Blues Night, a walk down memory lane

Started by OldGuy, April 08, 2019, 12:37:14 AM

OldGuy

1973 - The first time I "spit shined" my shoes was for this thing called Civil Air Patrol. I was almost 13 and my big brother (my hero) and my dad, (dad was Wing Legal and my brother a returning Vietnam Veteran - former cadet and much larger than life) taught me how to "spit shine" those shoes.

1973 - Holloman AFB - Alone, sans cover (who knew?) and some four million push-ups later, very aware of why a cover mattered, graduating my first cadet encampment.

1975 - MCRD San Diego - A very, very special CAWG program where the USMC DI School taught the COBC cadre the USMC way. I will never see tailor's chalk the same.

1976 - Vandenburg AFB - courtesy of Kit Reichow and an amazing CAWG effort to 'empower' cadet officers, I experienced the reality of senior encampment staff. Wow.

1976 - Maxwell AFB - Cadet Officer's School - still probably the best management training I have ever, ever had.

Fast forward 40 years, thankfully Mister Scale says I can meet the H/W standards, and my blues look great. Not for me - a way too old 1st Lieutenant, but for the amazing cadets I get to serve and the equally amazing senior members, I will, with great pride don that blue uniform of the United States Air Force and do my job. With humble pride, not in me, but those I serve with. For all of you who, like me, serve for them - thank you!

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret