Expansion of gocivilairpatrol.com

Started by jimmydeanno, October 01, 2008, 03:25:26 AM

FlexCoder

Most anything is possible with the right, openminded attitude.  Closed minded attitudes is why many units in any organization are stagnated and never amount to much.   If the great innovators and inventors went with society's norms & listened to all the naysayers, we would still be in the dark ages.   Who will come, Eclipse, 'little green men'!  You obviously are not a good delegater if you cannot get your unit cadets to update a simple calendar.  Leadership school, such as National Staff College would be a great place for you to learn how to delegate properly.    Luck, why would I need luck when the technology and people are already available!

Eclipse

At this point your replies are indicating that you aren't actually reading other people's responses, and despite your "24 years of CAP experience" you don't understand the problem.

Build it and show us.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Quote from: Eclipse on October 30, 2008, 05:52:40 PM
You're talking about server access for hundreds of units, other echelons, special activities and similar.

Thousands of accounts, access rights, trouble shooting bad code, and probably policing content.

This is not something that could be rolled out or supported on a part-time basis.
Coast Guard Auxiliary does it....Any CG Aux unit can request space on the CG Aux server for a web page for their unit.  No mandated template though I have heard rumblings that it might happen.  Works pretty well. 

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on October 30, 2008, 10:13:11 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 30, 2008, 05:52:40 PM
You're talking about server access for hundreds of units, other echelons, special activities and similar.

Thousands of accounts, access rights, trouble shooting bad code, and probably policing content.

This is not something that could be rolled out or supported on a part-time basis.
Coast Guard Auxiliary does it....Any CG Aux unit can request space on the CG Aux server for a web page for their unit.  No mandated template though I have heard rumblings that it might happen.  Works pretty well. 

CAP does it now - you can get limited amounts of space on CAP's servers with a .gov domain - there are only a limited number of units doing it today - we're talking about a considerably higher scale.

You guys also need to pick what you want - Flexcoder is decrying template sites, Joomla, and generic code, while at the same time suggesting we could easily do "template sites and generic code".

Putting up a simple contact page for each unit could be done with a script in an hour, building a national "community" is a somewhat different situation.

This site, which is the nearest thing to a community CAP has today, "only" has about 1800 registered users, and many aren't CAP members.  I'm constantly amazed how few people actually know it even exists.

"That Others May Zoom"

FlexCoder

The only problem is YOU, Eclipse...Very ignorant & closed minded.   Bad traits for a leader.   Besides, it takes a coordinated Team effort with National support & control.  Why waste time building it when you said nobody would want it or even care about it in CAP.    Amazing, you bashed people for spending to much time on MP & FB and you have 3,768 posts on CAPTalk.  Your just as guilty... drama queen!

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

FlexCoder

What is generic code, Eclipse?  Never head that terminology before...please elaborate. 

Joomla is a free open source CMS system that has a lot of flaws and security issues.  There are other CMS systems that are better and many aren't free (a donation or discount is possible though).    If you desire a template system, Eclipse, Yahoo Site Builder is up your alley but it consumes a lot of bandwidth.   

"You guys also need to pick what you want - Flexcoder is decrying template sites, Joomla, and generic code, while at the same time suggesting we could easily do "template sites and generic code", stated by Eclipse.    Who are "You guys"?  Your basically telling CAP members to go out & select what they want without letting their Wing  IT know first.  That's like a Ground Team Leader telling his GTM's to go on  private property without the owner's consent.    Loose lips...sink ships!  Loose organizations....lose members!

Eclipse

BTW - you have yet to actually show us a single site you've coded yourself.

It might also be nice if you kept your remarks applicable to the discussion.

You might want to wait until you are through your first week here before you start insulting people personally.

This isn't a Halo server.

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

Knock off the personal attacks, or the thread dies.
Mike Johnston

FlexCoder

Insults, that is all I have gotten from you.  All of my remarks are applicable to the current posts.  Can't you read and comprehend!   So, you prefer a passive response and everyone agreeing to your warped sense of reality instead.     

And you prefer physical activities rather than online activity, virtual worlds don't count, Eclipse, a video gamer (a "Halo" server).   What a guy!  From the majority of the remarks on this post, it seems like most do not care one way or the other about CAP websites. 

Eclipse

I can hear Mike coming down the hall...

Simply making things up to prove your point isn't going to get you very far here.

Your home page link goes back to a "professional" gaming league, thus the reference to a Halo server,
presumably, since its your homepage, you spend a fair amount of time there or endorse its use.

I didn't initiate a single personal comment.

You accused me of being a poor leader, inexperienced, ignorant, closed minded, and a drama queen.
And in all the bravado about your extensive CAP and online experience, you havent' shown us a single site you've actually created.

I'm done here, hopefully you are too.

"That Others May Zoom"