Any Cessnas with wheel pants at CAP?

Started by jfkspotting, June 04, 2018, 08:18:43 PM

jfkspotting

SarDragon

The plane looks really new. Those pants will likely soon be gone.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on June 04, 2018, 09:08:33 PM
The plane looks really new. Those pants will likely soon be gone.

Its a 99 172, and there are other photos of it with the old door badge and still has skirts.

Here's 2008:

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

There was a directive put out about 10 years ago to remove the wheel pants from the Cessnas after there was an "incident" involving a wheel pant and a flat tire.

Eclipse

The wives tale I heard was "brake inspections" and "tire flat spots".

Seems to be some contention in the AV community as to whether they are "good / better / best " with them on.

Increases drag, decreases weight, pants help prevent stones being thrown up, blah, blah.

The ones with pants are definitely anomalies both in CAP and outside of it.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

No pants on the Maule.  That was some fun flying today. 

Makes me want to fly a taildragger one in Alaska with the 30" wheels. ;D

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Mitchell 1969

I prefer to call them "aeroplane trousers."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

NIN

I told my pilots "Go fly the wheel pants off that thing.. Oh, whoops, too late."

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Briank

Quote from: Eclipse on June 04, 2018, 11:30:23 PM
Increases drag, decreases weight, pants help prevent stones being thrown up, blah, blah.

When I was a flying club maintenance officer I hated wheel pants.  I'd leave them off until someone begged for the extra 3 knots for a long trip.  With the pants on the brake checks are basically impossible by most pilots without maintenance support and even tire pressures seem to get neglected during pre-flights.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Briank on June 05, 2018, 02:38:03 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 04, 2018, 11:30:23 PM

When I was a flying club maintenance officer I hated wheel pants.  I'd leave them off until someone begged for the extra 3 knots for a long trip.  With the pants on the brake checks are basically impossible by most pilots without maintenance support and even tire pressures seem to get neglected during pre-flights.

This.

As a renter, I'm not a fan of wheel pants. The fact that I can look out my window and see the wheels is a bonus. Why cover them up? As you said, they get neglected during pre-flight. I'd much rather be able to walk over to the wheel, visually scan it, and push on it to see how it's holding up before I take her up.

It's one thing to be my own aircraft, and I know exactly how it was last flown and last maintained. It's another to take someone else's aircraft and not be able to look it over fully before taking it up.

lordmonar

Quote from: jfkspotting on June 04, 2018, 08:18:43 PM
From my understanding, all of our Cessna have 'bare landing gear' at CAP. I stumbled upon an image that begs to differ.,

https://beatricedailysun.com/news/local/civil-air-patrol-exercise-set-for-saturday/article_5ef81c04-19a2-58dc-813b-42a81cba9cad.html
I know a lot of them come with the wheel pants and are removed on site.   The 182 in Southern NVWG has them in a box in the hangar.
I think they do it because the get broken too easily.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Live2Learn

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on June 05, 2018, 09:16:16 AM

More like "aeroplane knickers"... :)  Both keep things from public view, and serve the hidden function of smoothing the flow of air and fabric ... i.e. drag.  With britches (knickers or other) weight is not normally of concern unless we fall overboard from a boat.

Eclipse

The intertubes tells us the wheel leggings weigh between 18-20 lbs, and shave 1-2Kts speed.

That's a worthwhile trade as CAP A/C don't do much x-country, but are always looking for more capacity.

"That Others May Zoom"

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Live2Learn on June 05, 2018, 03:37:21 PM
Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on June 05, 2018, 09:16:16 AM

More like "aeroplane knickers"... :)  Both keep things from public view, and serve the hidden function of smoothing the flow of air and fabric ... i.e. drag.  With britches (knickers or other) weight is not normally of concern unless we fall overboard from a boat.

Except...knickers aren't meant to be seen by one and all.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: SarDragon on June 06, 2018, 01:30:49 AM
Maybe breeches?  >:D

Or "aerodynamic pantaloons."

etodd

I was expecting someone to ask about the Maule photo I posted above. Maybe everyone is familiar with it already. Its the first CAP plane I've flown with no CAP identification anywhere. A 2012 model MT-7-235, and was never painted. How unusual is that? Are there very many CAP planes without CAP paint or logos?
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

jeders

If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

EMT-83

N9344L is the 172 that flew over NYC after 9/11. Although the famous painting shows the aircraft with CAP colors, it did not have CAP paint at the time.

It received a paint job with standard CAP colors in 2016.