Main Menu

Movies that Mention CAP?

Started by Major Carrales, October 21, 2007, 04:31:29 AM

Major Carrales

I was watching some of the "Doom and Gloom" shows on the Histoy Channel this morning while I was working on my weekly newsletter.  I was pulled from that work, if only for a second, by the mention of the CAP in Hawaii.

This got me thinking...I rememeber doing the same thing when watching a Matthew Broderick movie called "Project X" where he was a USAF airman radiating chimps for some US government project.

Anyone else know of any movies that mention CAP?
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

♠SARKID♠

I know in one of the Splinter Cell video games, an entire mission takes place at an "Abandoned CAP base".  Havent played the game, but I know its there.

Cecil DP

CAP had a major part in one of the Dynasty episodes, when one of the Colbys plane crashed in the Rockies.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

♠SARKID♠

pulled this off of wikipedia

* In the movie Red Zone Cuba, which was spoofed by Mystery Science Theater 3000, one of the scenes featured a large radio van in the background with Civil Air Patrol markings on it.

* One of the ABC's Weekend Specials in 1981 was an adaptation of the book Mayday! Mayday! by Hilary Martin wherein the Civil Air Patrol was used to locate passengers of a private airplane crash.

* According Oliver Stone's film JFK, David Ferrie and other members of the alleged conspiracy to assassinate President John F. Kennedy were members of the Civil Air Patrol, and had supposedly given Cuban exiles military training for the Bay of Pigs invasion.

it also had the Dynasty reference

John Bryan

Around 1988 or so when I first joined CAP I remember a movie on the Disney Channel called "Solo". It was about a women's first solo gone bad. She crashed and there was a major CAP search.

I have never been able to find it on video or on TV since.

JohnKachenmeister

"Red Dawn" was originally supposed to be about a CAP squadron, but NHQ refused to give permission for the name and logo to be used.  So they made it about the football team instead.

"Iron Eagle" was also supposed to be about a CAP squadron on an AF base, but NHQ again refused to let the name and logos be used, so the producers made it a private dependent flying club made up of teenagers on base.

I can understand the Iron Eagle denial.  The main character violates AF regulations by listening to rock music while engaging in unauthorized flight of an F-16, flies an airplane in a reckless manner racing a motorcycle, and working with members of his squadron, steals 2 F-16's, arranges two mid-air refuelings, attacks a third world dictatorship, rescuses an American hostage, and gets sent to the Air Force Academy for his trouble.

We do NOT want to give those puppies any ideas!
Another former CAP officer

ZigZag911

In the late '80s there was a TV series called "Our House", starred Wilford Brimley (the Quaker Oats guy!), probably his first big break...he was around 50, looked 70....anyway, Shannen Doherty (later '90210' & 'Charmed' star) played his teenage granddaughter who was taking flying lessons....her plane went down (I believe it was a dual X-country, may have been solo) and CAP came to the rescue!

Major Carrales

Quote from: ZigZag911 on October 21, 2007, 05:23:12 PM
In the late '80s there was a TV series called "Our House", starred Wilford Brimley (the Quaker Oats guy!), probably his first big break...he was around 50, looked 70....anyway, Shannen Doherty (later '90210' & 'Charmed' star) played his teenage granddaughter who was taking flying lessons....her plane went down (I believe it was a dual X-country, may have been solo) and CAP came to the rescue!

I remember that series.  But I don't rememeber that episode.  I do rememeber one with an earthquake where she took some sort of unauthroized flight (as in her parents had disapproved) and did not know anything about the major earthquake because she had been flying.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Johnny Yuma

I remember the episode. Wilford took Doherty to Edwards AFB on a tour, she took a ride in a CAP plane I believe and crashed with a guy on base!

It also involved a reunion with an estranged uncle of Doherty's character, Brimley's character's son.

I was a cadet at the time and the unit got a big laugh out of the episode.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

JohnKachenmeister

I can't remember the song nor the artist, but there was a music video that featured an old WWII bomber pilot who was seen in the video wearing a CAP uniform.  It goes back to the time when we wore "CAP" on the collars, and I can't remember what was on the epaulet. 

The video showed the old guy taking off his jacket, then sitting in a rocking chair recalling the events of his life.

No pickups, hot girls dancing, or beer.  No wonder I can't remember it.
Another former CAP officer

mikeylikey

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on October 21, 2007, 05:53:31 PM
No pickups, hot girls dancing, or beer.  No wonder I can't remember it.

Ah......the good life!
What's up monkeys?

Major Carrales

There are two scenes of which I have sene on television but that I cannot confirm.

One was an Hispanic Heritiage documentary on PBS that, while mentioning that the Military provided opportunities to the Hispanic Community of South Texas it showed some artifacts on a table (including a Silver and Bronze Star) that included a blue CAP service cap with CAP insignia.

Also, I once saw an interview with "Flip" Wilson where...and this was only a fleeting picture...he had the service cap insignia on a baseball cap. 

Commander
SWR-TX-454

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: Cecil DP on October 21, 2007, 05:46:34 AM
CAP had a major part in one of the Dynasty episodes, when one of the Colbys plane crashed in the Rockies.

Was that when Fallon Carrington's or Monica Colby's plane crashed?  Because I watched all of the episodes involving Fallon's and they dont even show the search.  It goes from Fallon being deported at the very end of one episode, to body ID at the beginning of the next.  No mention of CAP.  If its during Monica's crash, I might have a hard time finding that.

Major Lord

"According Oliver Stone's film JFK, David Ferrie and other members of the alleged conspiracy to assassinate President John F. Kennedy were members of the Civil Air Patrol, and had supposedly given Cuban exiles military training for the Bay of Pigs invasion."

Run for it boys! Their on to us!

And then Cuban intelligence retaliated against CAP by sending in a deep cover operative to take over our organization and ....hey wait a minute.......

Major Lord

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Cecil DP

Quote from: Major Lord on October 21, 2007, 07:07:34 PM
"According Oliver Stone's film JFK, David Ferrie and other members of the alleged conspiracy to assassinate President John F. Kennedy were members of the Civil Air Patrol, and had supposedly given Cuban exiles military training for the Bay of Pigs invasion."

And then Cuban intelligence retaliated against CAP by sending in a deep cover operative to take over our organization and ....hey wait a minute.......

Major Lord

Don't forget that Lee Harvey Oswald was a member of Texas Wing.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Major Carrales

Quote from: Cecil DP on October 21, 2007, 07:18:40 PM

Major Lord

Col (General) Byrd...first Texas Wing Commander, owned the Texas School Book Depository.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Cecil DP

In the late 50's early 60's there was the "Bob Cummings Show" He played a photographer and his nephew (Dwayne Hickman, later played as Dobie Gillis) was a member of the Civil Air Patrol.

Two Academy Award winners were members of CAP. Mary Astor and Cliff Robertson. Jerry Lewis was also an official spokeman into the 60's. 
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Cecil DP

Quote from: Major Carrales on October 21, 2007, 07:21:19 PM
Quote from: Cecil DP on October 21, 2007, 07:18:40 PM

Major Lord

Col (General) Byrd...first Texas Wing Commander, owned the Texas School Book Depository.

So that's how Oswald got the job!!
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

CASH172

There's also that movie about the Texas Cadet Murder which now has the name Swearing Allegiance.  The movie's about two CAP cadets that kill another teenage girl after a love triangle.  Look at the Spaatz list and you'll see the rescinded number.  The guy in the movie plays the character of the rescinded Spaatz recipient.

SarDragon

They would be David Graham, and Diane Zamora. More here.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret