Color Guard

Started by shlebz, May 08, 2011, 06:46:12 PM

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: shlebz on June 15, 2011, 05:50:41 PM
i kind of feel bad for asking the question now....
by the way, i did participate in the color guard and it went over very well.

Good on you for carrying it out!

jimmydeanno

Quote from: davidsinn on June 15, 2011, 05:41:18 PM
Not everything has to be about expanding leadership skills. Somethings can just be about being fun. Or getting it done.

I wasn't arguing that C/Officers shouldn't/can't do local color guard things.  I was showing that the D&C manual reason wasn't really the reason that C/Officers can't compete at NCGC.

When you're designing an overall program, "Just for fun" doesn't enter the equation, really.  So, the goals get taken into consideration, the organization elects to have a color guard competition, and using the goals of the cadet program they determine the most appropriate level to incorporate it - which is C/Amn-C/NCOs because they should be working on personal leadership and small-team leadership.

The C/Officers can help with the team, but in the guidance, planning/future picture stuff.  Which is what is appropriate for them to be learning at the time.

C/Officers marching in a local parade on a color guard?  I don't have issues with it.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

mrg

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on June 15, 2011, 05:40:10 PM
Now you're just trolling.

"The regulations do not prohibit cadet officers from participating in a local color guard"

Say it with me:

"The regulations do not prohibit cadet officers from participating in a local color guard"

The regulations do not prohibit cadet officers from participating in local color guard. Yay!! I said it, lol.

I come from a different perspective on these issues, I have family that are active duty USAF. Also, my spouse is Army (Commands and Infantry Unit) and former CAP. So, I WON'T take back the comment stating that this stuff hurts USAF/CAP relationships issues. I know for a fact this isn't reaching too far. It seems that some of you have forgotten how you used to have to wear the maroon ranks. This was due to USAF/CAP relationship issues and because USAF personnel wanted our uniform to be completely distinct from theirs since they didn't feel we were wearing the uniform correctly.

I hear complaints all the time concerning CAP on base. Although some our appreciative of what the program is about because we mirror them there is a perception that we should have more respect of their customs and courtesies.

That being said, since CAP doesn't prohibit then good for you for participating in front of your school and hope you did a great job.

Other than that, just because it isn't prohibited doesn't mean its a best practice or the right way.

arajca

A couple of points:

1. A large reason for the "No cadet officers" rule on NCGC teams is to force turnover on the teams. Cadets following the two achievements per year rule will progress out of competitive eligibility after a couple of years.

2. Locally, a unit may have problems with enough enlisted cadets being interested or available for local color guard duty. Hence, cadet officers are not prohibited from non-NCGC color guards. The AF does not have this problem, since their personnel can be assigned to color guard duty, thereby ensuring there are sufficient airmen and ncos available for color guards as needed.

3. In the AF, enlisted and officer are two separate career tracks, with negligible cross pollution. In CAP, cadet airmen, ncos, and officers are all part of one "career" track.

4. The complaints I've heard about CAP are from those who don't know anything about it and refuse to listen to someone trying to explain what CAP is.

Disclosure: WIWAD, the best officer I served under was an Infantry E5 who jumped ship to become a Field Artillary O-1.