Which candidate is friendliest toward CAP?

Started by ELTHunter, May 28, 2007, 02:29:59 AM

Major Carrales

So, all the money I pump into CAP is PORK...eh?

McCain is off my list!!!
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

flyguy06

What was up with that tatement before the Civl Air Patrol statement about funding minority aviation training programs at Florida memorial? So, its ok to fund aviation training progrmas at Purdue and UND, but not Florida Memorial specifially because it is a minority institution? Wow.

ZigZag911

Flyguy, which candidate made this statement about Florida Memorial?  It's truly shocking.

stillamarine

Quote from: Major Carrales on June 03, 2007, 05:03:36 PM

McCain is off my list!!!

Especially seeing I don't eat Port!
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

RogueLeader

Quote from: stillamarine on June 03, 2007, 08:34:35 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on June 03, 2007, 05:03:36 PM

McCain is off my list!!!

Especially seeing I don't eat Port!
But I may drink it.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

stillamarine

I think I must have been drinking something!  >:D
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Major Carrales

Let's ask the Senator where he stands...

http://www.johnmccain.com/Contact/

I sent a message to his campaign, I'll post the results. 

Here is what I sent...

QuoteThere has been some question as to Senator McCain's stance on the Civil Air Patrol.

I have been a memeber of that organization for 9 years now and it is a large part of my life.

The answer I get to this issue will greatly impact my course of action en re Senator McCain.

It reflects how I feel, I will base my political actions based on the reply.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Mustang

McCain is off my list, but only because he's an idiot.  Sorry, but years spent as a POW are not a substitute for intelligence, and calling the pittance CAP receives from the federal budget "pork" is penny-wise but pound-foolish.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

RiverAux

Since McCain is actually becoming a front-runner... Maj. Carrales, did you ever get a response?

Major Carrales

Quote from: RiverAux on January 20, 2008, 11:57:07 PM
Since McCain is actually becoming a front-runner... Maj. Carrales, did you ever get a response?

No, I never got a response.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

JohnKachenmeister

I just sent another inquiry.  Maybe everyone should send one??
Another former CAP officer

JohnKachenmeister

How can it be "Pork" when we give a helluvalot more than we take?

We're sort of "Adkins Diet Pork?"
Another former CAP officer

bosshawk

Folks: the conversation about Duncan Hunter is now moot: he withdrew from the race.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

John Bryan

Not that I would agree we are "Pork" but to say the CAP could never be moved to another part of the government might be a close minded stand.

At the time the Senator talked about moving us to the DOT, the DOT was the home of one uniformed service/armed force...the US Coast Guard. The USCG and its AUX did not suffer as part of the DOT. CAP is larger then NOAA and the USPHS...why could we have not made it as a stand alone service (even a uniformed one) in the DOT? Interesting side note the USCG was moved from DOT to DHS after 9/11.....before they were part of DOT they were in the Dept of the Treasury. My point is they did not die off because of a change of location within the federal government.

Here is another thought....we do a lot of great things for the country like AE, Cdt Programs and ES (mostly related to aviation).....all with strong links to transportation / aviation. What do we offer the Air Force missions? Do we depend the air , space or cyberspace of our country....NO. Maybe CAP's missions fit better into that department of our federal government. We could keep our uniforms in DOT....just an idea

jeders

Quote from: John Bryan on January 21, 2008, 12:55:18 AM
Not that I would agree we are "Pork" but to say the CAP could never be moved to another part of the government might be a close minded stand.

At the time the Senator talked about moving us to the DOT, the DOT was the home of one uniformed service/armed force...the US Coast Guard. The USCG and its AUX did not suffer as part of the DOT. CAP is larger then NOAA and the USPHS...why could we have not made it as a stand alone service (even a uniformed one) in the DOT? Interesting side note the USCG was moved from DOT to DHS after 9/11.....before they were part of DOT they were in the Dept of the Treasury. My point is they did not die off because of a change of location within the federal government.

Here is another thought....we do a lot of great things for the country like AE, Cdt Programs and ES (mostly related to aviation).....all with strong links to transportation / aviation. What do we offer the Air Force missions? Do we depend the air , space or cyberspace of our country....NO. Maybe CAP's missions fit better into that department of our federal government. We could keep our uniforms in DOT....just an idea

At that time, I'm pretty sure that the Coast Gaurd was part of the Deapartment of Commerce, not transportation. Now it's under the Department of Homeland Security. Also, if we are completely removed from the Air Force, then we lose the cadet program and at least half of our reason for being. From there, it's just a downhill spiral.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

John Bryan

For the record I am not wanting to see us moved from the AF.....but I also think we should be able to listen to open minded ideas.....we might fit better in some other department.

Why could we not have all 3 missions in DOT......Like I said USCG and USCG Aux were in DOT at the time.....we could still have uniforms, drill ,etc....heck we could even have AF style uniforms....NOAA and PHS are not part of the Navy but wear naval uniforms. There is nothing that could prevent Congress from writing this into a law which would move us.

Just FYI NOAA is the uniformed service in the US Deapartment of Commerce.....USPHS is part of the Dept of Health and Human Services.

In 1790 the US Revenue Cutter Service was formed within the US Dept of the Treasury. The US Coast Guard picked up the US Life Saving Service in 1915. In 1939 it picked up the US Lighthouse Service and the Congress chartered the USCG Aux. In 1967from the US Dept of Treasury to the US DOT. It remained in DOT until 2003 when it was transfered to DHS.

PhoenixRisen

[Despite me not being able to vote...] McCain's off my friendly list...

And too bad Duncan Hunter just dropped out of the race last night... He would've been great!  (Not just because he's from San Diego...  ;D)

Whoever mentioned Hunter was in the CAP... do you have a source for that?  I'd love to see that!

Major Carrales

The thing is that CAP and USCGAux are volunteer service organizations that, as has been said, provide much more than the meager funding that the Federal Government provides.

Local units expend lots of personal resources and stretch dollars far beyond the point of many other government agencies.

Additionally, what would the cost be if USAF airmen were deployed to accomplish CAP missions?  I can't imagine how USAF airmen from Lackland would deploy to Oilton, Texas at 0100 hrs.

3 million dollars for a Civilian Air Force is a bargain .  

Commander
SWR-TX-454

John Bryan

Quote from: Major Carrales on January 21, 2008, 02:12:58 AM
The thing is that CAP and USCGAux are volunteer service organizations that, as has been said, provide much more than the meager funding that the Federal Government provides.

Local units expend lots of personal resources and stretch dollars far beyond the point of many other government agencies.

Additionally, what would the cost be in USAF airmen were deployed to accomplish CAP missions?  I can't imagine how USAF airmen from Lackland would deploy to Oilton, Texas at 0100 hrs.

3 million dollars for a Civilian Air Force is a bargan.  

First I think you are 100% right that the CAP and USCG Aux provide more then their moneys worth.....BUT remember Congress could take civil aircraft SAR away from the AF and give it to whoever.....Congress gives and takes away. Second with the new ELT's.....the 0100 mission will be fewer and fewer. The other 2 missions....well we dont do much AE at 1am ;)

Also I think CAP's federal budget is around $24 million not 3....and I think that does not include the CAP-USAF budget.

Major Carrales

Quote from: John Bryan on January 21, 2008, 02:35:53 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on January 21, 2008, 02:12:58 AM

Additionally, what would the cost be in USAF airmen were deployed to accomplish CAP missions?  I can't imagine how USAF airmen from Lackland would deploy to Oilton, Texas at 0100 hrs.

3 million dollars for a Civilian Air Force is a bargan.  

First I think you are 100% right that the CAP and USCG Aux provide more then their moneys worth.....BUT remember Congress could take civil aircraft SAR away from the AF and give it to whoever.....Congress gives and takes away. Second with the new ELT's.....the 0100 mission will be fewer and fewer. The other 2 missions....well we dont do much AE at 1am ;)

Also I think CAP's federal budget is around $24 million not 3....and I think that does not include the CAP-USAF budget.

I stand corrected...

QuoteThe overall FY 2006 budget is up to $31.5 million, as CAP is currently purchasing new equipment – including Garmin G-1000 glass cockpits, radios, digital cameras, laptops, digital satellite phone systems and new aircraft, guided by its all-volunteer Advanced Technologies Group. CAP has tested personal locator beacons, night vision and infrared imaging, and hyperspectral imaging that can discriminate among materials based on physical properties. They are also working on digital satellite communications for transmitting photos and video in real time from search sites back to mission bases.  source... http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/a-national-bargain-the-us-civil-air-patrol-02016/

Still, that is cheap compared to other federal programs.

That having been said.  When the new ELTs are in production and mandated, the only protracted thing that will change is that the chance an ELT missions will be GENUINE will increase.  Many will not update their matierals, some people will be unreachable due to circumstance and, in time, we will be back looking for them at the County Airport.

Commander
SWR-TX-454