Dead battery? An unapproved (and BAD) alternative

Started by Live2Learn, January 25, 2019, 05:01:36 PM

Live2Learn

I've not seen a pull start Cessna product, but I'm sure one exists somewhere.

Do you suppose this method was described in the maintenance manual, POH, or SOP? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecosb5mSDwo    :clap:

Funny, yes.  But! it really got me wondering about the Darwin effect.   :o

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

You have the truck there, why not jump it from the truck? ::)

Blanding

Quote from: PHall on January 25, 2019, 05:24:58 PM
You have the truck there, why not jump it from the truck? ::)

I'm not an Embraer expert, but I'd bet it has a 24v battery!

arajca

PHall

Any bets on how long it will be before the front seal on the engine starts to leak.
Those seals don't like side loads.

mdickinson

It might be an unapproved solution, but it's still better than this guy's solution!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KpOg9Ci284

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Live2Learn

Quote from: SarDragon on January 26, 2019, 05:38:18 AM
Quote from: mdickinson on January 25, 2019, 11:06:59 PM
It might be an unapproved solution, but it's still better than this guy's solution!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KpOg9Ci284
That'll buff right out.

Some over achievers can even do in hangars while sitting at the controls. A year or so ago a rather rusty pilot at Bremerton airport somehow started his 'V' tail engine at near full throttle.  He planned to taxi to fuel.  Did I mention he wasn't on the brakes and the (non-NTSB) accident report said E brake wasn't set?  As his Bonanza lurched forward the pilot locked one brake causing the plane to promptly pivoted into the adjacent (CAP) hangar.  Several people, including cadets, were near the soon-to-be-damaged hangar when the "V" tail came to life. 

A bunch of teachable moments resulted. 

For pilots - set the E brake before engine start; - set throttle as prescribed in the POH... just barely above idle; - HOLD both toe brakes ... just in case; - assure the area is REALLY "clear" before kindling a fire to the cylinders.   

For anyone else near an aircraft that might suddenly roar to life - stay engaged and alert ... surprising things can happen quickly with little or no warning; - earbuds and/or immersion in a smart phone screen can have very bad side effects;

For Safety officers - emphsize S.A for any inside the fence activity on a airport; 

FWIW, I think non-NTSB reportable accidents from hand propping or improper start procedures are a lot more common than the official FAA or NTSB records would suggest.  Those data bases only record mishaps where the accident aircraft was started "with the intention of flight".  I know of at least two runaway aircraft where a hand start gone-wrong damaged buildings, aircraft, and property.  Like the Bremerton "V" tail, they were merely started to reposition on the airport... i.e. with no intention of flight.