Main Menu

New NCSA?

Started by CadetProgramGuy, September 19, 2007, 10:47:51 PM

floridacyclist

Yeah, we covered that further up the thread...including a link.
Gene Floyd, Capt CAP
Wearer of many hats, master of none (but senior-rated in two)
www.tallahasseecap.org
www.rideforfatherhood.org

Joe Baker

A second year NFA, that would focus on the post solo part of the PPL.
Josiah Baker, FO, CAP
Logistics Assistant, Timmerman Composite Squadron, GLR-WI-002

"A good simulator check ride is like successful surgery on a cadaver."

SJFedor

Quote from: sixgunjoe on November 05, 2007, 06:56:46 AM
A second year NFA, that would focus on the post solo part of the PPL.

Yeah, but having a year inbetween without any recurrency training wouldn't do too well for retainment of knowledge. Perhaps doing a 6 week long NFA that allows the person to go from nothing to private. Lots of $$$ though.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Joe Baker

Josiah Baker, FO, CAP
Logistics Assistant, Timmerman Composite Squadron, GLR-WI-002

"A good simulator check ride is like successful surgery on a cadaver."

Holliday

Quote from: MIKE on September 19, 2007, 11:06:15 PM
I would offer no bling what-so-ever... Except for the NCSA ribbon and maybe a coin.  No patches or funny hats etc... but it would be the most awsomest NCSA ever... because I thought of it.  It would probably involve military small arms and crew served weapons and/or things that explode real good.  ;D

EOD Tech Academy??? :)

Michael

I'd want to start a school similar to NMMA, but include heavy drill and uniform instruction, along with master classes with the Air Force Concert Band.

Free lyres and instrument specific maintenance supplies for all students.
Bill Coons, C/Capt

DC

Quote from: MikeTA on January 23, 2008, 04:04:54 AM
I'd want to start a school similar to NMMA, but include heavy drill and uniform instruction, along with master classes with the Air Force Concert Band.

Free lyres and instrument specific maintenance supplies for all students.
So like NHGA with music instead of rifles....

I love the idea of the Air EMS activity, maybe toss in First Responder training with it?

SSgt Rudin

I don't know if any other wings do this but FLWG has career shadowing http://www.flcadet.com/CareerShadowing.aspx I have heard nothing but good things from the cadets who have gone.

Also I think it would be nice if NCSA's we offered at more locations at different time frames, this would allow more cadets and seniors to attend the activity as well as reducing travel cost.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

Ned

Quote from: SSgt Rudin on January 23, 2008, 04:46:26 AM
Also I think it would be nice if NCSA's we offered at more locations at different time frames, this would allow more cadets and seniors to attend the activity as well as reducing travel cost.
SSgt Rudin,

Take a look at the NHQ NCSA page, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

There are over 30 NCSAs in 20 different states from coast to coast, as far north as Wisconsin, and as far south as Maxwell AFB, AL.  Prices start as low as low as $175 for a full week.

Some start in late May, some last until mid-August.  (One NCSA is off cycle.  The Civic Leadership Academy in Washington D.C. starts in late February.)

Travel costs are certainly an important issue.  Cadets receive full airfare for Cadet Officer School, but most activities require the cadets (or their wings and units) to cover transportation costs.  Transportation costs are one of the reasons the activities are spread so far apart, to maximise the possibility that an activity can be relatively local for most cadets.

Thanks for your thoughts on reducing costs.

Ned Lee
DCP, PCR

♠SARKID♠

I'd like to see a wilderness survival course.  Something that includes all of the shelter building, wild edibles, water procurement, minimal supply techniques beyond what might be taught at some of the SAR academies we have now.  The Canadian Air Cadets have it as part of their standard training.  They learn how to survive, and then get dropped off in the woods alone for a day or two and have to make it on their own(I understand we wouldn't be able to do that, what with leaving cadets w/o SM supervision and all).  But still, its a great skill set to have and is a lot of fun.  I've taken a few courses myself and love it.

_

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on January 23, 2008, 05:45:49 AM
I'd like to see a wilderness survival course.  Something that includes all of the shelter building, wild edibles, water procurement, minimal supply techniques beyond what might be taught at some of the SAR academies we have now.  The Canadian Air Cadets have it as part of their standard training.  They learn how to survive, and then get dropped off in the woods alone for a day or two and have to make it on their own(I understand we wouldn't be able to do that, what with leaving cadets w/o SM supervision and all).  But still, its a great skill set to have and is a lot of fun.  I've taken a few courses myself and love it.

Aren't they trying to start a survival school at an Evergreen facility? Also apparently there's a push to get more people to go to the California cadet survival school.  People who took part in it circulated the following to just about every CAP Facebook group.

QuoteGreetings, and Happy New year. You have been contacted because you a member of a facebook group related to Civil Air Patrol. This message pertains to Cadet Survival School (CSS), an annual CAWG activity which will occur again this coming August.

CSS is an activity like no other. Last year's attendees were privileged to participate in a week-long course that stretched both their mental and physical limits. Classes were taught on such subjects as disaster preparation, basic aspects of woodcraft, water confidence, and the "survivor mentality." Students spent a significant amount of time living in the field, and were able to practice rappelling and shooting during the course of the week.

CSS is NOT for the faint of heart. Participants are expected to behave like adults, as self-sufficiency and responsibility are two aspects that the course strives to impart to students. Students make real choices about how they will keep themselves and their team in good condition while surmounting real-world challenges put before them by instructors.

The instructor cadre at CSS is top-flight. Last year, students had the opportunity to learn from individuals with a wide variety of experience in both military and civilian sectors to include: several officers and enlisted members of the USAF (including two pilots and an aircrew member), a civilian government contractor with experience in nuclear force protection, and an EMT.

CSS welcomes students from out of state, as long as all necessary paperwork is taken care of. CSS is looking for motivated, creative cadets to serve as cadet staff next year. All cadet staff members are also first-time attendees; CSS operates differently from encampment. Any cadet interested in serving as staff for CSS in August or attending as a basic should contact any of the following people (who both have facebook):

deleted

Information on Cadet staff and students is as follows:

2.5. Student Staff. To maximize safety and training value, cadets shall not instruct at CSS. Student staff exists to assist with administrative and logistics issues, as well as ensuring good order and discipline among the students.

2.5.1. Senior Ranking Officer (Cadet Commander)
Responsibilities:
-Get the students to the right place at the right time in the right uniform
-Teach survival and leadership from within the students
-Act as a liaison with encampment cadet staff
-Raise awareness about CSS throughout the year
-Be available for planning and execution of the school (no scheduling conflicts)
-Assist the senior staff as required
-Maintain good order and discipline among the students

Desirable Attributes:
-Cadet Staff at encampment
-Advanced cadet officer
-Experience in field training activities such as PJOC, HAWK, NGSAR, etc.
-Able to lead in a stressful, dynamic environment

2.5.2. Team Leader (Flight Commander)
Responsibilities:
-Duties as directed by the SRO and Senior Staff

Desirable Attributes:
-Cadet Officer
-Experience in field training activities

2.5.3. Student (Basic Cadet)
Responsibilities:
-Prepare for CSS by accomplishing all assigned reading
-Prepare for CSS through physical conditioning
-Follow all instructions
-Ensure own safety

Prerequisites to participate:
-C/SSgt or higher
-Completed Encampment
-No physical or mental disabilities that might hinder safe and effective training
-14 years or older prior to start of CSS (waiver-able on a case-by-case basis)
-Basic working knowledge of fieldcraft skills such as:
--Fire craft
--Food/ water procurement
--Shelter making
--Signaling

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: Ned on January 23, 2008, 05:35:41 AM
Quote from: SSgt Rudin on January 23, 2008, 04:46:26 AM
SSgt Rudin,

Take a look at the NHQ NCSA page, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

There are over 30 NCSAs in 20 different states from coast to coast, as far north as Wisconsin, and as far south as Maxwell AFB, AL.  Prices start as low as low as $175 for a full week.

Some start in late May, some last until mid-August.  (One NCSA is off cycle.  The Civic Leadership Academy in Washington D.C. starts in late February.)

Travel costs are certainly an important issue.  Cadets receive full airfare for Cadet Officer School, but most activities require the cadets (or their wings and units) to cover transportation costs.  Transportation costs are one of the reasons the activities are spread so far apart, to maximise the possibility that an activity can be relatively local for most cadets.

Thanks for your thoughts on reducing costs.

Ned Lee
DCP, PCR

I was talking more along the lines of having the same activity at multiple locations at different times.
IE:
NHGA Westminster, MD: June 1-14
NHGA Edwards AFB: June 15-29
NHGA Maxwell AFB: July 1-14

So on and so forth for all the activities that this would be possible with. Obviously if you want to go to NBB or PJOC your stuck. But is there a reason this ^ is not possible for activities that do not rely on another organization/event?

SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

Ned

Quote from: SSgt Rudin on January 23, 2008, 01:47:06 PM
I was talking more along the lines of having the same activity at multiple locations at different times.
IE:

So on and so forth for all the activities that this would be possible with. Obviously if you want to go to NBB or PJOC your stuck. But is there a reason this ^ is not possible for activities that do not rely on another organization/event?

We already do that for some of the more "fungible" activities like the flight academies and the AF Space Command Familiarization Course (offerred at non-overlapping dates at Patrick, Peterson, and Vandenberg AFBs).

But for most of the other NCSAs, practical reasons make it very, very difficult to offer multiple iterations.

All NCSAs are really run by volunteer members like you and me, and not by the corporate staff at NHQ.  And the commitment to serve as an NCSA activity director or staffer is considerable.  These hard-working members devote incredable amounts of time and energy to their activities.  God Bless 'em.

To use your NHGA example, Lt Col Jett Mayhew is the director of the HGA.  She and her crew have created a terrific activity that involves the use of actual USAF Honor Guard instructors for much of the training.  Her personal contacts and dedication are critical in maintaining this highly-sought-after activity.

I literally cannot imagine how she could clone the school and put in the hands of others or take it on the road herself without a significant change in the curriculum and "look and feel."

And it is pretty much the same with the remaining activities.  Behind each one is a particular group of dedicated officers who already give two weeks of their vacation and family life to support a specific activity.

Again, thank you for your work with cadets and your ideas on how to improve NCSAs.

Ned Lee
DCP, PCR

cnitas

So if Lt Col Mayhew left the program the activity would fall flat on its face?

That sounds like a problem that needs to get fixed.
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

sjtrupp

Quote from: cnitas on January 23, 2008, 06:15:01 PM
So if Lt Col Mayhew left the program the activity would fall flat on its face?

That sounds like a problem that needs to get fixed.

It's not about her, it's about her crew.  She could leave and someone else would take over (she's already trained people for that).  Trying to reconstruct that activity somewhere else would be difficult.

How about bringing back the old (before my time) FAA FC? Hold it in OKC and not only include Traffic Controllers, but bring in NTSB investigators and everything else that the FAA does. 

Maj Ballard

I've always wanted to do a national speech and debate academy. The cadets would learn parliamentary (NPDA) style debate, and receive instruction on informative and persuasive speech... Then compete against one another. Actually, my idea is to have Wings send teams to a Region/National competition, but an NCSA would be cool too.

It's something I would have loved when I was a cadet. It fills a gap in our training (not much intensive oral communication training is covered now), and will help cadets immensely in their futures.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

cnitas

Quote from: sjtrupp on January 23, 2008, 06:39:52 PM
It's not about her, it's about her crew.  She could leave and someone else would take over (she's already trained people for that).  Trying to reconstruct that activity somewhere else would be difficult.

That is not what Ned said...

I believe the NHGA is a great program, and I applaud those involved, but I do not see why we cannot try and get more than 1 rotation.  

I agree it would be difficult.  But not something that several more dedicated officers could not put together, particularly if they model what has already been done.

Any new activity will be 'difficult' to establish.

Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

jimmydeanno

Quote from: SSgt Rudin on January 23, 2008, 01:47:06 PM
IE:

I think that having multiple locations and times for each NCSA would be/is a great idea.  A few things I notice that may hinder it though:

1) NHQ would need to hire more CP staff to accomodate the substantially increased workload for NCSAs (Go from 30 to 90 NCSAs!)

2) Finding qualified responsible seniors that can make the commitment, every year and ensure continuity between the different locations and directors.

3) Funding I could see being a major roadblock.  If you have multiple locations at multiple times for each NCSA (using the example above) you'd need 3X the funding,  unless each NCSA became self-funded (participants fees cover 100%).  Without that, NHQ would be looking at (with the above example) a need for 300% more NCSA funding.

4) Is there enough demand for NCSAs to warrant multiple locations for them all or would/could increasing the number of locations possibly increase demand for them?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Ned

Quote from: cnitas on January 23, 2008, 06:59:42 PM
I believe the NHGA is a great program, and I applaud those involved, but I do not see why we cannot try and get more than 1 rotation.  

I agree it would be difficult.  But not something that several more dedicated officers could not put together, particularly if they model what has already been done.

Any new activity will be 'difficult' to establish.

I basically concur -- any new activity is indeed difficult to establish.

And pretty much every activity we have now is as a result of several dedicated officers "putting something together."

There is nothing to stop anyone from developing and putting on a cadet activity.  After several successful iterations at a local, wing, or regional level, the folks behind an activity can apply to have their activity "go national." 

For example, I love the idea of a "speech and debate" kind of activity.  It's a great idea.

Now, it's time for someone to put one together at the wing or region level and make it happen.  If successful, it could make a great NCSA.

We are not short of great ideas for NCSAs.

We are short of -- to use your terms -- "dedicated officers" putting together a successful activity and making it work. 

Mostly because these same dedicated CP professionals are already tasked out as squadron, group, wing, or regional CP staffers and have their hands full with their current jobs.  Plus encampments and the existing terrific wing, regional, and national cadet activities.

The National CP crew isn't failing to add to the over 30 NCSAs because they are evil and want to deny cadets an activity.  They are already working very, very hard to support our existing activities.

(And for another thread -- if I had spare CP resources, I'd probably try to find a way to help support unit meetings rather than develop new NCSAs.  While NCSAs are very important, 90% of what we do or fail to do with the cadet program happens on squadron meeting nights.)

Ned Lee
DCP, PCR

Ned

I don't want to further derail the thread, but a few clarifications:

Quote from: jimmydeanno on January 23, 2008, 07:31:07 PM
1) NHQ would need to hire more CP staff to accomodate the substantially increased workload for NCSAs (Go from 30 to 90 NCSAs!)

NHQ clearly needs to hire more CP staff.  That would be true even if we reduced the number of NCSAs.  But remember, every NCSA is run  and staffed by regular volunteer seniors like you and me.  The NHQ corporate staff does have some administrative oversight responsibilities, but the lion's share of NCSA work is not done by NHQ in the first place.

2) Finding qualified responsible seniors that can make the commitment, every year and ensure continuity between the different locations and directors.

True, that.

3) Funding I could see being a major roadblock.  If you have multiple locations at multiple times for each NCSA (using the example above) you'd need 3X the funding,  unless each NCSA became self-funded (participants fees cover 100%).  Without that, NHQ would be looking at (with the above example) a need for 300% more NCSA funding.

Almost all NCSAs are  self-supporting.  Only a very few like COS, IACE, and CLA receive any sort of corporate support.  That's why fees are so high for the flight academies and things like NHGA.

4) Is there enough demand for NCSAs to warrant multiple locations for them all or would/could increasing the number of locations possibly increase demand for them?

Good question.  Remember, cadets must have already completed encampment before they may apply for NCSAs, which normally means that cadets are in the second complete year of membership before they can apply.

And many NCSAs have necessary pre-requisites for age, grade, or achievement (IACE, COS, CLA, etc) that further limit the size of the applicant pool.

Last year, some NCSA slots went unfilled.  We may already be near saturation on NCSAs given the current number of cadets, and the costs and logistical factors involved.