Main Menu

Movies that Mention CAP?

Started by Major Carrales, October 21, 2007, 04:31:29 AM

mikeylikey

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on October 21, 2007, 06:31:35 PM
Quote from: Cecil DP on October 21, 2007, 05:46:34 AM
CAP had a major part in one of the Dynasty episodes, when one of the Colbys plane crashed in the Rockies.

Was that when Fallon Carrington's or Monica Colby's plane crashed?  Because I watched all of the episodes involving Fallon's and they dont even show the search.  It goes from Fallon being deported at the very end of one episode, to body ID at the beginning of the next.  No mention of CAP.  If its during Monica's crash, I might have a hard time finding that.

Dude......it's Dynasty.  Are you a Dallas watcher as well??
What's up monkeys?

Cecil DP

Quote from: mikeylikey on October 22, 2007, 01:19:23 AM
CAP had a major part in one of the Dynasty episodes, when one of the Colbys plane crashed in the Rockies.

Was that when Fallon Carrington's or Monica Colby's plane crashed?  Because I watched all of the episodes involving Fallon's and they dont even show the search.  It goes from Fallon being deported at the very end of one episode, to body ID at the beginning of the next.  No mention of CAP.  If its during Monica's crash, I might have a hard time finding that.

No, just remembered the excitement when they shot the show. Frankly don't care for any of the soaps.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: mikeylikey on October 22, 2007, 01:19:23 AM

No....God No....I'd never even heard of dynasty till this thread.  I've just been trying to find the episode to see it.

NIN

I swear there was some kind of an "After School Special" show in the early 1980s that featured Erik Estrada as an observer in a CA Wing T-34....

But then, he might just have been doing the whole "CA Wing flies CHiPs around" thing.. :)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

w7sar

The movie "solo" was about a crash survivor.  The plane crashed on the Utah-Colorado border and the pilot (on a solo flight) survived for a week or so.  I was one of the coordinators for the search (we had many as the search went on for over a week).  Two CAP members died on that search.  There is also a book "Solo" written by the survivor.  Movie and book were never a big hit, but CAP is mentioned in the book and in the movie.  I want to say this was in the late 1980s, but I cannot remember specifics.  I do have the book and video, however -- and I recall the profound loss we felt when we learned of the loss of two of our members.
Jerry Wellman, Col., CAP
NHQ CAP Assistant Senior Program Manager
Command & Control Communications
jwellman@cap.gov
(C) 801.541.3741
U.S. Air Force Auxiliary

sardak

There was a 1978 made for TV movie called "And I Alone Survived," based on book by the same name by Lauren Elder.  It told her story of being the lone survivor of a plane crash in the Sierras in California, after the other initial survivor died in her arms.  With a broken arm and other injuries she made her way down from the crash site at 12,000+ feet to the Owens Valley.

CAP was involved in the search and I believe had some involvement with the movie.

Mike

James Shaw

Lassies Great Adventure October 1962 1 HR 37M
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Major Carrales on October 21, 2007, 07:21:19 PM
Quote from: Cecil DP on October 21, 2007, 07:18:40 PM
Quote from: Major Lord on October 21, 2007, 07:07:34 PM
"According Oliver Stone's film JFK, David Ferrie and other members of the alleged conspiracy to assassinate President John F. Kennedy were members of the Civil Air Patrol, and had supposedly given Cuban exiles military training for the Bay of Pigs invasion."

Run for it boys! Their on to us!

And then Cuban intelligence retaliated against CAP by sending in a deep cover operative to take over our organization and ....hey wait a minute.......

Major Lord

Don't forget that Lee Harvey Oswald was a member of Texas Wing.

Col (General) Byrd...first Texas Wing Commander, owned the Texas School Book Depository.

Wow... I didn't know that. 

Pineda was seen on the Grassy Knoll, however.  That was proven with surveilance tapes found in the UFO crash in Rockwell.
Another former CAP officer

Major Lord

"That was proven with surveilance tapes found in the UFO crash in Rockwell."

Hah! you have given yourself away! Aliens don't use videotape!

I don't think the commies really wanted to kill Kennedy. ( He was more or less , one of them anyway) And Kennedy did not want to Kill Castro ( we have ways of doing that , I have been lead to believe) I think CIA has a good motive for wacking Kennedy after he betrayed our country, betrayed the Cuban people, and let down the Special Forces community in a big way by withdrawing support during Bahia Cochinas. ( and fornicating with mobster's girlfriends is not a prudent thing to do  either)

Do you know why Arnold Schwarzenneger married Maria Shriver? They are trying to breed a bullet-proof kennedy!  She should have married Chuck Norris.....

Major Lord

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

alamrcn

"Go" (1999) starring Katie Holmes and Jay Mohr...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0139239/

In the very end of the movie (with about 2 min left), there is a scene set in a grocery store where some earlier parts movie take place, and one of the primary characters works. In the background you can clearly see the back of a customer wearing the white CAP DDR shirt! Funny what slips into the extras' wordrobe rack.

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: alamrcn on October 22, 2007, 06:23:01 PM

In the very end of the movie (with about 2 min left), there is a scene set in a grocery store where some earlier parts movie take place, and one of the primary characters works. In the background you can clearly see the back of a customer wearing the white CAP DDR shirt! Funny what slips into the extras' wordrobe rack.

-Ace

You actually watched a Katie Holmes movie?  All the way to the end?  Ewwwww!

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Major Lord on October 22, 2007, 05:44:11 PM
"That was proven with surveilance tapes found in the UFO crash in Rockwell."

Hah! you have given yourself away! Aliens don't use videotape!

I don't think the commies really wanted to kill Kennedy. ( He was more or less , one of them anyway) And Kennedy did not want to Kill Castro ( we have ways of doing that , I have been lead to believe) I think CIA has a good motive for wacking Kennedy after he betrayed our country, betrayed the Cuban people, and let down the Special Forces community in a big way by withdrawing support during Bahia Cochinas. ( and fornicating with mobster's girlfriends is not a prudent thing to do  either)

Do you know why Arnold Schwarzenneger married Maria Shriver? They are trying to breed a bullet-proof kennedy!  She should have married Chuck Norris.....

Major Lord

What are the chances of a Kennedy male dying of natural causes?

Nobody knows... it hasn't happened yet.

JohnKachenmeister

I almost forgot!

There was a show on The History Channel back in the 1990's called "Untold Stories of World War II."  The show opened with the CAP insignia spinning around like a propeller, but to my knowledge, they NEVER did a story about CAP in World War II.

So, I guess we are still "Untold."

Ford73Diesel

I remember seeing 2 kids in CAP BDU's on some disney show a few years ago. They were flying a plane. Wish I would have seen the whole thing or at least remember the name of the show.

w7sar

Additional information on the movie Solo.

I dug through my old VCR collection and found the movie.  It wasn't very well done.  It was produced by Lyman Dayton and based on the book "solo" written by Patricia O'Brien King.  I didn't want to watch the movie to see the credits, so I don't know when it was made.  It was locally distributed and flopped in theaters.   

The book was written in 1983 and dedicated to SAR volunteers.  It recounts the events from mission AFRCC 7-840.   It mentioned Kay Ahlstrom and Harold Steab, both CAP members killed in a crash on the mission.   Many of the photos in the book were taken by a good friend of mine.  The search generated a fair amount of attention -- especially when the pilot was found, barely alive, but alive.

The mission was in June 1981 when Sherleen Jaussi left Price, Utah on a solo flight (round trip from Price to Grand Junction, Colo., to Price).  She survived five days, severely injured in the crash.  She was flying a Piper Tomahawk and it is amazing that she survived the crash, and then survived  five days to be rescued. 

It was one of many finds/saves that I've been involved with in my 36 years with CAP.  Thanks for the topic!  It has reminded me why we do what we do.

It also reminds me of the risks we take to serve others.  Kay and Harold were outstanding CAP members, always willing to respond when needed.  Blue skies fellows!

Jerry W.
Utah Wing

Jerry Wellman, Col., CAP
jwellman@cap.gov
(C) 801.541.3741
U.S. Air Force Auxiliary

w7sar

I also ran across a book "The Sacrament, a true story of survival" written by Peter Gzowski in 1980.  It details the crash of a flight from Canada to Boise, Idaho. 

Two people survived the crash in May 1979.  They were not found by an extensive air search (CAP mentioned throughout the book).  The pair walked out of Idaho mountains two weeks after the crash.

The crash was May 5, 1979 -- a Cessna 172 with four aboard.  Two died of injuries within the first day or two  after the crash.  Two walked out 14 days after the crash.  The book was very well written and makes an interesting read.  The author spent a lot of time interviewing those involved and tells their story with great understanding.

It's off-topic, because no movie was ever made, but it is a contemporary work and non-fiction.  Many books were written in the early years of CAP, a lot of them fiction.   Not too many recent books that I can recall detail CAP in the present.  Even though this book is from 1979, in the book/history world, it is rather current.

Jerry W.
Utah Wing
Jerry Wellman, Col., CAP
jwellman@cap.gov
(C) 801.541.3741
U.S. Air Force Auxiliary

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: alamrcn on October 22, 2007, 06:23:01 PM

-Ace

alamrcn

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on October 23, 2007, 07:31:00 PM
Super cool frame capture from Go

You are a ROCKSTAR!  -heh-  Got any more tricks?

Funny that the movie is mostly about drugs, and I never even saw the irony till now!

-Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

sardak

Interesting illusion.  If you look at that picture long enough,  someone in a CAP DDR t-shirt appears in the background. :)

Mike

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: alamrcn on October 23, 2007, 09:12:02 PM
Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on October 23, 2007, 07:31:00 PM
Super cool frame capture from Go

You are a ROCKSTAR!  -heh-  Got any more tricks?

I'll see what I can pull out of my magic hat  ;)