Encampment Flight MASCOTS?

Started by jfkspotting, May 26, 2018, 03:31:00 AM

jfkspotting

Do any of your wing encampments require one? Can anyone offer suggestions?
I am Alpha Flight Sergeant

arajca

Does YOUR wing encampment require one? 

hamburgee

My recommendation: Alpha Alpacas, get a two-person Alpaca suit for them to march around in (just kidding).

etodd

Here is one Squadron with a new version of Wiley Coyote. Who better to go with rocketry?  ;D

https://vimeo.com/user3212001
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

PA Guy

Just my opinion but I think it is a silly practice and to require one is sillier.

Spam

OK, Spotting, here's a suggestion with constructive intent:

For each Squadron in your encampment, pick and assign a Heritage Unit from the actual US Air Force, to honor them; make that unit the spiritual sponsor of the flights in that cadet Squadron.

For example, Squadron 1 (Alfa, Bravo, Charlie and Delta Flights) could honor the 15th Special Ops Squadron (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/15th_Special_Operations_Squadron and learn, live, and love them for the week. Currently flying the MC-130 Combat Talon II.

Squadron 2 (Echo - Hotel Flights) could honor the 27th FS (oldest in the USAF) (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/27th_Fighter_Squadron) now flying the F-22.

Squadron 3 (India - x Flights) could honor the 110th Bomb Squadron (90 years of service - established in WW1) (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/110th_Bomb_Squadron now flying the B-2.

Do this, rather than pick some meaningless animal or cartoon "mascot", and spend just a bit of time up front researching the (easily available) history of that unit, to then have your cadets learn and honor during the week. Tennessee Wing did this, with great results, and I think its the best fresh idea I've seen for encampments in 30 years. (Hat tip: my old F-22 test team mate, Dumpster). Make that bond REAL, with our real Air Force customer, and not with an anime or sports or cartoon character (which, to agree with PA Guy, would be silly).

R/s
Spam

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: PA Guy on May 27, 2018, 02:53:10 AM
Just my opinion but I think it is a silly practice and to require one is sillier.

I have never seen anything useful or beneficial come from the practice. But I have seen a lot of cringe-worthy embarrassment come from it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

I like Spam's suggestion, but how about having the squadrons use CAP heritage and history.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

kwe1009

I have seen some Wing have a theme aircraft and then each flight chooses a name based on that aircraft. 

vesryn

So I'm the Cadet Commander for the NYWG Encampment. While I'm really impressed that the Flight Staff are taking the initiative to come up with flight name/motto/guidon designs, the C/DCC and Squadron Commanders haven't come up with their guidelines on how they want to structure the flight themes.

However, I do like Spam's ideas for honoring certain AF units. I'll have a discussion with my staff about this.
Eaker #3363
NYWG Encampment Cadet Commander 2018
NYWG Encampment '13, '14, '15, '18, '19

Eclipse

"Themes"?

Are A-(x) too simple and easy to remember?

"That Others May Zoom"

vesryn

Quote from: Eclipse on May 29, 2018, 07:46:14 PM
"Themes"?

That's not the point. The point is to have a name, an identity, that the cadets can identify and build a camaraderie out of. Also, it's fun to have a certain mascot and chant or whatever. Aren't encampments supposed to have fun involved?
Eaker #3363

Luis R. Ramos

How can dressing up as a mascot be fun? As others have posted, it is silly. This is NOT Halloween, it is an ENCAMPMENT!
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

vesryn

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on May 29, 2018, 08:28:37 PM
How can dressing up as a mascot be fun? As others have posted, it is silly. This is NOT Halloween, it is an ENCAMPMENT!

I'm not sure where you're getting "people are dressing up as mascots" from. No one is dressing up as anything. When we use the term "mascot," we're talking about an image or idea, not an actual person dressed up in some sort of costume.

For example, let's make up the "Bravo Bombers". The guidon has a drawing or picture of a B-52, and the motto can be something generic like "All In, All the Time".

It's simple. It's fun. It builds the flight's character. It's not going to unnecessary lengths like dressing someone up in a ridiculous costume.
Eaker #3363

TheSkyHornet

At the Flight Sergeant level, this is well beyond your area of operational authority. This is something that will be determined by the Cadet Commander and top-tier staff, maybe Squadron Commanders. If you're going to be asked to come up with a flight "nickname" and mascot, talk with your Flight Commander about that. But this won't be something a Flight Sergeant can just do on his own; unless we're getting this wrong and this was tasked down to you already.

At the last Encampment I was at, I saw flight mascots that were animals: rattlesnakes, badgers, scorpions, etc. I don't remember all of them, nor did I pay much attention. It was an internal flight thing that was never brought up outside of the flight, even though each of the six flights had their own (they drew the mascot on a piece of paper and hung it up in their respective cadet lounges). So if the mascots aren't going to be discussed ever again outside of the flight, why even have one?

On that note, I'd prefer to see the flights come up with their own mascots, and not be dictated as to what their mascots are. It should be something that has value to the flight and suggests that flight's motivation and vision for Encampment.

Luis R. Ramos

Did you see the Vimeo link posted here? There were several people dressed as mascots in I presume are CAP Encampments.

Now I grant if you think about including themes, this is different and a grand idea.

Squadron Safety Officer

Eclipse

The ones with "several people" aren't "encampments".

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

Well, seeing as it came after a suggestion of getting an Alpaca suit for two I ended up misunderstanding it. And really believed that at some Encampments there were some members donning mascot suits.

:-\
Squadron Safety Officer

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Trenzalorian on May 29, 2018, 08:21:35 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 29, 2018, 07:46:14 PM
"Themes"?

That's not the point. The point is to have a name, an identity, that the cadets can identify and build a camaraderie out of. Also, it's fun to have a certain mascot and chant or whatever. Aren't encampments supposed to have fun involved?

I've seen plenty of cadets "...identify and build [a] camaraderie out of..." simply being "Delta Flight" with nothing more than a big "D" on their guidon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.