Main Menu

Movies that Mention CAP?

Started by Major Carrales, October 21, 2007, 04:31:29 AM

dogboy

Quote from: Cecil DP on October 21, 2007, 07:18:40 PM
Quote from: Major Lord on October 21, 2007, 07:07:34 PM
"According Oliver Stone's film JFK, David Ferrie and other members of the alleged conspiracy to assassinate President John F. Kennedy were members of the Civil Air Patrol, and had supposedly given Cuban exiles military training for the Bay of Pigs invasion."

Run for it boys! Their on to us!

And then Cuban intelligence retaliated against CAP by sending in a deep cover operative to take over our organization and ....hey wait a minute.......

Major Lord

Don't forget that Lee Harvey Oswald was a member of Texas Wing.

He was in a squadron in New Orleans. New Orleans is in Louisiana not Texas.

MSG Mac

Quote from: dogboy on November 18, 2010, 06:21:32 PM
Quote from: Cecil DP on October 21, 2007, 07:18:40 PM
Quote from: Major Lord on October 21, 2007, 07:07:34 PM
"According Oliver Stone's film JFK, David Ferrie and other members of the alleged conspiracy to assassinate President John F. Kennedy were members of the Civil Air Patrol, and had supposedly given Cuban exiles military training for the Bay of Pigs invasion."

Run for it boys! Their on to us!

And then Cuban intelligence retaliated against CAP by sending in a deep cover operative to take over our organization and ....hey wait a minute.......

Major Lord

Don't forget that Lee Harvey Oswald was a member of Texas Wing.

He was in a squadron in New Orleans. New Orleans is in Louisiana not Texas.

Lee Harvey was a member of Texas Wing as a cadet prior to joining the Marine Corps. In addition the Texas Book depository was owned by Col, Later BG, Bird, CAP's Chairman of the Board at the time.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Smoothice

In the movie "Project-X" with Matthew Broderick and the monkeys, his AF commander says "I am removing you from your duty as the leiason with Civil Air Patrol"  after he takes a girl flying in an O2

tsrup

Literally while reading this thread, I just saw a flash of a Civil Air Patrol cadet while watching "Gangland" on Spike.

No specific mention, the cadet was just in the background handing out flyers at a veteran's event that the Motorcycle Gang was attending.
Paramedic
hang-around.

ColonelJack

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on November 18, 2010, 03:55:19 AM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on November 18, 2010, 03:18:31 AM
Once in a great while Hollywood does something that shows that some of the people out on the Left Coast may have an IQ above room temperature.  Like in Starship Troopers, the troop-carrying spaceship was named the "Rodger Young."  Rodger Young was a Medal of Honor recipient in the 37th Infantry Division in World War II.
Or they just took it verbatim from the text of Mr. Heinlein's 1959 masterpiece (of which the movie made a mockery, but, alas, that is a topic for another thread).

I always believed the credits should've read, "Based very, very, VERY, VERY loosely on the novel by Robert A. Heinlein."

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

SarDragon

Only four verys? A stretch, IMHO. Needs a few more.  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: dogboy on November 18, 2010, 06:13:48 PM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on October 21, 2007, 03:53:25 PM
"Red Dawn" was originally supposed to be about a CAP squadron, but NHQ refused to give permission for the name and logo to be used.  So they made it about the football team instead.

"Iron Eagle" was also supposed to be about a CAP squadron on an AF base, but NHQ again refused to let the name and logos be used, so the producers made it a private dependent flying club made up of teenagers on base.

I've heard these stories a hundred times and never seen a shred of documentation for them. They are highly unlikely. They always seem to come from people who know nothing about the law and less about filmmaking.

First, filmmakers don't have to obtain the permission  of CAP NHQ to use the name and logo. It's called "fair use". Do you think they got Army permission to make "Platoon?

If the script were openly defamatory about CAP, such as claiming that adult CAP leaders of Cadets are pedophiles, then there might be some legal ground for objecting. But just identifying protagonists as CAP Cadets? That would be perfectly ok and it wouldn't matter at all if NHQ objected.

It is true that filmmakers often seek out help from armed forces and offer script approval but that's because they need logistical support not because of any requirement for permission.

Second, it's even more unlikely that CAP was ever in the story because the general public knows nothing about CAP. Therefore there would have to be a whole pointless back-story explaining what CAP is. That CAP is not really part of the military, that children participate as Cadets etc. None of this would advance the script. No script with this useless material would ever be approved.

Red Dawn used a football team because everyone knows what a high school football team is. Eagle Scouts are mentioned as a supposedly "elite paramilitary organization" because most people have at least a vague idea what an Eagle Scout is. Nobody knows what the CAP is and therefore it wouldn't appear in a film.

I was relating a story told to me by a guy who worked in the office which approved DoD support for such fiulms.  I guess all us G.I. types are just stupid, eh?
Another former CAP officer

RNOfficer

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on November 19, 2010, 03:32:22 AMI was relating a story told to me by a guy who worked in the office which approved DoD support for such fiulms.  I guess all us G.I. types are just stupid, eh?

Your story is not plausible, particularly since the DoD has no role in approving the use of the CAP name and logo, even in fiulms. That is purely a corporate matter.

What was the name of the Lt Col DoD PAO that you supposedly discussed this with?  Or were you also discussing atomic secrets so his name is classified?

dogboy

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on November 17, 2010, 09:45:45 PMDoD support was also withheld for "Heartbreak Ridge" because the producers refused to redact the scene where Gunny Highway shoots the wounded Cubans.

This is completely incorrect. The Army refused cooperation because they didn't like Eastwood's character. The producers turned to the Marine Corps , who agree to supply support for the project.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heartbreak_Ridge

dogboy

Quote from: MSG Mac on November 18, 2010, 07:40:56 PMLee Harvey was a member of Texas Wing as a cadet prior to joining the Marine Corps.

Evidence for this? LHO's life has been intensely studies so it shouldn't be hard to find if actually true.

FlyTiger77

Quote from: ColonelJack on November 18, 2010, 11:35:39 PM
Quote from: FlyTiger77 on November 18, 2010, 03:55:19 AM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on November 18, 2010, 03:18:31 AM
Once in a great while Hollywood does something that shows that some of the people out on the Left Coast may have an IQ above room temperature.  Like in Starship Troopers, the troop-carrying spaceship was named the "Rodger Young."  Rodger Young was a Medal of Honor recipient in the 37th Infantry Division in World War II.
Or they just took it verbatim from the text of Mr. Heinlein's 1959 masterpiece (of which the movie made a mockery, but, alas, that is a topic for another thread).

I always believed the credits should've read, "Based very, very, VERY, VERY loosely on the novel by Robert A. Heinlein."

Jack

True. I give the book to new Army lieutenants that work for me. The movie used the book's title and little else of what Mr. Heinlein was really trying to get across.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

AirAux

Nilsog

Not a movie, but CAP is mentioned in the Max Brooks book World War Z. It has a section where he interviews a pilot of 'Combat Dirigible' which makes up the core of "America's Civil Air Patrol"

I guess Zombies were enough to get non-combat taken out of the charter.
Kenneth Goslin
1st Lt., CAP

spacecommand

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/oswald/glimpse/ferrie.html

QuoteFRONTLINE obtained this photograph from John B. Ciravolo, Jr., of New Orleans. Ciravolo was also a C.A.P. member in 1955 and says he was in the same unit with Oswald and was standing right in front of him in the photo. Ciravolo identified David Ferrie, while former C.A.P. cadet Tony Atzenhoffer, also of New Orleans, identified Oswald and Ferrie in the photograph, and Colin Hammer, who says he served with both men in the C.A.P., also identified both in the photograph.

From my research Oswald was a member of Louisiana Wing not Texas Wing.

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: RNOfficer on November 19, 2010, 03:46:29 AM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on November 19, 2010, 03:32:22 AMI was relating a story told to me by a guy who worked in the office which approved DoD support for such fiulms.  I guess all us G.I. types are just stupid, eh?

Your story is not plausible, particularly since the DoD has no role in approving the use of the CAP name and logo, even in fiulms. That is purely a corporate matter.

What was the name of the Lt Col DoD PAO that you supposedly discussed this with?  Or were you also discussing atomic secrets so his name is classified?

Oh, for God's sake.  This was a conversation over cocktails back in the mid-1990's.  I don't remember his name.

I'm dropping this conversation.  You're getting psychotic about this.

Kack
Another former CAP officer

RNOfficer

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on November 20, 2010, 12:04:13 AM
Quote from: RNOfficer on November 19, 2010, 03:46:29 AM

Oh, for God's sake.  This was a conversation over cocktails back in the mid-1990's.  I don't remember his name.

I'm dropping this conversation.  You're getting psychotic about this.

Kack

I guess all us G.I. types are just stupid