official "I'm here!" thread.

Started by whatevah, March 24, 2005, 04:52:08 AM

Uhuru1906

Thanks for the welcome. I've received my initial ID card so I'm "official". I have met some folks from the NY guard and checked out the glass case displays of the 69th Inf. Its fascinating stuff.
I'll do my best to make a contribution to the squad and I'll be on the lookout for "Ozzie".
Luther A. Smith
Phoenix Comp. Sqdn., NER-NY-131

Bugsmasher

Quote from: AlphaSigOU link=topic=135.msg5032#msg5032

(Lt. Col. Roshaven (who introduced himself earlier in this thread) may remember me - we were both in University Cadet Squadron way back WIWAC. Got some flying time with him for my observer wings, but unfortunately the paperwork was lost in one of my transfers, so I don't wear 'em anymore. But I am working my way to getting them back! ;D)

Indeed I do remember you.  Sorry it took so long to post this, but I haven't visited this thread is a while.  I have seen your name here and over at Cadet Stuff, and I have been meaning to contact you and see if you were the Cadet Corway I remembered from University Cadet Squadron.  I'll send you an email and see if you remember some of the other names from the past, such as Handrahan, Abrieu, Meyers, Lt Col Bob Miller, etc.

Glad to see you're back in CAP. 

(Mod Edit: Fixed broken tags.  --MK)
Wayne S. Roshaven, Lt Col, CAP
Commander, Group 2 GAWG

Reeses Peanut Butter Cup

i'm here i just started on uhh...... 9 january 2006 and I'M HERE!
Hello! What's your name? MSG me and you'll find out mine!

MIKE

I think I'll just call you PBC for short.  ;D

Welcome... Gotta ask though... Do you like to eat the peanut butter first?  :D
Mike Johnston

Pace

Lt Col, CAP

Nathan

Okay, I'll introduce myself, although about half the people here already know me.

I'm Nathan Scalia. I'm a C/Capt in Civil Air Patrol and have been in CAP for a little over 3 years. Right now I'm playing cadet leadership officer/cadet XO hybrid... I don't know either. I'm also a moderator on CadetStuff. Other than that... there ain't too much to know about me, I suppose...
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

Reeses Peanut Butter Cup

Quote from: MIKE on January 13, 2006, 07:11:18 PM
I think I'll just call you PBC for short.  ;D

Welcome... Gotta ask though... Do you like to eat the peanut butter first?  :D
no, i take all the chocolate off of it adn then i roll the peanut butter into a ball and eat it (i susually choke on it  ;D)
Hello! What's your name? MSG me and you'll find out mine!

JAFO78

Is this the place were we can place our official announcement of your membership to Cap Talk?

I hope so because I too will be returning to CAP. I am a past member of CAP.

I first started in 1983 and left in 1987. I have held theses positions before;
Testing Officer, Supply Officer, Safety Officer, Flight Line Officer (SAR Evaluation), Deputy Squadron Commander. My Rank at departure was 1LT, I was close to Captain when I quit.

I look forward to returning to CAP. I have been trying to keep up with current events of CAP, but I am rusty.  I stumbled upon CAP Talk recently and I have been reading as much as I can.

I look forward to reading all comments posted in all CAP Talk forums.  :)

JAFO

shorning

Quote from: RobG on January 29, 2006, 04:07:35 AMI first started in 1983 and left in 1987.

Looks like you were active in MNWG at the same time I was.  Although, I joined as a cadet in 1982.  Move to Minneapolis in 1987.  What squadron were you a member of?  I was in several, but a member of Viking Cadet Squadron when I was in Group 3.  I was also in Crow Wing Comp. Squadron (Brainerd) as a cadet, and Red Wing Comp. Squadron and Cannon Valley Flight as a senior.

JAFO78

Steve, When I first joined it was at Valley Squadron, under AL Brandon. I transfered to Viking right after I finished  my Level 1.  Viking was a lot closer to home.

Viking was meeting at a American Legion  in St. Louis Park. Tom Theis was Squadron CDR., at the time. Tom is now a Lt. Col. and is at 130th Squadron in Farmington, he is again Squadron CDR.

You must have left around the time I transfered, around May or June 1982. We picked up cadets from Skyhawk that closed do to lack of members. Do you remember Chris Mayer?, last I heard he went AF as an 2LT with missiles, many years ago now.
JAFO

drcomm

I'm new to CAP talk.  I was a cadet member of the Ellington Composite Squadron (formerly 42098) SWRTX-098 in Houston, TX from 1978- 1986.  I was heavy into the communications program and served as a Houston area FM net control and ran the Texas wing HF nets on occasion.  I was a Mitchell cadet and served as the Cadet Commander for a time.  I dropped out of CAP after getting married and moving to Oklahoma in 1986 for my job.  About a year ago my eldest son told me he wanted to join the CAP but only if I would too.  So, here I am.  I am now the Communications Officer for the Starbase Composite Squadron SWROK-151 in Tulsa, OK.  I am a ham radio operator (KA5OWI), hold an FCC General Radiotelephone License, and I am an A&P mechanic/ avionics tech. for American Airlines at the Tulsa International Airport.

"CAP Talk" looks like a great resource for bouncing questions off of people about the different programs.  Comm. has change much since the late 70's and early to mid 80's.  Looking forward to learning all I can about these changes.
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Starbase Composite Squadron, SWR-OK-151
Oil Well 767
Mitchell Award #2536 (May 1981)
Amateur Radio Call Sign: KA5OWI

alexalvarez

I'm here. I just joined CAP Talk 29 Jan. 2006. I did not know this site existed until  I accidentally stumbled across it one day. I joined CAP in 1964 and obtained the rank of C/LTC with the San Antonio Composite Squadron (it is now called the Lackland Cadet Squadron). At 21 I became a senior member and stayed with the squadron until 1972. I later rejoined from 1976-1979 and then again from 1991 to 1992. I last rejoined in 1997 and plan to stay with CAP until the second coming.
Ch, Lt. Col., Alex Alvarez
Alamo Composite Squadron, Bexar County Squadron, San Antonio, Texas
Group V Chaplain
Mitchell 1967, Earhart 1967, C/ Lt. Col. 1969
Fifty Year Member 2014

pixelwonk

Quote from: drcomm on February 20, 2006, 12:38:03 AM
I am now the Communications Officer for the Starbase Composite Squadron SWROK-151 in Tulsa, OK.  I am a ham radio operator (KA5OWI), hold an FCC General Radiotelephone License, and I am an A&P mechanic/ avionics tech. for American Airlines at the Tulsa International Airport.

Welcome & 73,
de WX9AUX

Cadet Innominate

Pumbaa

Senior Member here...

Richard Fairchild from Western NY, Fingerlakes.

My daughter (13) joined CAP as she wants to become a missionary pilot for Mission Aviation Fellowship (You know the End of the Spear.. Nate Saint folks)

By trade I am a Chief Technical Officer for a major radio network/ ministry here in NY.  I am also a profession photographer for the last 23 years.  I am in the process of joing MaF as a missionary, I will be in their Learning technologies/ Distance Learning group.

Since I was going to be sitting around for 2 hours each week after a 45 minutes drive for my daughters CAP meetings, I figured I might as well make myself useful.

Looks like I am going to be PAO for the Elmira squadron.. So much to learn so much to do!  I might be flying out to L.I. for a PAO seminar...  Man the ink has not even dried on my member card!

My first task was getting them a web presence.  You can see the prototype at www.elmiracap.com  I am still adding to it before we go up the chain fpr approvals.  Note that the section that says members only will not be visable when we go offical, that will be an area where CAP members will sign in.

I've had to beg borrow and steal to get content so far.

This site runs on my linux box, using MySQL, PHP and a content managment system so it is totally data base driven.

Still more to do, but I think it is look pretty good.  The site banner is a temporary, as I dont like it much.  I will create a better looking one after the site is completed with all the content and features.

My next project is designing a squadron patch, I already have a prototype and we are seeking permission from our host (Wings of Eagles Discovery Center) to use it as a tie in to the air museum.

After that I the project with the cadets is to build a portable display about CAP, as well as a history display, that we will donate to the museum.

I guess I've hit the ground running.. or is that on the runway ready for takeoff?

OK you wanna know how serious I am?  Shaved off my 7 year old goatee!!!  Yep, decided if I am going to do it I might as well go regulation!

alexalvarez

Welcome SM Richard Fairchild. And God Bless you and your family in your endeavors.
Ch, Lt. Col., Alex Alvarez
Alamo Composite Squadron, Bexar County Squadron, San Antonio, Texas
Group V Chaplain
Mitchell 1967, Earhart 1967, C/ Lt. Col. 1969
Fifty Year Member 2014

shorning

Quote from: Pit Bull on March 05, 2006, 11:31:14 PMOK you wanna know how serious I am?  Shaved off my 7 year old goatee!!!  Yep, decided if I am going to do it I might as well go regulation!

You didn't have to go to that extreme.  You could have stayed within regulation if you had just chosen to wear a corporate uniform.

Pylon

Quote from: Pit Bull on March 05, 2006, 11:31:14 PM
Senior Member here...

Richard Fairchild from Western NY, Fingerlakes.

My daughter (13) joined CAP as she wants to become a missionary pilot for Mission Aviation Fellowship (You know the End of the Spear.. Nate Saint folks)

{snip}

I guess I've hit the ground running.. or is that on the runway ready for takeoff?

OK you wanna know how serious I am?  Shaved off my 7 year old goatee!!!  Yep, decided if I am going to do it I might as well go regulation!

Welcome Richard!

It is really refreshing when someone with so much energy and excitement for the program joins CAP!  I'm glad you have stumbled upon CAPTalk as well as CAP.  It sounds like you've already dove in head first and are tackling some pretty good projects.

Your website is very nice!  Database-driven websites with plenty of content to offer (that also look aesthetically appealing) are rare in CAP, but an awesome PR tool for your unit to leverage.  Excellent work on that!

Welcome to CAPTalk and don't hesitate to ask questions, gather ideas, crack a joke, or dive right into one of our philisophical discussions.   ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Pumbaa

Yeah I know shaving the goatee is extreem...  hey look I did it for one of my daughers ballets too ;)

I can grow it back in a week if I want to!

I figured if I am going to try and get some PR going for the squadron, then I have to be pressing the flesh.. What better way then to walk in wearing the blues?  I already have distinctive greys, but they look too corporate and wont make much of an impression.

Besides I was getting tired of the goatee, wanted to see my face :P

I just downloaded and printed 190-1 vol 1 and 2.  Only 150 pages of info.

I am really suprised at how little the community knows about CAP.  When I was a kid in the 70's, CAP was well know in the burbs of Boston...

Well I live in what is called the cradle of aviation.. We have the Curtiss Museum, Wings of Eagles, Harris hill gliding and also the Soaring museum.  Sweitzer is a stones throw from our Squadron HQ.

With all this aviation out here, there is no reason we should be lurking in the shadows.  Time to get the light out from under the bushel!!!

Nick

Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus