The Best of Squadron Patches

Started by Pylon, January 09, 2006, 08:41:09 PM

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Eclipse on December 09, 2008, 05:09:29 AM
Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on December 09, 2008, 04:26:02 AM
Wing emblems are organizational emblems for the entire wing, including the headquarters element. Tabs for "wing staff" or separate wing staff emblems are unnecessary and an ego boost. Emblems should identify a unit, not be augmented as though being on wing staff makes someone more special.

So then we should get rid of all unit insignia, since that's the same argument.

Being on Wing staff isn't any more special, but its not any less special, either.  Why should they be denied the esprit-de-corps that comes with all the extra responsibility?

The Wing King gets a pin on his service dress uniforms, but beyond that, there's no identifier that a member is part of xx-001.

Why should there be? If you're on wing staff, you're assigned to the wing's headquarters, not to a subordinate squadron or group. Your heraldry is that of the wing as a whole, since you oversee the whole thing -- not that of a subordinate unit.

Wing commanders get a National Board insignia. That's not an indice of being a wing staff member, nor is wearing eagles beaks-forward on your shoulders. (Group and squadron commanders get commander badges, but they don't identify the individual units, either. But on the BDU and flight suit, squadron and group patches identify subordinate units. Wing staff members wear the wing patch, and that's all they need. They're not in a subordinate unit.)

If a wing staff can have its own emblem, then why not open the doors for individual directorates of a wing staff to do the same? Or have tabs? It's silly.

Your contention, taken to an extreme, is visually cacophonous at best, balkanizing at worst.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: CAPLAW on December 09, 2008, 08:02:53 PM
That NY 414 patch looks goofy, I hope you did not get it produced for uniform wear.  Try something more creative.
No, the CAP emergency services patch is goofy. Actually, it's Pluto.

That's a patch that shoulda stayed in the doghouse. (Heck, they can't even get the eyes right on it....)

It's also redundant to ratings that are worn on the opposite breast on the BDU, for the most part, or on the pockets. I can, but don't, wear it.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Pumbaa

OK guys.. it's a joke...

The Major is harassing me for the fun of it.. He actually helped with the design of our patch. 

AvroArrow

I joined 20 years since this patch was made, so I'm not too sure on what each element represents, but I'll find out and get back to you all  ;)

SilverEagle2

Just bought two of my Squadrons last night. I kinda like it.

Jason R. Hess, Col, CAP
Commander, Rocky Mountain Region

"People are not excellent because they achieve great things;
they achieve great things because they choose to be excellent."
Gerald G. Probst,
Beloved Grandfather, WWII B-24 Pilot, Successful Businessman

alamrcn

Wing Staff should have their own insignia.
The couple wings that I am familiar with usually have a larger staff than most of the squadron's under them. Granted, this is where some "old timers" transfer their membership until death... But still, they are a unit and have their own unit structure and Chain of Command - they aren't ONLY to serve their subordinates.
Woah, I actually agreed with Eclipse on that one.  :o

Wing Patches?
Let's just say we continue to use the exactly how they are now, with no fortune telling of things to come. Trying not to rehash here, I've brought up before that they were created based on Army Division shoulder patches. I do think we can apply the USAF heraldry guidelines to them, while still keeping their origin of purpose in tact. At least we should, if lower echelons are expected to.
The current National shield patch now does follow these guidelines after any text was removed from the blue field.

Unfortunately I can't reference any documents on the Viking patch.
I might have some dates at home as far as when Bloomington Squadron existed, which I think was the earlier charter to Viking? Sorry, I can't confirm that from memory. In research, I'd start with Stan Kegel who can refer you to past  members or squadron familiars that might know more. My wife and sister-in-law were members there in '88-89, but they wouldn't know. If anyone still has contacts with the Corneilius family, they may know or may even had something to do with its design and the now departed relationship with the Flying Vikings.
A side note: I think that MIGHT be how we got the 2 "Blue Bird" busses in the mid-80's... which Viking Squadron staff took care of for the wing.
Addendum to post: St Louis Park Squadron was Viking's predicessor, and when Bloomington folded, those members [may have] joined in with them... Maybe to CREATE Viking? Dunno, have to check the dates. Also, aparently the busses were around since the 70s - and mechanically worked like it, heh - which was before Viking's charter. Thanks for the info, MM!

Fits atop the older Viking Squadron patches - newer ones are slightly smaller.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

alamrcn

Quote from: AvroArrow on December 10, 2008, 03:47:44 PM
I joined 20 years since this patch was made, so I'm not too sure on what each element represents, but I'll find out and get back to you all  ;)

Ya, if you do please let me know. I'll post the info on the CAP Patches site.
There is a version of that patch tha uses lower-case letters too. I believe I have a printed photo of it somewhere, if you'ld like me to scan it for the squadron.

Thanks for keeping your unit history alive!

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

JAFO78

I was at Viking when Bloomington was folded into our squadron. Check with Col Theis as he was CO when I transferred to Viking from Valley. Viking was closer to me but I was given the wrong information as to location of Viking. Viking was at Am Legion, I was told it was at VFW, they didn't even know anything about CAP. Turns out they where only a few miles away from each other. 

I ended up at Valley cause a friend from work (Page Avjet) was in Valley.
This was cleared up when I went to my Level 1. With in a week I was transferred to Viking.

The rest is history.
JAFO

Hill CAP

This is my favorite its the Advanced Ground Team Patch for Charleston Cadet Squadron MER-WV-013 my original squadron

Justin T. Adkinson
Former C/1st Lt and SM Capt
Extended Hiatus Statues

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: FLCAP 834 on December 13, 2008, 12:14:30 AM
This is my favorite its the Advanced Ground Team Patch for Charleston Cadet Squadron MER-WV-013 my original squadron

That's the first time I've looked at that patch in a loooong time. Now that I see it again, I wonder why the eagle looks like it's crawling downhill.

IceNine

I finally found a company that quoted me a reasonable price for this one just a few days ago.  Once I get the sample run I will release my source.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

PHall

Quote from: IceNine on December 13, 2008, 06:24:34 AM
I finally found a company that quoted me a reasonable price for this one just a few days ago.  Once I get the sample run I will release my source.

You're not going to have problems with the fine details (AF Wings, Map of Illinois) on this patch?

Best piece of advice that I ever got about about patch design was "can you draw it in crayon and still have it look good?"

Embroidery does not do details well...

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: PHall on December 13, 2008, 07:11:50 AMBest piece of advice that I ever got about about patch design was "can you draw it in crayon and still have it look good?"

Embroidery does not do details well...

Distilled to a plain and simple - yet hackneyed - term: KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid.

Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: mikeylikey on July 06, 2008, 03:59:34 AM
PM me for a meaning of Blue Falcon, if you don't know what that means.   

Third Battalion, 325th Airborne Infantry Regiment, 82nd Airborne Division

1/325 = Red Falcons
2/325 = White Falcons
4/325 = Gold Falcons
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on December 13, 2008, 07:11:50 AM
You're not going to have problems with the fine details (AF Wings, Map of Illinois) on this patch?

The above is far from "fine detail" by the standards of the machines they have today.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on December 13, 2008, 03:26:33 PM
Quote from: PHall on December 13, 2008, 07:11:50 AM

The above is far from "fine detail" by the standards of the machines they have today.

But does your typical small order patch place have one of those state of the art embroidering machines? Probably not.

It's usually the big boys like Vanguard who have them because they have the volume of orders needed to pay for them.

alamrcn

You can down to <insert local name> fabric store and buy your own computer driven emboridery machine for under a grand. Eclipse is right, the fine details are no longer an issue these days.

Many - not all - embroidery shops just create the computer art and then send out the design to an Asian company to have patches made. It's when you want the design on a shirt or jacket or hat that they'll do it in house.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

IceNine

The company I am using does in house patch creation, and they are no small name.  I found them doing a google search.  They can put this exact design in the same detail on whatever I want.

There is no issue in any realm with the amount of "detail" or severe lack there of on this patch
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

PHall

I'm just saying that I have seen more then a few patch designs that looked great on paper but ended up looking not so good after they were made. And it was the fine details on the patch that were the most disappointing.

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on December 14, 2008, 05:21:48 AM
I'm just saying that I have seen more then a few patch designs that looked great on paper but ended up looking not so good after they were made. And it was the fine details on the patch that were the most disappointing.

Agreed, but it depends purely on the vendor and should come out when you see the proofs.

My original patch vendor did a beautiful job, we had our coin vendor try them and the inhaled air at a very high rate.

"That Others May Zoom"