Main Menu

TNWG Nets

Started by colkemp, July 16, 2011, 05:53:22 PM

colkemp

As that i am preping for travel to Memphis for the next week or two im trying to keep on doing my normal duties within CAP like going to squadron meetings (visting other squadrons) and checking into wing vhf nets. Does anybody the TNWG net schedule? Or any of the repeaters you could hit in the Memphis area with a brick or a 5300 in a car?

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: colkemp on July 16, 2011, 05:53:22 PM
As that i am preping for travel to Memphis for the next week or two im trying to keep on doing my normal duties within CAP like going to squadron meetings (visting other squadrons) and checking into wing vhf nets. Does anybody the TNWG net schedule? Or any of the repeaters you could hit in the Memphis area with a brick or a 5300 in a car?
The CAP NTC website would give you the repeater directory/what channel to use.   Generally most wings hold their VHF "radio confidence check" nets in the early to mid evening hours, weekdays.
RM 

arajca

You can always contact the TNWG/DC for that info.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: arajca on July 16, 2011, 06:18:27 PM
You can always contact the TNWG/DC for that info.
I've always wondered why National couldn't put a nationwide by wing nets schedule on the NTC website for VHF FM/P25, HF/SSB.   Additionally, I'd like to see a nationwide data base of callsigns issued in each wing with at least the members name category of station (base, mobile, portable), and zip code for location.
RM

Eclipse

What's the point of this?

The nets are no longer a routine source of information, they are simply a confidence check of equipment.  Beyond the gee-whiz factor of writing down a call sign you didn't expect, there's not much point in contacting a net you'll never hit again as you're passing through.

"That Others May Zoom"

colkemp

The point is that I think it would be cool to check into another wings net. It also makes sure my radios work.

cap235629

Quote from: colkemp on July 16, 2011, 07:11:30 PM
The point is that I think it would be cool to check into another wings net. It also makes sure my radios work.

Here is a hint, if your radio works at home it will work in Tennessee........
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

colkemp

SARCASM is not requried. All I did was ask a simple question and unless you had a proper answer you shouldnt really post anything. Well I thank the people that helped me like giving the adive to talk to the DC ( i didnt think about that).

Eclipse

Actually, neither mine nor Bill's  is a sarcastic answer.  We're both serious.  There's no reason or need to check into a net in another wing.

"That Others May Zoom"

cap235629

Quote from: colkemp on July 16, 2011, 11:41:53 PM
SARCASM is not requried. All I did was ask a simple question and unless you had a proper answer you shouldnt really post anything. Well I thank the people that helped me like giving the adive to talk to the DC ( i didnt think about that).

Lighten up Francis, welcome to Captalk!
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

cap235629

Quote from: colkemp on July 16, 2011, 07:11:30 PM
The point is that I think it would be cool to check into another wings net.

Speaks to the true reason for the post.  If he wants to check in in Arkansas, he would need to have an HF radio as we do not have scheduled wing wide VHF nets.
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

wuzafuzz

Quote from: Eclipse on July 16, 2011, 11:44:59 PM
There's no reason or need to check into a net in another wing.
There is nothing prohibiting it either.  Our daily net script asks for visiting station check-ins, and we routinely get them.  There is nothing wrong with that, especially for those of us near state borders.

I haven't checked into an out of state net while traveling, but it might happen someday.  No, I don't travel with a CAP owned radio, but I do have a personal (compliant!) radio containing both CAP and amateur frequencies.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

colkemp

Like Wuzafuzz said, Im doing it for the fun of it. I also dont have CAP issued radios. I have a ef johnson 5100 and 5300 both bought by me. (ebay has great deals on them! plus i checked with my DC when i got them programmed and they werent stolen :) ).

redfox98

I travel often and almost always have my personal compliant  handheld with me. Both ham and CAP freqs programmed. put it in scan,, no need to know schedules,  and works great. Have checked in with bunch of  various local nets.  usually always get invited to local meeting if I can make it.