Teens missing off FL coast

Started by Flying Pig, August 02, 2015, 01:20:09 PM

Flying Pig

Is CAP involved in the search for the two missing teens off the Florida coast?   I believe last I heard the CG suspended the search.

A.Member

Don't know but I highly doubt it.  Their boat was found well over 60 miles offshore.  That's far beyond our allowed search range.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Flying Pig

Ahhh copy.  I didnt realize their boat had been located.  I haven't really been following it.  Ive had a few calls at the hangar asking if we are involved in the search.  Its on the other side of the state and we don't conduct over water SAR either with a Huey.  You don't get very far on 1.5hrs of gas.  The first I had heard about it someone called the hangar a few days ago and asked if we were searching for the missing kids off the coast.  I said No but told them I would check on it.   I called dispatch.  After a few minutes we figured out they were talking about a search a couple hundred miles away.  Funny how people watch TV or social media and think EVERYTHING is happening in their home town.

PHall

Boat was found capsized, but undamaged, 60 plus miles off the coast on the second day of the search.

Flying Pig

I read that.  On a couple of helicopter oriented FB pages the family is making pleas for pilots in NC and SC to volunteer their time and aircraft to search the ocean.  Its a sad deal.  They didnt leave for their short trip with any sort of survival supplies.  They left out of S. FL, boat was found further north around central FL.   

I read the Navy and the Coast Guard has suspended all operations related to the SAR.

RRLE

The CG located the boat but didn't retrieve it - as they put it, they protect lives not property. They lowered a rescue diver to the boat and checked it out and verified it was the missing boat. Today when as salvage firm went to pick-up the boat in the open seas, it couldn't be found either.

TheSkyHornet

I believe they called the USCG Aux anyway, which is extremely popular as an extra set of hands for the coastal areas and waterways