Main Menu

Marksmanship Risk Management Plan

Started by Airborne Medic, April 28, 2012, 05:35:20 PM

Airborne Medic

I was wondering if anyone had a pre-made safety plan and ORM worksheet for air gun marksmanship training that I could get a copy of?  We're going to start incorperating air rifle marksmanship into our monthly meetings and the wing safety officer wants this documentation so I can get it approved.

Thanks

Pylon

If there's not anything ready-made, you could start with the standard rules for weapon and range safety.

e.g.: Weapon Safety
1. Treat every weapon as if it were loaded.
2. Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot.
3. Keep finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to fire.
4. Keep weapon on safe until you intend to fire.

That pretty much covers 95% of weapon safety. If your personnel follow all four rules, chances are nobody will get hurt (save for mishaps like weapons malfunctions).

Also see: Range Safety Pocket Guide for material you can readily use.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

Wouldn't the outside party or organization authorized to provide that training also bring with them the ORM and safety procedures as well?

"That Others May Zoom"

Dad2-4

Quote from: Eclipse on April 28, 2012, 09:59:46 PM
Wouldn't the outside party or organization authorized to provide that training also bring with them the ORM and safety procedures as well?
Unless the authorized instructor is a CAP member. For example, I'm an NRA Certified Instructor and can therefore conduct marksmanship training in a CAP meeting if the Wing Commander authorizes it, but I don't have a CAP compatible premade safety plan and ORM worksheet. I would also have to find them from another source or write them myself.
Hopefully someone on CT can help out with a pre-made or previously written ORM and safety plan.

lordmonar

Where does it say it has to be an outside party?

My squadron is gearing up to get several SMs NRA instructor certified and RSO certified.

To the OP.......I would go to who ever your RSO and get his/her certifieing agencies safety rules. 

If for instance your RSO is NRA certified.....then you safety plan is going to be like this.

Our RSO is SM Sam Colt who is certifed by the NRA as a Range Safety Officer.   All training and ranger operations will be held at range behind the squadron bulding and will conducted in accordance with NRA standards.

You could maybe provide a copy of the standards or a link to them in the plan.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Airborne Medic

Gentlemen,

I'm already a JROTC marksmanship instructor and and NRA instructor.  I know the rules and policies, I was just wanting to save myself a little typing if some already had one created.

Major Lord

Quote from: lordmonar on April 28, 2012, 11:52:15 PM

My squadron is gearing up to get several SMs NRA instructor certified and RSO certified.

To the OP.......I would go to who ever your RSO and get his/her certifieing agencies safety rules. 

If for instance your RSO is NRA certified.....then you safety plan is going to be like this.

Our RSO is SM Sam Colt who is certifed by the NRA as a Range Safety Officer.   All training and ranger operations will be held at range behind the squadron bulding and will conducted in accordance with NRA standards.

You could maybe provide a copy of the standards or a link to them in the plan.

Sam Colt? Really? I sure hope that he is a Colonel!

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on April 28, 2012, 11:52:15 PM

In which case they will not be acting as CAP members while providing the training.  Do I actually have to quote the reg here?

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Airborne Medic on April 29, 2012, 12:25:17 AMI'm already a JROTC marksmanship instructor and and NRA instructor.  I know the rules and policies, I was just wanting to save myself a little typing if some already had one created.

Neither JROTC, not the NRA has what you need as part of their curriculum?

"That Others May Zoom"

mrcadet

wow i wish we could do air rifle training at my squadron but our dcc would have a fit (and our squadron is on an airport)  ;D