The use of FaceBook jobs wanted as a recruiting tool!

Started by OldGuy, August 28, 2017, 05:11:58 PM

arajca

To all those dumping on this idea - IT'S A FLIPPIN' TOOL!!!!! Use it if you want or don't, but don't ride someone for using a different tool than what you use.

PHall

Quote from: arajca on September 02, 2017, 12:30:25 AM
To all those dumping on this idea - IT'S A FLIPPIN' TOOL!!!!! Use it if you want or don't, but don't ride someone for using a different tool than what you use.

Chill out dude, it's just a discussion board.

kcebnaes

To anyone who has done this:

Have you had any legitimate success yet? I'm considering doing this for Group staff "jobs" that may be open.
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Great Lakes Region sUAS Officer
Various Other Things™

OldGuy

Quote from: kcebnaes on October 17, 2017, 12:54:31 AM

Have you had any legitimate success yet? I'm considering doing this for Group staff "jobs" that may be open.

We have added a number of cadets and at least one SM since starting this, two more applications today.

OldGuy

Quote from: Cicero on October 17, 2017, 03:48:36 PM
Quote from: kcebnaes on October 17, 2017, 12:54:31 AM

We have added a number of cadets and at least one SM since starting this, two more applications today.

This is just one of many(open house, air shows, Young Eagles, Facebook, etc)  initiatives, but we are up in total census 40% in the last 90 days.

RiverAux

We've had adds on VolunteerMatch for years now and it seems to bring in information on a potential recruit about every other month.  About once a year the person is actually looking for a paying job -- not sure why you would do that on a place called VOLUNTEERMatch.

Flying Pig

Quote from: RiverAux on October 20, 2017, 02:22:11 AM
We've had adds on VolunteerMatch for years now and it seems to bring in information on a potential recruit about every other month.  About once a year the person is actually looking for a paying job -- not sure why you would do that on a place called VOLUNTEERMatch.

You would think?
At work I am bringing on a ridiculously experienced retired A&P IA who's interested in volunteering as needed. I submitted his VOLUNTEER app to "Volunteer Services" and about a week later got an email back from HR denying his app with the note "we do not employ, nor do we have any part time mechanic positions".   I responded and said "I know.... that's why I used the volunteer app and submitted it to volunteer services and refer to the gentleman in the email as "potential volunteer".   

Later I got back, Oh.... I missed that.  Sorry. 

Live2Learn

I've recently talked with the sqdrn commander:  Since the Facebook recruiting began the squadron page has averaged over 5 per hits per week, and cadet numbers have nearly doubled.  SR member numbers have also increased.  The squadron is expanding staff resources to support this rapid growth.  If there is a down side... here it is:  The squadron will soon expand beyond the available space...  :)  :)  :)

RiverAux

Quote from: Cicero on August 29, 2017, 12:26:06 AM
Quote from: NC Hokie on August 28, 2017, 09:50:08 PM
Quote from: donaldfmorgan on August 28, 2017, 05:11:58 PM
Update: Facebook "Jobs" Feature a SUCCESS!

You gave us links to three jobs posted on your squadron's Facebook page.  What makes this a success?

In two weeks, three senior member volunteers with skills, and a cadet officer volunteer new in the community.

I see that the squadron only has about 550 "likes" for the Facebook page.  Are these job announcements getting much "reach"?   Most FB page posts are only getting seen by 5-10% of the people that "like" the page so something must be going on to get this many potential volunteers out of a few posts. 

I'm giving it a shot on my CG Aux flotilla FB page which has about the same number of "likes" as yours.

OldGuy

Quote from: RiverAux on October 22, 2017, 08:48:28 PM
Quote from: Cicero on August 29, 2017, 12:26:06 AM
Quote from: NC Hokie on August 28, 2017, 09:50:08 PM
Quote from: donaldfmorgan on August 28, 2017, 05:11:58 PM
Update: Facebook "Jobs" Feature a SUCCESS!

You gave us links to three jobs posted on your squadron's Facebook page.  What makes this a success?

In two weeks, three senior member volunteers with skills, and a cadet officer volunteer new in the community.

I see that the squadron only has about 550 "likes" for the Facebook page.  Are these job announcements getting much "reach"?   Most FB page posts are only getting seen by 5-10% of the people that "like" the page so something must be going on to get this many potential volunteers out of a few posts. 

I'm giving it a shot on my CG Aux flotilla FB page which has about the same number of "likes" as yours.

Current "reach" is over 1,300.

•   On January 1, 2017, the official squadron Facebook page 430 likes and 415 followers. As of 7 August 2017 the Facebook Page has 527 likes (an increase of 22%) and 510 followers (again, a 22% increase). (Updated as of 7 August 2017.)

Likes AO today are 559.

We really have only started our efforts in the arena of social media 90 days ago, and still have a massive amount to do. In my opinion, we are at less than 10% of the effort we are easily capable of. The successes already have been real and significant.

OldGuy

Quote from: Live2Learn on October 22, 2017, 04:24:23 PM
... and cadet numbers have nearly doubled.  SR member numbers have also increased....
Q.E.D. as my latinate friends would say. :)

RiverAux

That is a significantly better response than I would have expected from a Reach that low.  That being said, I recognize that is actually a good Reach given the size of your audience. 

Did you do anything special to spread the word on these job announcements?  For example, asking all the squadron members already on Facebook to share the post on their own pages? 

etodd

Quote from: RiverAux on October 22, 2017, 08:48:28 PM

Most FB page posts are only getting seen by 5-10% of the people that "like" the page so .....

In a sense, all you need is one person per family, group or organization to see it. "Hey Mike, look at this. Your cousin Fred might be interested."

And THAT ... is the power of social marketing and networking. Its NOT the direct hits, its the second and third tier layers, and beyond.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

OldGuy

Quote from: RiverAux on October 23, 2017, 12:28:14 AM
Did you do anything special to spread the word on these job announcements?  For example, asking all the squadron members already on Facebook to share the post on their own pages?
Not yet. We will.

RiverAux

I suppose the questions are
1.  Whether using the jobs wanted feature brings in more people than if you just put up a general post recruiting volunteers. 
2.  Whether these sort of results are sustainable.  I would suspect that over a fairly short period of time you are going to recruit any lurkers in your page audience.  If this is the dynamic, then using the jobs feature may work best with pipeline recruiting and onboarding strategies discussed elsewhere on CAPTALK.  That would give you some time to have new lurkers like the page and then be available for recruiting at the best time. 

FYI, with having the jobs post up on our CG Aux flotilla page we already have one potential recruit signed up.  And, besides putting the job in the volunteer category, I listed the job as "Volunteer Boatcrew Member" to make sure people knew no money was involved.  I have asked flotilla members to share it, but so far the job post reach is only 75.  That being the case, I'm pretty happy with the strategy. 

RiverAux

We've now had three four potential recruits in about one day.  Still with less than 200 post reach.  The odd thing is that they all appear to be relatively young women (30s or so).  I suspected fake profiles, but they after checking them out (in a good way :) ) they seem legit -- one is former Navy and other is a friend of a firefighter I know. 

So, if nothing else, this tool is bringing people closer to the door, if not all the way in yet.  I'm a fan just based on this.  When you only get 10-20 leads a year any that you can add are well worth it.

RiverAux

Just as an update, so far we've had four potential recruits come to Aux flotilla meetings based on these ads which is as good if not better than any other major recruiting event that I've been involved in with CAP or the Aux.  I think even the biggest airshow event we did with CAP only brought in a few potential people and took massive amounts of effort (same goes for Aux boatshow booths). 

By the way, after I started "screening" folks a bit by making sure they understood that this was a volunteer gig before passing them on to our HR folks, three of those four people came to our January meeting.

Interestingly, the last three folks were all volunteer firefighters as well, which shows a genuine proclivity for volunteering. 

I would absolutely recommend that this be integrated into your recruiting program.