Message logs and traffic forms in mission files

Started by Eclipse, January 30, 2013, 04:38:07 PM

Eclipse

What are other wings keeping for mission history files in regards to comm message forms.

Just the logs?  All the traffic forms? (We use 3-part forms, so that triples the paper involved).

NHQ and CAP-USAF have OK'ed our using WMIRS* as the historical storage for our mission records, so I'm looking at reducing
what we have to scan / .PDF, etc.

Comm logs from the branches and various desks would show the flow, but if there were a question on an important message not received
or interpreted correctly, only the traffic form would likely show that.

*The one issue we are still waiting for is an answer on how this would intersect out 4-year retention requirement.  WMIRS would presumably
have the files, but we can only see one year at a time.

"That Others May Zoom"

sardak

Regarding WMIRS, I just checked and I can recover uploaded missions files back to 2008. We didn't upload mission files any earlier than that, and only on a couple of missions in 2008.

Images, however, are all gone up to now. I'm sure the disappearing photos is related to the imagery requirements handed down from the USAF last summer.

I include the comm logs. I can't recall any multi-part forms, but I would save only the layer with the most info. If a message is sent and answered, I'd save the copy with the request and answer, but not the copy without the answer. If no answer received, then of course the original message would be saved.

Mike

Eclipse

^ That's pretty micro for large missions - I'm sitting on 3 inches of paper here from one single mission's message traffic (an eval)!

How are you accessing WMIRS history?  I'm only able to see the current fiscal year.

"That Others May Zoom"

sardak

Ah! Pick your battles. Ops Evals, large CD missions, etc. get put in one or more folders and filed at wing HQ. I'm not going to scan those in. Someone else can do that if they don't want the paper. Routine missions get scanned and uploaded. Encouraging the use of electronic forms to start with and not printing out e104s and scanning them back in also reduces the load.

On the left side WMIRS menu is a "Mission No. Search" box. Immediately below that is an "Advanced Search" link.
>For a single mission, just enter the last four digits of the mission number in the search box and Go.
>For complex queries, use the Advanced Search feature.

If those don't work, then the ability to search and access older missions must be permissions based.

Mike

Eclipse

Quote from: sardak on January 30, 2013, 07:01:32 PM
Ah! Pick your battles. Ops Evals, large CD missions, etc. get put in one or more folders and filed at wing HQ. I'm not going to scan those in. Someone else can do that if they don't want the paper. Routine missions get scanned and uploaded. Encouraging the use of electronic forms to start with and not printing out e104s and scanning them back in also reduces the load.

Yeah, that would be >me<.  You can't be "paperless" with a bunch of paper shoved in folders.

I'm not see the history, will have to check to see if they can light up additional permissions.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Gotta say IMU is handy for this.

Hit the "Print Mission Paperwork Package" get a nice PDF of everything, from Comm Logs, Command Logs, 211s, 218s, 104s, 109s all ready to upload into WMIRS.