New Chaplain / Moral Leadership

Started by jacklumanog, July 13, 2005, 08:06:24 PM

jacklumanog

As a Chaplain only since 1 June, I am getting used to some of the ins and outs of being in the CAP.  A few uniform faux pas that I was able to correct by yesterday's SM uniform inspection. 

I have already led one moral leadership session for the seniors (last month) and did my first with the cadets last night. 

The Chaplains are given a manual for the cadet program, but not one for the seniors. 

Any advice from you senior members / cadets out there that might be constructive for me as I'm planning out future sessions?  Anything you are just dying to talk about?
Ch, Lt Col Jon I. Lumanog, CAP
Special Assistant to the National Chief of Chaplains for Diversity of Ministry

ladyreferee

I was just on the CAP knowledgebase and I couldn't find any mention that seniors also get moral leadership training.  Many times the seniors in our composite squadron  run out of things to talk about while waiting for the cadet program to finish.  Sounds like something we could do.  What regulations can I look at for this (so the other seniors would agree)?
CHERYL K CARROLL, Major, CAP

Pylon

Quote from: ladyreferee on July 14, 2005, 03:15:01 PM
I was just on the CAP knowledgebase and I couldn't find any mention that seniors also get moral leadership training.  Many times the seniors in our composite squadron  run out of things to talk about while waiting for the cadet program to finish.  Sounds like something we could do.  What regulations can I look at for this (so the other seniors would agree)?

You won't find mention of it in the regs, because it's not a required activity.  The Cadet Programs CAPR 52-16 mentions it because it is a required component of the Cadet Program itself.  However, this doesn't mean that your Chaplain and/or MLO can't offer your Seniors a moral leadership discussion or any other activity.   The Chaplaincy is there to serve for the welfare of the entire unit, not just the cadets.  Holding ML discussions or other related activities is simply an optional addition to the repertoire of your meetings.  It doesn't require any paperwork -- just an instructor and willing participants.

If you're trying to sell it to the other Senior Members, let them know that you feel it is a worthwhile activity that everyone could benefit from it.  Ayou say, you're normally not doing anything during that time, so I don't see why you shouldn't try it out.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

jacklumanog

From CAPR 265-1 (The CAP Chaplain Service)
2. Mission of the CAP Chaplain Service.
a. The free exercise of religion is a constitutional right of all US citizens. The Civil Air Patrol provides opportunities for CAP members to exercise this right through the Chaplain Service and by allocating required resources to accomplish the Chaplain Service mission.
b. The Civil Air Patrol Chaplain Service promotes moral leadership, spiritual care, and character development throughout CAP senior member and cadet programs.
c. Responding to contingencies is a critical aspect to the CAP Chaplain Service mission. As professional clergy, CAP chaplains prepare to respond to Civil Air Patrol, USAF, and community contingencies, such as disasters, aircraft accidents, or acts of terrorism.

----

How the Commander interprets Section A, 2b from the CAP Chaplain Service regulations varies from unit to unit.  Cadets are required to take no less than 1 hour per month of Moral Leadership ideally led by the unit chaplain. When there is no unit chaplain, then a moral leadership officer.  If no moral leadership officer, then the commander. 

In our squadron, I am to see the cadets on the 2nd week of the month for moral leadership and the seniors on the 4th week.  The Commander has made it a fixed part of the schedule for the seniors as it is for the cadets.  So, that's how it works in my unit.
Ch, Lt Col Jon I. Lumanog, CAP
Special Assistant to the National Chief of Chaplains for Diversity of Ministry

ladyreferee

Thanks!  I'll pass this information on to my commander - at this time, he also is our moral leadership officer and chaplain since our squadron is so small!

arajca

Quote from: ladyreferee on July 15, 2005, 03:57:54 PM
Thanks!  I'll pass this information on to my commander - at this time, he also is our moral leadership officer and chaplain since our squadron is so small!
Is he a CAP Chaplain? If so, he cannot be a commander per CAPR 265-1:
Quote5. Chaplain Service Duty Restrictions. Chaplains will not perform duties incompatible with their professional role. They are not required to conduct or take part in religious activities that conflict with their faith group doctrines or personal religious convictions. Chaplains are not eligible to serve as a CAP commander, deputy commander, or testing officer. Wing chaplains may grade chaplain service exams (221, 221a) without compromising their chaplain status. Chaplains have rank without command; however, chaplains may exercise operational supervision over Chaplain Service personnel and activities.
emphasis mine

ladyreferee

No, he isn't. He was assistant chaplain - our real one never comes to the meetings!  He still has a few more things to do before he would make chaplain.