Gen Vazquez's Statement on CAP Part of USAF Total Force

Started by AALTIS, August 28, 2015, 02:36:10 PM

AALTIS

This morning a video of Gen Vazquez was posted on Facebook announcing CAP is now officially part of the USAF's total force.  Any thoughts on how this might change things down the road for CAP?

This is the link to the CAP Facebook page with the video
https://www.facebook.com/capnhq
Alan Altis, Captain
EMT/ B
MO Wing Group I
Emergency Services &
Communications Officer

Shuman 14

Hopefully good things on the horizon for CAP.  :clap:
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

sarmed1

Does this mean AUX on?  (Again)..... or is it just fluff. Because this isn't the first time I have heard CAP billed as part of the "total force" concept.

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

TheSkyHornet

:clap:

I had commented on this just recently, on these forums in fact, that I wanted to see CAP recognized as an official Air Force component, even if the Auxiliary component, not just a civilian contracted link.

Really looking forward to seeing what comes from this. It's a morale-booster, definitely.

Capt Thompson

This is a great nod from the Air Force! I doubt it will change much about our normal activities, but finally validates that we are a member of the team and not the forgotten step child.

Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

TheSkyHornet

Perhaps we won't be wearing Air Force "style" uniforms anymore  :P

Panache

Well, we've been officially instructed to put "U.S. Air Force Auxiliary" in our signature blocks now.  I can't imagine that that directive came down without being signed-off by Big Blue first.

Capt Thompson

They will be Air Force uniforms while performing AFAM's, and Air Force Style the rest of the time? lol
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

CAPs1

Gen. Vazquez:"...I congratulate the 57,000 volunteers now called 'Airmen...."

Really, now they are airmen?

Panache

Quote from: CAPs1 on August 28, 2015, 03:23:44 PM
Gen. Vazquez:"...I congratulate the 57,000 volunteers now called 'Airmen...."

Really, now they are airmen?

"Airman" is a generic term for anybody who's in the Air Force.  Much like anybody who's in the Army is a Soldier, or anybody who's in the Navy is a Sailor.

It's an improvement over "Hey, you, CAP-guy!"

CAPs1

Panache

Quote from: CAPs1 on August 28, 2015, 03:35:02 PM

CAP members are still volunteers

True.  Doesn't mean we can't be volunteers and Airmen at the same time.

winterg

I served on Active Duty as an Airman and I am very happy that my fellow members of CAP have been titled Airmen as well. We need to make sure we live up to the title.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Panache on August 28, 2015, 03:36:11 PM
Quote from: CAPs1 on August 28, 2015, 03:35:02 PM

CAP members are still volunteers

True.  Doesn't mean we can't be volunteers and Airmen at the same time.

+1

CAP members are also required to undergo training and currency. We may have a different training requirement than Active Duty Air Force, but as the Air Force Aux, we're supporting their mission through our training standards. We just don't require the combat capabilities and preparedness that they do.

CAPs1

In deference to USAF Active Duty Airmen past, present and future, CAP members remain volunteers, not airmen.

There is an abyss between the two. 

winterg

Quote from: CAPs1 on August 28, 2015, 03:49:45 PM
In deference to USAF Active Duty Airmen past, present and future, CAP members remain volunteers, not airmen.

There is an abyss between the two.
As a former AD Airman, I don't believe there is an "abyss" between the two. We fall within the AF TO&E. We wear uniforms that link us to the Air Force.  We perform missions given to us by the Air Force.  We are funded by the Air Force. We are a part of the Air Force family and the act of the Air Force being willing to use the moniker of Airmen where we are concerned is a mark of the respect Ma Blue has for us and what we bring to the table.

TheSkyHornet

An airman has historically been any member of a U.S. Air Force component since 1947.

CAP is recognized as part of that component. And the Air Force Chief of Staff has just formally stated that CAP members are airmen, serving in support of Air Force missions.

This is nit-picking semantics.

CAPs1

Since you will agree that you don't speak for all active duty, retired USAF folks, I'll leave it at that.

Now everyone go out and get the same gear USAF folks have. Cuz, you know, we are airmen.

Congrats on the recognition CAP.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: CAPs1 on August 28, 2015, 04:01:29 PM
Since you will agree that you don't speak for all active duty, retired USAF folks, I'll leave it at that.

Now everyone go out and get the same gear USAF folks have. Cuz, you know, we are airmen.

Congrats on the recognition CAP.

Because every Air Force airman has the same gear as one another... ::)

You possess what is necessary for your job. That's how CAP works. There's no need for a Public Affairs Officer to have a flight suit unless he/she is a CAP Pilot. Just like there's no need for a Navy sailor to have a flight suit if he/she isn't an air crewman.