Community Emergency Response Team (CERT)

Started by LTC_Gadget, March 23, 2007, 02:45:02 AM

LTC_Gadget

Some folks have said that they're concerned that we're insufficiently trained, not professional, etc..

Well, Dept of Homeland Security will be encouraging those even less so:

http://www.citizencorps.gov/cert/

"The Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) program helps train people to be better prepared to respond to emergency situations in their communities. When emergencies happen, CERT members can give critical support to first responders, provide immediate assistance to victims, and organize spontaneous volunteers at a disaster site. CERT members can also help with non-emergency projects that help improve the safety of the community.

The CERT course is taught in the community by a trained team of first responders who have completed a CERT Train-the-Trainer course conducted by their state training office for emergency management, or FEMA's Emergency Management Institute (EMI), located in Emmitsburg, Maryland. CERT training includes disaster preparedness, disaster fire suppression, basic disaster medical operations, and light search and rescue operations.

Over the next two years, the CERT program aims to double the number of participants, with over 400,000 individuals completing the 20 plus hours of training. Train-the-Trainer sessions will be held in all 56 states and territories over the next year to expand the program throughout the United States."

"The Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Program educates people about disaster preparedness for hazards that may impact their area and trains them in basic disaster response skills, such as fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization, and disaster medical operations. Using the training learned in the classroom and during exercises, CERT members can assist others in their neighborhood or workplace following an event when professional responders are not immediately available to help. CERT members also are encouraged to support emergency response agencies by taking a more active role in emergency preparedness projects in their community."
----------
So, now, twenty hours of training and folks will be of the opinion that they're qualified to do what we do??  On the face of it, it ranks right up there with eight hour classes for teachers on a range of subjects from child abuse, to ADD, where they take one class, and suddenly think they're a subject matter expert.  Let's hope that they also teach them how to be smart enough to know what they don't know.. For the content that's there, it's scary.. Who knows 'the rest of the story?'

V/R,
John Boyd, LtCol, CAP
Mitchell and Earhart unnumbered, yada, yada
The older I get, the more I learn.  The more I learn, the more I find left yet to learn.

floridacyclist

How do you think they see themselves as being like us? I must have totally missed something. Granted, some groups are organized more as FD/EMS auxiliaries (and some actually deploy to other areas, something that I have a basic problem with in many ways as I think it goes against the fundamental idea of neighbors training to help neighbors, but I also understand the usefulness of minimally-trained volunteers, epecially if they have a working understanding of how to help and when to get out of the way - they can be a great force multiplier), but the main thrust is to teach people to take care of themselves and their neighbors when a major disaster hits and the professional responders are either too busy with multiple calls or unable to respond due to blocked roads etc etc. For example, in my neighborhood three well-placed trees will effectively block all vehicular traffic in and out until you cut your way through; that's not too far-fetched a scenario in the immediate aftermath of a hurricane.

One of the Firefighters (a Battallion Chief from Daytona) who taught our CERT TTT class told us how they were not allowed to enter the neighborhoods in Central Florida last month after the tornados until it was light enough to see....until they could go in, the only help those folks had was from the neighborhood CERT teams. CERT is not like some kind of "junior wannabe volunteer firefighter", it is simply neighbors learning how to prepare and take care of each other until the cavalry can arrive and I think it is very good training, especially for the cadets. In fact, much of our crash-site training is being based on the CERT training materials as the concepts of being on the scene of a potentially dangerous traumatic incident with professional help on the way but not expected immediately is very similar to what we would face whether a disaster struck our neighborhood or we were first on-scene at a plane crash with survivors.

A big part of the training is how to avoid being hurt; over 100 would-be rescuers were killed in the aftermath of the big Mexico City earthquake, and that was a major reason why the CERT concept was born. As a CERT TTT, I can vouch for the fact that we spend possibly more time teaching folks when to get out of the way or not attempt a rescue than when to move forward.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

wingnut

I have been first responder on several major disasters and I have to say that a cadre of partially trained community activists is a GREAT idea, people getting involved and prepared. ;D

All of our CAP members should be CERT trained, can't hurt, most CAP members have very little REAL disaster training. I say most! I know some of you carry survival gear in your Jocky shorts,  and in a pinch I would rather be with my Squadron buddys, but ??

sardak

Under the proposed NIMS credentialing, both Mountain Rescue and Wilderness SAR technicians must have:

CERT (G-371) or equivalent, for disaster related or INS (Incidents of National Significance) response.

In the same document general note 6 reads:
SAR-related resources such as Citizen Corps (Community Emergency Response Team [CERT], Volunteers in Police Support [VIPS], Medical Reserve Corps [MRC], FireCorps) and other SAR units can be utilized in Cold, Warm, and Hot Zone functions in wilderness and urban/disaster situations when they meet requirements for the given hazards to be entered or encountered at least at the "awareness" level as determined by the Operations Section member with the given hazard knowledge.

Mike

LTC_Gadget

Thanx, fc...
Everything you said makes sense, and fits into 'the big picture.'  I'm glad that I asked the question because I didn't get anything that you had to say out of what I read.  I was in a whole other neighborhood of thought. When they said 'light search and rescue,' etc., I could see volunteers showing up at a mission base wanting to volunteer to help us do what we do.  I wasn't thinking anywhere near what you explained. Thanx for getting me onto the right track, and for the enlightenment.  It makes sense now.

V/R,
John Boyd, LtCol, CAP
The older I get, the more I learn.  The more I learn, the more I find left yet to learn.

DNall

We're doing some stuff here in Texas, and this might get me smacked around, but basically they asked the state why we didn't get more ground missions, the state said we wweren't qual'd to do anything & suggested we get CERT, so the push is for CERT... having seen CERT teams in action, they aren't that impressive & no where near the training level I'd expect of front line CAP GTs. Certainly we need to stopgap the problem, and CERT is good intro training for disaster, but it is by no means anything but an intro. I do encourage getting it though as it serves as a good jumpstart to the other training & could make an inexperienced GTM functional in a disaster zone under good leadership. Just don't overplay it is all.

SAR-EMT1

I have run into a situation where a local official was going to use a CERT team as if they were the Green Berets of ES after a tornado... big mistake.
Although they are still touted as the local ESDA-King's personal Army.  >:(

Once I dealt with a search for an Alzheimer's pt.  I wanted to get  CAP involved however I ran into the ESDA director stating that the CERT was better trained and that-
"CAP GT's ain't worth s*&t ... I was a CAP member once and I should know... now get back to your friggin ambulance"

I would propose making CERT a req. for UDF.

-- Light SAR might fit that area and the CERT 'fanny pack' would be a precursor to the 24 and 72 hr gear packs of basic and advanced GT members. Finally it might help gain some familiarity of ability with local Authorities- as GTMs might do good to get SARTECH  - but thats a dif thread-

Thoughts.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

floridacyclist

Light SAR is Urban SAR...moving stuff off people. We do a lot of training on lifting with levers and cribbing....none of that wilderness stuff.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org

desert rat

Why don't you all just take the intro course to CERT online and see what they are about.  I took it in a few minutes.

https://www.citizencorps.gov/cert/training_mat.shtm

floridacyclist

Not sure if that gives the certificate or not, but you can also get it at http://www.training.fema.gov/emiweb/IS/is317.asp

Note that merely completing the online course doesn't count, you have to take the classes with the pratical too...although the online course is a good start.

We actually use the online course as our final exam AFTER we do the classroom work.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: floridacyclist on March 23, 2007, 11:19:02 AM
Light SAR is Urban SAR...moving stuff off people. We do a lot of training on lifting with levers and cribbing....none of that wilderness stuff.

Well then wouldnt Urban SAR fit right in with URBAN DIRECTION FINDING ?  ::)
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

LTC_Gadget

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on March 23, 2007, 10:04:12 AM
I have run into a situation where a local official was going to use a CERT team as if they were the Green Berets of ES after a tornado... big mistake.
Although they are still touted as the local ESDA-King's personal Army.  >:(

Once I dealt with a search for an Alzheimer's pt.  I wanted to get  CAP involved however I ran into the ESDA director stating that the CERT was better trained and that-
"CAP GT's ain't worth s*&t ... I was a CAP member once and I should know... now get back to your friggin ambulance"

THAT'S exactly what I was afraid of.  Fourteen to twenty hours of training, and they'll thing they're all that, and we don't know Maj. Jack.  If we 'cave in' and put their training first, aren't we "admitting" that they're right?  We spend more than twenty hours getting qualified in any/each of the specialties that we perform.  And that only makes us competent in one skill.  And we don't presume to think that we're SAR gods in any case.  I'd think someone at the top, both CAP and DHS needs to clarify that an 'introduction' doesn't constitute 'qualification' in anything.  As for the ESDA director that said what he did, I hope there's a special place in **** for him, and others like him.

V/R,
John Boyd, LtCol, CAP

floridacyclist

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on March 24, 2007, 09:49:12 AM
Well then wouldnt Urban SAR fit right in with URBAN DIRECTION FINDING ?  ::)
Totally different. UDF is completely non-emergency in nature and is often performed by the local FBO or Sheriff's Office. The person with half a roof and a 200-lb filing cabinet on his chest might feel differently about USAR and while it might be better to have professional USAR workers present, that might not always be an immediate option.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org

IronRangerMN

UDF and GT are very similar except GT requires knowlage on UDF skills. Not really the other way around though.
Be safe

floridacyclist

I'm not sure if you were replying to me and if you weren't, I apologize. I said that UDF wasn't emergency-related, not GTM/L.

Around here, we don't even mess with UDF training. We had one training blitz weekend a while back to get everyone qualified so that we could run ELT missions if they popped up (which almost never happens anymore) but since then most of our training has been weekend Ranger schools (I'm Project Officer for the North Florida Ranger School) and preparing for a week-long Communications Camp (lots of ham radio, Emergency Communications and ICS training in addition to all the normal CAP comm classes). My biggest issue with UDF is that everyone tries to get it to run missions, but when an airplane actually goes down, all you have are a bunch of blue-shirt and grey-slacks-wearing SMs or cadets who don't know a compass from a pair of combat boots. As an interim step (or for someone who simply has no interest in getting muddy and scratched) it's fine, I just hate to confuse it with "Emergency Services".
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
www.tallahasseecap.org

Psicorp

Quote from: IronRangerMN on March 26, 2007, 11:07:02 PM
The thing is many cadets and  seniors in CAP are in it for areospace stuff. That does not help for GT for a second. Actually, GT suffers greatly in a unit when they focus on AE. Im not sure if anyone will agree with me, many of you might be in for AE and pilot stuff. Ill just hope for the best in response to this.

Just remember, ES is just one of the three Missions of CAP.  It is by no means a requirement, especially for Cadets.  There is nothing that says that Cadets have to be anywhere near ES; it's kinda like spandex...a privilege, not a right.

For those units who want to focus on the Cadet Program and Aerospace Education "stuff", that's their prerogative and I'm sure they don't give ES (or GT) much thought at all.  If you look closely at the Cadet Program you'll find enough "stuff" in there to keep every meeting schedule pretty full.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

IronRangerMN

Of course units should never focus on 1 part of CAP. Balance is needed everywhere in life. But I do like GT more than AE. But most disagree with me.
Be safe

sschwab

Back to CERT, it is a good place to find those who are willing to volunteer time, and those are the people you can recruit into CAP.  That is how I ended up in CAP.

Another good point about CERT, while they may not be able to do missing person searches, at least if a large disaster hits, you stand a better chance of finding someone with spare 4x4 gauss pads and understands how to press hard and hold a bleeder.

Finally, it also gives CAP members time to mingle with police and firefighters, who happen to be the people who may make the request for CAP help in a search.  It never hurts to remind them that CAP is more then ex-military pilots looking for free flying time.

DNall

I haven't seen CAP involved with CERT in that way. What I've seen in CAP getting instructors trained & doing our own in-house CERT training to establish stand along individuals &/or teams that are not known or linked to any jurisdiction. Then thinking this somehow generates missions.

Basically CAP asked someone at the state how to get more missions, the state said CAP? Silly little volunteers that want to help out in emergencies? Oh yeah that's CERT, go do that & come back when you got your people trained up. It's certainly not the "green beret" SaR/disaster force mentioned above, which is what CAP can & should be.

So basically CERT is a waste of time other than checking a box on the way to something MUCH more significant. It's fine for introductory training, but wastes a LOT of time in that process in a class taught WAY below the level of anyone you should let within a mile of a GTM/T slot.

Pylon

Quote from: IronRangerMN on March 28, 2007, 03:57:34 AM
Anyway, there is nothing saying cadets need to do any areospace "stuff" aside from the tests for promotion, but its easier than school quizes thankfully. I know probably most of the CAP units in the country do more AE than ES.

There's good reason for that.  For one, in many areas of the country, CAP is not the SAR agency that's going to get called if a plane crashes, a person goes missing in the woods or there's a natural disaster.  In fact, around here CAP won't be the secondary, tertiary, or even the octonary agency called.  Some states already have agencys they prefer to use.  While you can argue that CAP should ramp up training to meet non-existent needs and that upper-echelon leaders need to be building relationships with the State to get CAP involved, I'd rather not spend all my training time in the meantime teaching my cadets skills they just won't ever use in CAP.   

I'm not discounting the worth of your training; in fact, I admire units that have active and well trained and squared away GTs that involve the cadets.  I'm simply saying in other words, I won't hold my breath for the phone to ring with a real GT mission around these parts, and that's why there are many units who don't focus heavily on ES training for their cadets. 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP