Main Menu

This one cadet... in my wing

Started by Cmdbuddy, July 11, 2005, 10:19:04 PM

Matt

when all else fails, make him salute about 1000 times... he'll gain muscle memory...  (ok, not 1000, that's hazing, but still, just make him practice, the muscle memory will kick in eventually)
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

footballrun21

Quote from: thefischNX01 on November 18, 2005, 05:33:20 PM
If this is the same cadet I'm thinking of, the good Cadet has tried to re-train him, to little avail. 

Yea, we tried, but I guess he just really didn't care.  He hasn't been active in CAP for about 2-3 months now.
C/2d Lt. Stephen Pettit, CAP
New Jersey Wing

WICAPMOM

:) Try to keep patient.  Eventually the training and practice will work.   

The only other thing I can think may hinder the process is if perhaps the cadet does not want to be here or is having some difficulty adjusting.  In his heart maybe he is still in England.

:o It is a tough thing to move away from your home but to make the new home in a new country... this is a very big adjustment for him.   :-\

Remember the Salute he is giving is not "funky" to him.  The salute even though it is different is still a sign of respect.  What do you think the people of England think of our salute? ???

The art of the salute originated in his homeland of England.  Back during the time of kings and knights and formal courtly manners, the chivalry age . The etiquette of the day dictated that, should two knights who were friendly met, each would raise their visor of their helmets, and show their faces.  Thus paying the proper respect to one another. 8)

Remember this is probably not an easy change, make some allowances; most of all do your best to be patient!

Quote from: footballrun21 on November 19, 2005, 02:15:20 AM
Quote from: thefischNX01 on November 18, 2005, 05:33:20 PM
If this is the same cadet I'm thinking of, the good Cadet has tried to re-train him, to little avail. 

Yea, we tried, but I guess he just really didn't care.  He hasn't been active in CAP for about 2-3 months now.

Sorry to hear this, but please don't give up on him.  Try to put yourself in his shoes.  I see a lot of potential to learn from some one who was born in another country.
Julie Anne
Major, CAP ~ Commander
Milwaukee Comp Sqdn 5 (WI-061)

MIKE

Quote from: Matt on November 18, 2005, 02:33:31 PM
We had Royal Canadian Air Cadets for our RCLS (Wisconsin Cadet Academy) two years ago, and they had no problems with our drill and courtesies after about one day.  Just sit with him and train him, he'll most likely be more than willing to learn.

You made the RCAC cadets drill and salute American Style?  It's one thing if you are showing them how we do things a bit differently... But IMO it would be improper to require RCAC personnel to drill and perform customs and courtesies per AFMAN 36-2203 when they are participating in an activity in their countries uniform.  It's just not cricket.
Mike Johnston

shorning

Quote from: MIKE on November 19, 2005, 03:16:41 AM
We had Royal Canadian Air Cadets for our RCLS (Wisconsin Cadet Academy) two years ago, and they had no problems with our drill and courtesies after about one day.  Just sit with him and train him, he'll most likely be more than willing to learn.

You made the RCAC cadets drill and salute American Style?  It's one thing if you are showing them how we do things a bit differently... But IMO it would be improper to require RCAC personnel to drill and perform customs and courtesies per AFMAN 36-2203 when they are participating in an activity in their countries uniform.  It's just not cricket.

It does make for a bit of a sticky wicket, doesn't it old chap.  ;)

Pylon

Eh, when I was on IACE in the UK, we attended some cadet functions and stood in some formations and some sort of official review parade and we were taught how to properly execute British drill.  We learned the whole snapping to attention and stomping your feet around and the funny saluting and everything else -- we complied and enjoyed it. When you're in a host country, you use their customs and courtesies -- just as you would as a civilian business traveller in another culture.  I think it's fine -- heck, I enjoyed the British drill, a weird as it seemed to us. 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

airforcecolors

Quote from: shorning on November 19, 2005, 08:04:17 AM

It does make for a bit of a sticky wicket, doesn't it old chap.  ;)

I can understand that it may seem out of line to teach them American Drill, but how would it look to have a flight of Air Cadets and CAP cadets using different drill manuals? How would you get from one place to another by using both types of drill? You would need two commands - it would be really hectic.
There are three kinds of people in this world...people that get things, people that watch others get things done, and people that wonder what just happened...WHICH ONE ARE YOU?

Matt

nah, commands are mostly the same with the exception of fancier drill.  It just would have been interesting with their kicks in their turns. *ducks*

Yoda

This isn't a cadet, but I did have a guy in my class the other day inform us that Thanksgiving was really just when we killed the Pilgrims.   ::)

MustangCadet

no thanksgiving is when one day a year we come together and celebrate the people who we killed and stole land from. ([JOKE]<=but true)
C/CMSgt Anthony Gallozzi
Mustang Cadet Squadron
RMR-CO-148
HGA White Hat '07

WICAPMOM

:-[ Cute but wrong.  Thanksgiving really has very little to due with the Indians or the pilgrims.  This is just the story that we relate to being the first time Thanksgiving was celebrated in the new world.

The Thanksgiving that we now know as the first thanksgiving was a religious gathering, known as the harvest feast, to feast and give prayers of thanks to the lord after the harvest.  It lasted for three days.  It was the only type of celebration allowed by the pilgrim's faith.  The pilgrims' actual day of "Thanksgiving" was a variety of days where they went to church to... get this... give thanks to the lord.  :o

The first proclamation for the US holiday now known as Thanksgiving was created in the State of New-Hampshire on November 1, 1782.  As a day to... get this... give thanks to the lord.  For anything you felt thankful for.

George Washington proclaimed a National Day of Thanksgiving in 1789.  And later, President Thomas Jefferson dissolved the idea of having a National Day of Thanksgiving.  In 1863, President Lincoln proclaimed the last Thursday in November as a national day of Thanksgiving.  In 1941, Thanksgiving was finally sanctioned by Congress as a legal holiday, as the fourth Thursday in November.
Julie Anne
Major, CAP ~ Commander

BillB

Does that mean that the 4th Friday in November is when turkeys celebrate Thanksgiving?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

MustangCadet

wicapmom they way i know of it is that our harvests were not doing so well and we need help from the indians to help us grow food so we could survive. The indians helped us and we gathered in 3 days with the indians and we (the pilgrims) and the indians partyed like it was 1799 for 3 days and we had thanksgiving to celebrate the harvests with the indians.
C/CMSgt Anthony Gallozzi
Mustang Cadet Squadron
RMR-CO-148
HGA White Hat '07

MIKE

Mike Johnston

WICAPMOM

Quote from: MustangCadet on December 03, 2005, 01:41:03 AM
wicapmom they way i know of it is that our harvests were not doing so well and we need help from the Indians to help us grow food so we could survive. The Indians helped us and we gathered in 3 days with the Indians and we (the pilgrims) and the Indians partied like it was 1799 for 3 days and we had thanksgiving to celebrate the harvests with the Indians.

:) That is partially true, the Pilgrims actually called the gathering they celebrated the  "harvest feast."  Which we now know as the first Thanksgiving.  But it was not really the first for the Native Americans or the Pilgrims.  The Native Americans gave thanks, to the creator of all things, daily.  And for the Pilgrims, it was a very common practice in Europe for a yearly "Harvest Feast" and many days of "Thanksgiving" which were solemn and holy days for the lord.  Granted the Pilgrims did have more to be thankful for at this time because they had survived the winter and they had found friends in the new world.  Harvest feasts and days of Thanksgiving were also celebrated by many other peoples.  It wasn't even the first one celebrated in the new world. ;D

Here are a couple of web sites for you to check out:

History of the "first thanksgiving"
** http://pilgrims.net/plymouth/thanksgiving.htm
** http://www.plimoth.org/visit/what/exhibits/thanksgiving.asp

President Lincoln's Thanksgiving Proclamation:
http://members.aol.com/calebj/proclamation.html
::)

8) I suggest that you read Lincoln's proclamation it has the intended meaning and purpose of Thanksgiving.
Julie Anne
Major, CAP ~ Commander

Cadet Bonnett

Quote from: Schmidty06 on July 13, 2005, 07:53:15 PM
There's this cadet in my squadron who will not shut up.  Two four hour drives to Great Falls and back (four hours there, four hours back) in the van were horrible.  Even after we all started ignoring him (trying to see if he'd shut up) he just kept on talking to himself.

thats me
Cadet A1C Christin Bonnett
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

El Campamento del Ala de NH aquí yo vengo.

Cadet Bonnett

At encampment last year we had a cadet staff that was obsessed with ceral and would the ones with little jumping beans in it. She gave mike (as in the Mopnsters inc green monster with one eye) to Squadron 14 and they made it thier mascot. A couple days later Squadron13 had Mickey and Duct Tape. .... WE KILLED MIKE.

On my Sarex last weekend,  there was one cadet that wouldn't get ff the phone with his gf and he would just go on and on. It was kinda annoying i tell ya. Not only that.... but he jsut wouldn't shut up.

I wouldn't either but still.
Cadet A1C Christin Bonnett
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

El Campamento del Ala de NH aquí yo vengo.

Heather

"There are three kinds of people in this world...people that get things, people that watch others get things done, and people that wonder what just happened...WHICH ONE ARE YOU?"

A LOT OF TIMES I'M THE ONE THAT WONDERS WHAT JUST HAPPENED! Other wise I'm the one that gets things...
C/TSgt. Bourne, Heather
GT3, CERT, Radio Comm. certified
399th Composite Squadron

Matt

Quote from: Heather on July 20, 2006, 10:13:51 PM
"There are three kinds of people in this world...people that get things, people that watch others get things done, and people that wonder what just happened...WHICH ONE ARE YOU?"

A LOT OF TIMES I'M THE ONE THAT WONDERS WHAT JUST HAPPENED! Other wise I'm the one that gets things...

There are three kinds of people in this world: those who can count and those who can't.  ;)

Becks

Quote from: Matt on July 21, 2006, 01:14:15 PM
Quote from: Heather on July 20, 2006, 10:13:51 PM

There are three kinds of people in this world: those who can count and those who can't.  ;)

But dont worry Matt, youre unique, just like everybody else.  ;D

BBATW