Cadet Programs Newsletters

Started by Pylon, June 30, 2005, 08:15:59 PM

Pylon

Out of curiosity, how many of your squadrons, groups, or wings do some sort of periodic Cadet Programs related newsletter?

I just started with the first one for my Group and --so far-- I feel it's the best way to announce changes, new programs and activities, upcoming deadlines, and news that cadets will want to hear about (because they're in it!).  It seems that it might go over well with the parents as well.

So far, I'm distributing almost entirely by e-mail, as I have no budget to print it out.  If I had, though, I would really like to send these home to the parents of the cadets.  I have a feeling that most parents have no idea what their cadets do, or what's been going on in their son's or daughter's squadron, let alone what upcoming activities there are.

What do you all think?  Good idea?  Something to be improved on?   Have you seen other ideas or methods used to make this idea work better?

To get a better idea of what I'm talking about, the first issue of our Group's Cadet Programs newsletter can be viewed at:
http://www.syracusecap.org/files/CP_Newsletter_June.pdf    :)

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Westernslope

Great newsletter!!! I like your format and the info provided.

I agree regarding the parents.  Unless newsletters are mailed to them,  they often do not make it home. So sorry, I do not have a solution for that.

MSWG has a CP newsletter that is sent via email and is posted on the cadet (yahoo) message board.  I think it will also be posted at some point on their Wing Website.

Unfortunately, the file is too large to post here. :(  I could send it via email if you really would like to see it  - it is 400K.

Xeno

My squadron does a simple newsletter each week via email regarding the next weeks activities, a review of the previous weeks events, inspections, and/or promotions in the squadron. It also covers any news sent down the pipe by Wing and National. I used to send it out myself but I recently passed it on to an NCO in my unit who has been assisting me on the squadron website. However, I still regularly contribute articles to it.
C/1st Lt. Josh Sims
C/CC SWR-AR-095

121.5 -- If you crash, we will dash...

Basically Regs

I've never heard of them. Do most squads. have them?

Pylon

Quote from: Basically Regs on July 06, 2005, 08:59:12 PM
I've never heard of them. Do most squads. have them?

Have what?

When you're asking questions here at CAPTalk, you need to be more specific -- otherwise, we won't know what you're talking about.  Are you speaking of a newsletter, or a Public Affairs Officer, or a Cadet Program?

It seems like you are pretty new to CAP.  A lot of these very basic questions can be answered by talking to your Flight Sergeant at your squadron or by looking up the answers yourself at the CAP Knowledgebase website.

Speaking of which, your unit is called a "squadron," not a squad.  A squad is something much smaller. 

pixelwonk

As the good lieutenant said, your unit is called a squadron.

However, I see that you have put a period after "Squad." so if you mean to abbreivate it, you might want to use Sqdn. or just Sq. 
That way people will not be prone to gigging you for it.

Basically Regs

Thanks for the correction. No one's corrected me on that before. I thought it was correct.
I was talking about the newsletters that different Sqdn. put out. I guess that the one I go to doesn't have one.

Pylon

Quote from: Basically Regs on July 06, 2005, 11:21:57 PM
Thanks for the correction. No one's corrected me on that before. I thought it was correct.
I was talking about the newsletters that different Sqdn. put out. I guess that the one I go to doesn't have one.

No problem.  Learning is part of the process.  :)

Regarding the newsletters, not every squadron has them.  This will, to my knowledge, be the only regularly published CP-related newsletter in my Group.  But, this way, I can pull in stories from all the squadorns so that each unit can not only read the news about their own activities and accomplishments, but see what the other units in our Group are up to as well.

If it's something that lacks in your area, and you want to help change it, propose it to your Chain of Command.  Perhaps you'll be delighted to find out that they'd be willing to let you write one, or to help on the project for one.

QuietRiot

Quote from: Pylon on June 30, 2005, 08:15:59 PM
Out of curiosity, how many of your squadrons, groups, or wings do some sort of periodic Cadet Programs related newsletter?

I just started with the first one for my Group and --so far-- I feel it's the best way to announce changes, new programs and activities, upcoming deadlines, and news that cadets will want to hear about (because they're in it!).  It seems that it might go over well with the parents as well.

So far, I'm distributing almost entirely by e-mail, as I have no budget to print it out.  If I had, though, I would really like to send these home to the parents of the cadets.  I have a feeling that most parents have no idea what their cadets do, or what's been going on in their son's or daughter's squadron, let alone what upcoming activities there are.

What do you all think?  Good idea?  Something to be improved on?   Have you seen other ideas or methods used to make this idea work better?

To get a better idea of what I'm talking about, the first issue of our Group's Cadet Programs newsletter can be viewed at:
http://www.syracusecap.org/files/CP_Newsletter_June.pdf    :)

I think a cadet newsletter is a very good idea. ;D  In my squadron, not all the cadets check their email regularly, so a printed newsletter really helps as far as upcoming activities and changes to the CoC. :)  Having a printed piece is also good for cadets to take home with them, or for prospective members to pick up. 

I'm the cadet PAO, so I put the newsletter out on the first meeting of every month.  In the beginning, my Leadership Officer suggested I put out a bi-monthly, "In case I ran out of material".  ;D
??? Seriously, have you ever met a female who ran out of things to talk about??  ;)

I'm thinking about putting out a "Recruitment Edition" over the summer, about who we are, what we do, some snappy encampment / activity pics, etc.   ??? Any suggestions?

P.S.

??? Just out of curiosity, does your newsletter have a name?
C/SSgt Wheeler

"The Code is more like guidelines than actual rules"