Main Menu

Sights On Safety

Started by MIKE, January 26, 2006, 05:58:52 PM

MIKE

Saw this on the Knowledgebase today:

QuoteAs of 21 Dec 05, MGen Pineda signed a policy letter that ended the Sights On Safety campaign and the 12-Point Safety Initiative. This letter was sent to all Region and Wing Commanders.

So what does this mean exactly?

There will be no Unit Citations for mishap free units? My CC had this as a goal for the unit when this stuff came out.

No more Safety Pledge?
Mike Johnston

Pylon

Quote from: MIKE on January 26, 2006, 05:58:52 PM
No more Safety Pledge?

It would seem so.  It appears as if the whole program has been canned.  However, since the message didn't seem to get around quickly, one can only make an educated guess here. 

It's funny, you know.  A memorandum about approved new patch for the BDUs circulates to every CAP member in record speed.  A month after a policy change to Safety is released, most of the membership (including Safety Officers) don't even know about it.   ::) :P
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

arajca

Sight On Safety was a program put out two or three years ago to encourage units to develop new ideas to promote safety at their level. One idea about it was the unit has better idea of their safety concerns than National. Most units appeared to pay it lip-service and nothing really came out of it.

ladyreferee

Just checked the National Headquarters Policy Letters listed on http://level2.cap.gov/visitors/member_services/publications/policy_letters.cfm
and this one isn't listed.  So is Knowledgebase off?
CHERYL K CARROLL, Major, CAP

SarDragon

It's probably already been pulled. I noticed that a couple of other rescinded letters are no longer there, either.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

smj58501

I looked for the Sights of Safety Policy Letter a few months ago when I was preparing for our squadron SUI (This memo was referenced in one of the inspection checklist items) It was gone from the NHQ site then.
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

Pylon

Quote from: smj58501 on January 29, 2006, 10:45:24 PM
I looked for the Sights of Safety Policy Letter a few months ago when I was preparing for our squadron SUI (This memo was referenced in one of the inspection checklist items) It was gone from the NHQ site then.

Hmm... perhaps we'll need to ask a follow-up Knowledgebase question to clarify a Knowledgebase answer?

I wonder what happened to it?   ???
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Major_Chuck

I am sure that something will replace it.  For the record I found out about the cancellation of the program through the CAP Knowledge Base as well.

Personally I don't feel that reciting a Safety Pledge is that effective.  From what I observed most people needed a cheat sheet to recite from and considered it cumbersome and wordy.

That is not to say that I don't discourage its use nor do I disagree with the purpose or intent.  There are better ways to foster a strong culture of safety within our organization.  Pledges and Safety Contracts are not the only way.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard