering with the Disaster Services department of the local Red Cross chapter.

If you become a Disaster Services Volunteer (which involves taking two really short courses and filling out a few forms) then your "Health & Safety" classes (CPR, first aid, CPR for the Professional Rescuer, Wilderness First Aid, etc.) are free.  (At least, that's the policy in all the Red Cross chapters near me. Check with your local chapter.)  Take a few extra classes such as "Damage Assessment" and you can qualify for CAP's Disaster Preparedness Ribbon.

Once you've taken the basic courses, if you go to the director of health & safety classes and say "I would like to be a volunteer CPR instructor," they may offer you a deal where you can attend the Instructor Candidate class and the other necessary instructor classes for free, so long as you agree to teach for them as a volunteer.

Now years later, I have taught 100+ CPR classes (initially for free - after a while I became as a paid instructor) and have learned a LOT! I enjoy working at the Red Cross, and it's also nice to be able to tell local CAP units that I can come teach Red Cross CPR/First Aid any time they need me. (They still have to pay fees to the Red Cross for the books and cards, but having a instructor on hand who will teach the class for free does cut down on the cost.)

Who else has had a good experience volunteering with the Red Cross? Do you volunteer in their Disaster Services dept. only, or also as an instructor in their Health & Safety dept?