Can non-CAP missions be used as qualifiers for number of missions performed?

Started by Holding Pattern, June 28, 2017, 07:20:28 PM

Holding Pattern

By way of example, if one is a GTM3 trainee and has one CAP mission in there, but also goes out on a county SAR mission as a GTM with a mission number, does that mission number qualify for the second mission to promote out of trainee status?

Alaric

Quote from: Mordecai on June 28, 2017, 07:20:28 PM
By way of example, if one is a GTM3 trainee and has one CAP mission in there, but also goes out on a county SAR mission as a GTM with a mission number, does that mission number qualify for the second mission to promote out of trainee status?

I don't see how it could, first you would need a CAP SET or IC on the second mission with you, second you would need it to be a CAP mission number, third you are being signed off as performing a mission as a CAP GTM not a whatever county GTM. 

As ES officer I would not approve it, YMMV

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Brad

"Not my monkeys, not my problem" can just as easily be "not my monkeys, not my training." You're expected to perform CAP missions to the CAP standard with those specific measurable metrics. So no.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Holding Pattern

Understood. Next question:

https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/R060_003_075A4369FBA8E.pdf
"Finally, after completing familiarization and preparatory training, supervised trainees
must complete advanced training and participate satisfactorily in two missions before a CAPF
101 is approved and a member is considered "Qualified." "

"These two "missions" do not have to be on different mission numbers, be AFAMs, or be
completed after all other advanced training is complete, but personnel must have completed all
familiarization and preparatory training in order to receive credit for these sorties. These sorties
must be complete sorties and/or operating periods where the member participates in all aspects of
their assigned mission specialty. It is possible to participate in more than one specialty on a
given mission or day. "

If I'm reading this right, if a ground team is released and returned twice on one CAP mission number, that counts for the qualification?

Eclipse

Quote from: Mordecai on June 28, 2017, 07:47:33 PM
If I'm reading this right, if a ground team is released and returned twice on one CAP mission number, that counts for the qualification?

Yes - essentially the mandate is two sorties, not two "missions", per se. 

Some wings may have other requirements, so check locally.

"That Others May Zoom"

disamuel

It would be for two sorties if they were released twice, so they could get two signoffs. I would want to make sure that the sorties each had some significant activities. If they were released, recalled, and released again, then I would not count that as two sorties.

Eclipse

Quote from: disamuel on June 29, 2017, 07:21:45 PM
It would be for two sorties if they were released twice, so they could get two signoffs. I would want to make sure that the sorties each had some significant activities. If they were released, recalled, and released again, then I would not count that as two sorties.

Well, that's well-intentioned, but ultimately the subjective call of the SET.

There's no indication in the regs about duration or intensity, technically a sortie is a sortie, and at least to
a certain extent, in a training environment, the prep and paperwork practice is as important as the field work.

There's plenty of aircrew sorties that that turn into pattern rides but people still get credit.

Not necessarily a best-practice, but you don't want to be too hard-nosed about it if you want people to keep playing.

"That Others May Zoom"