Main Menu

Cvill Air Patrol Stories !

Started by Matt Moon, September 14, 2011, 03:23:28 AM

Matt Moon

Hi" there every one i just join CAP 2" months and a week ago, I'm new to CAP and to this Chat I'm looking forward to hearing old & new stories if any one would like to share . I'm" from  Irving Texas unit TX SWR- 133 Composite Squadron I'm" a CAP Officer .

Eclipse

Welcome to CAP talk.

FYI - you're a "Senior Member" - the term "officer" as a generic term for adult members was never officially adopted and was disavowed by our (recently) former National Commander.

Once your are promoted to 2d Lt., then you'll truly be a CAP "officer".

(I will now get crap from 4 people for making an issue of this...)

Texas Wing is pretty active, and we have a number of members from there, not the least of which is "Sparky" Carrales, who will likely be along any time to say "Hi".

"That Others May Zoom"

Matt Moon

Well thank you i look forward to meeting them and thank`s for the information .

Matt Moon

So I'm not considered an officer until i earn my Mitchel as a second lieutenant right ? I thought that CAP Senior Member was the first officer rank because it`s on the rank structure that say`s CAP right above Butter Bar ? How  long will  it take before i get commissioned ?

Extremepredjudice

Welcome to CAP and CAPTalk!

Do you have any specific interests in CAP? IE, communications.

Mitchell is for cadets.

It takes 6 months to become a 2nd lt. I could be wrong, Though. :angel:

Eclipse, what do I call SMs then? If they aren't officers than I can't call 'em sir/ma'am.

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on September 14, 2011, 04:25:04 AM
If they aren't officers than I can't call 'em sir/ma'am.

Sir and Ma'am aren't reserved for only for officers.  Last I checked, that title of address is a universal form of politeness that you can use for anyone you meet, military or civilian.  If you bump into a nice old lady in the grocery store, would not you say, "Oh, pardon me, ma'am."  Or, if you were too weak to open a jar of pickles, you could say, "Excuse me, sir, could you open these pickles for me?"

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SarDragon

Eclipse, what do I call SMs then? If they aren't officers than I can't call 'em sir/ma'am.

Sure you can. You can call anyone you want, sir or ma'am. I generally reserve it for  someone that I respect.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Matt Moon

Well Eclipse i was wondering because every call`s me sir so what are they suppose to call me because they can`t call me Airman lol  and 6 months is nothing .

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Matt Moon on September 14, 2011, 04:33:24 AM
Well Eclipse i was wondering because every call`s me sir so what are they suppose to call me because they can`t call me Airman lol  and 6 months is nothing .

Welcome, I would suggest that you make a post here: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=135.0

It's the introduction thread.  I think there may be some confusion about whether or not you are a cadet member or an adult (senior) member.  Knowing what membership category you are actually in will help us provide more accurate information to the questions you are posing.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: jimmydeanno on September 14, 2011, 04:31:01 AM
If they aren't officers than I can't call 'em sir/ma'am.

Sir and Ma'am aren't reserved for only for officers.  Last I checked, that title of address is a universal form of politeness that you can use for anyone you meet, military or civilian.  If you bump into a nice old lady in the grocery store, would not you say, "Oh, pardon me, ma'am."  Or, if you were too weak to open a jar of pickles, you could say, "Excuse me, sir, could you open these pickles for me?"
I was giving him a hard time.
If it is "universal politeness" how do you think sergeants feel when they are called sir/ma'am? >:D
Never use never or ever.

I don't like pickles >:D

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on September 14, 2011, 04:37:17 AM
If it is "universal politeness" how do you think sergeants feel when they are called sir/ma'am? >:D
Never use never or ever.

That depends on if they were cast in a Hollywood movie or not.

Matt Moon

Well that`s not accurate you never call a master sergeant our drill instruter sir they will make your life a living hell and tell you they dont wear a compass around there neck they work`s for a living  civilian world it`s just out of respect .  You never call a enlisted person ma`am our sir lol  you adress them by there rank our they will make you get down in the foward leaning rest postion and do push ups .

Matt Moon

Now can you tell the commander on here that my unit need`s a box of ground guides & a seat of grid squares for next week`s formation and see if they can have them sent over .

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Matt Moon on September 14, 2011, 04:47:26 AM
Well that`s not accurate you never call a master sergeant our drill instruter sir they will make your life a living hell and tell you they dont wear a compass around there neck they work`s for a living  civilian world it`s just out of respect .  You never call a enlisted person ma`am our sir lol  you adress them by there rank our they will make you get down in the foward leaning rest postion and do push ups .
I know. I was just responding to his arbitrary statements.

Btw, pushups are hazing... :(

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Matt Moon on September 14, 2011, 04:47:26 AM

*sigh*

Matt Moon

So how about that box of ground guides for next week`s formation .

Matt Moon

Well it`s 12:00 hours so im going to get off here and hit the rack yall be sure to enjoy yourselfs  nice talking with you .

NCRblues

good thing NCO's in the AF are called sir or ma'am...

Just because one branch does things one way does not mean they all do it that way....

I think ill take a line close to RM, remember, were the Civil Air Patrol, USAF Aux. Not army, navy or marines Aux. We do things the AF way....
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: NCRblues on September 14, 2011, 05:24:12 AM
good thing NCO's in the AF are called sir or ma'am...

Just because one branch does things one way does not mean they all do it that way....

I think ill take a line close to RM, remember, were the Civil Air Patrol, USAF Aux. Not army, navy or marines Aux. We do things the AF way....
Seriously?  :o

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor