Main Menu

Favorite NCSA?

Started by whatevah, March 05, 2005, 09:42:13 PM

whatevah

Please post some comments about your favorite NCSA (not counting IACE, please... :) )
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Pylon

Quote from: whatevah
Please post some comments about your favorite NCSA (not counting IACE, please... :) )

Well, since we're discounting IACE, I guess I'd have to say NFA-P is my favorite NCSA.  When I was a cadet, I really enjoyed my time at NFA, which I believe I took at Ft. Pickett, Virginia.   It's an NCSA which really is at the heart of CAP, being the aerospace-oriented organization that we are.

It's an especially great program for anybody thinking about becoming a pilot.  The flight academy will give you the experience you need to see if you really want to be one, and the great headstart in hours and training should you choose to continue your training.

What other programs have you all enjoyed?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Schmidty06

Well, since I've only been to NBB, I'd have to say... NBB.

arajca

WIWAC, the only NCSA's (although they weren't called that) were IACE, COS, and NBB. Wing activities were more prevelent. I loved the ILWG Balloon Encampment. Actually was solo qualified in hot air balloons. Flying in a metal box ain't got nothing on balloons for sheer enjoyment and peacefulness. I also did ILWG Power encampment. Didn't solo because of weather - something about being in tornado alley.

I did do IACE, but won't comment on it.

Capt SSnyder

Speaking of ILWG Flight Encampment, there are still openings for Balloon for this year. There may also be slots for power and glider. For more information go to  http://jfe.ilwg.cap.gov/index.htm.
Steven Snyder, Capt. CAP
Commander
Woodfield Composite Squadron
GLR-IL-075

Greg

I've only been to two, but of the two, Hawk Mountain didn't even come nearly close to PJOC.  I applied to COS, so I'm hoping to get into that.
C/Maj Greg(ory) Boyajian, CAP
Air Victory Museum Composite Squadron

airforcecolors

NESA is the most comfortable NCSA I have been to... great friendships that may stay with me for the rest of my life. I really felt like I was a part of a family.

Although I did enjoy the HGA, at the end of TWO weeks, our all girl flight was more than ready to kill each other.
There are three kinds of people in this world...people that get things, people that watch others get things done, and people that wonder what just happened...WHICH ONE ARE YOU?

Chris Jacobs

I am thinking about going to NBB.  is it well worth it?
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

whatevah

do you like planes and meeting people from all over the US?  if you answered yes... there's the answer for you. :)
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Mac

Quote from: Chris Jacobs on October 21, 2005, 03:12:44 AM
I am thinking about going to NBB.  is it well worth it?

I would have to say that NBB is very worth it, but then I'm a little partail to NBB. Been there the last two years on the ES Team.
Derk MacPherson, Lt Col, CAP
Vice Commander
Alaska Wing, PCR-AK-001

Chris Jacobs

I have heard that at NBB that you have to rotate around and do all of the jobs.  which i think is a good idea.  but if you have a favorite or one that you become really good at do you get to chose at all to do that one task more often.  also how hard is it to get accepted.  i have been in CAP for 5 years, i have several ES ratings, i have my solo wings, and i am a C/2Lt.  do you think i have a good chance at being accepted.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

Yoda

Quote from: Chris Jacobs on October 21, 2005, 06:16:54 PM
I have heard that at NBB that you have to rotate around and do all of the jobs.  which i think is a good idea.  but if you have a favorite or one that you become really good at do you get to chose at all to do that one task more often.  also how hard is it to get accepted.  i have been in CAP for 5 years, i have several ES ratings, i have my solo wings, and i am a C/2Lt.  do you think i have a good chance at being accepted.
I'd say you probably do.  All the activities are competitive, but if you're a fairly active cadet who participates across the spectrum, it'll help you a lot when it comes time to get picked.

BlueLakes1

AETC-FC MS is the way to go, if you think you want to be a USAF pilot. Get a week of SUPT crammed in you, you get sim time and go do stand ups with the real SUPT classes. I highly recommend it.
Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC

Mac

Quote from: Chris Jacobs on October 21, 2005, 06:16:54 PM

At NBB all the flights rotate through the different duties which include (If I can remember them all) Flightline North, Flightline South, ES, Warbirds, Ultralights, HQ Duty, and or course Free Time. Each rotation is usually about 90 min, with a few exceptions like free time (3 hours). You will normally pull all or most of the duties each day. so it makes for some long hard days. The duty day once we go operational is from 0700 - 2000 (13 Hours). Now if during your free time you would like to get with the ES guys and work on some additional ratings or training we are always willing to help out and train someone if we have time.

Hope this give you some insight into NBB and hopefully I'll see you there.
Vice Commander
Alaska Wing, PCR-AK-001

WICAPMOM

Quote from: Nukem on October 24, 2005, 06:13:55 PM
At NBB all the flights rotate through the different duties which include (If I can remember them all) Flightline North, Flightline South, ES, Warbirds, Ultralights, HQ Duty, and or course Free Time. Each rotation is usually about 90 min, with a few exceptions like free time (3 hours). You will normally pull all or most of the duties each day. so it makes for some long hard days. The duty day once we go operational is from 0700 - 2000 (13 Hours). Now if during your free time you would like to get with the ES guys and work on some additional ratings or training we are always willing to help out and train someone if we have time.

??? I am sorry but doesn't 13 hours exceed the allowed time for an operation day. (Even with your 3 hour rest)  ???  Each sorte includes the break.
Julie Anne
Major, CAP ~ Commander
Milwaukee Comp Sqdn 5 (WI-061)

Mac

I don't ever seem to remember seeing anything about ground teams having a duty day limitation like the air crew's do. I know i have spent well over 13 hours in one day going GT missions from leaving in the morning for the mission base and returning about 18 hours later.

Granted i didn't drive the entire time but i was up and working except for the drive back.
Vice Commander
Alaska Wing, PCR-AK-001

Matt

I'm thinking, it actually depends on the crew itself.  ORM calls for adequate rest.  If you can only pull a 6 hr day, then that is what it should be limited to.  If you can pull an 18 hr day and caffeine is your bestest of friends (like me) - go for it.

I do, however, think that 13 is pushing it a bit much for 2 weeks....  Even with the REDCAP syndrome, it still takes its toll over time.
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

Mac

Quote from: Matt on October 24, 2005, 09:39:03 PMI do, however, think that 13 is pushing it a bit much for 2 weeks....  Even with the REDCAP syndrome, it still takes its toll over time.

I would have to agree, doing 13 hour duty days for 2 weeks would be rough, but then I'm used to that. But, at NBB we're only operational for 9 days.  Of course the seniors on the ES staff usually start working at about 0630 for those 9 days and are doing paperwork and such until 10 or 11 each night to get ready for the next day.

As for the cadets there are usually 6 flight on duty at one time (IIRC) and the other 5 or 6 flights (depends on how many cadets are there) are on freetime or some other detail until it's there turn.
Vice Commander
Alaska Wing, PCR-AK-001

elkorona

Quote from: airforcecolors on October 19, 2005, 11:30:05 PM
NESA is the most comfortable NCSA I have been to... great friendships that may stay with me for the rest of my life. I really felt like I was a part of a family.

Although I did enjoy the HGA, at the end of TWO weeks, our all girl flight was more than ready to kill each other.

I would have to say IACE.  Although COS and NESA were both awesome (I met Ruesch at NESA) I just thought IACE topped all of them.  The people I met, the stuff I experianced can never be topped by a NCSA.  It was just awesome.
Lt Col Elliott Korona, CAP
Deputy Director, Civic Leadership Academy

Horn229

Quote from: Gorfour20 on October 30, 2005, 05:31:35 PM
Quote from: airforcecolors on October 19, 2005, 11:30:05 PM

I would have to say IACE.  Although COS and NESA were both awesome (I met Ruesch at NESA) I just thought IACE topped all of them.  The people I met, the stuff I experianced can never be topped by a NCSA.  It was just awesome.

Outstanding attention to detail there Elliott. Way to answer the thread author's question. Didn't I teach you anything at encampment? (don't answer that :D )
NICHOLAS A. HORN, Senior Member, CAP