Main Menu

Safety Officer's Course

Started by Psicorp, March 14, 2007, 05:12:33 PM

Psicorp

According to information on the National Website, it says that "Safety Officers shall complete the AFIADL Safety Officer's Course within 90 days of appointment". A Safety Officer at another unit recently asked me how much of a stickler Regions/National is with that requirement.  Anyone have a clue on this?
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

RiverAux

It probably wouldn't be caught until your next Staff Assistance Visit or Compliance Inspection from higher.  Since passing the course isn't recorded in any database, there is no way for anyone to know without examining the records.  I expect that you would be okay so long as you've at least enrolled in the course. 

davedove

It just seems like an awfully quick deadline to me.  A person gets appointed to Safety Officer, then is told he must pass this correspondence course within 90 days.  Between the time to get the course and the time to get the test, that doesn't leave a whole lot of time to actually take the course.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

DrJbdm

It doesn't seem like much time to take the course, but the course is actually only one volume and is so easy to complete. I personally think it should be more in depth. I think 90 days is good time frame.

I've enrolled in the USAF Safety Journeyman course, that one is about 6 volume. if I remember correctly. I think every safety officer should have to pass that course as well. However I would give it a time limit of say within 18 months or 24 months of appointment for that course.

RiverAux

It isn't that bad, but it is true that 50-75% of that 90 days could be taken up either waiting for the course or the test.  Hardly seems fair given that AFIADL actually gives you 1 year to complete the course. 

Major_Chuck

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Psicorp

Quote from: Major_Chuck on April 10, 2007, 01:29:43 AM
No one checks it.

Unless you're going for the Safety Specialty Track which requires a copy of the member's appointment letter to the position of Safety Officer be sent in with the paperwork for the Technician rating.   Of course, the date can be shifted to bring the exam to within 90 days of appointment.   
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

RogueLeader

Quote from: Psicorp on April 10, 2007, 02:06:40 AM
Quote from: Major_Chuck on April 10, 2007, 01:29:43 AM
No one checks it.

Unless you're going for the Safety Specialty Track which requires a copy of the member's appointment letter to the position of Safety Officer be sent in with the paperwork for the Technician rating.   Of course, the date can be shifted to bring the exam to within 90 days of appointment.   
It also depends on the PDO who is in charge of the ratings.  If the PDO doesn't know, and the CC doesn't know, who's going to stop the rating being approved?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340