Meanings of display names and signitures

Started by RogueLeader, April 04, 2007, 07:35:46 PM

docspur

Quote from: ColonelJack on April 04, 2007, 08:40:28 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on April 04, 2007, 08:35:52 PM

Actually, it's supposed to be, "I am a pupil and need to be taught."  The motto of Peter the Great.  (Don't tell me it's mis-translated.  I may die.)

Jack

Fine, I won't tell you, but hey, google could be wrong.

It must be ... AltaVista's Babelfish gives me this for my line: 

Я буду зрачком, и быть наученным.

Which, you'll note, is the same as in my sig.  (All right, I added the comma.)

Hmmm...my Russian is rusty at best.  Anyone out there can give me the best translation?

Jack

I think we've had this conversation before LOL

Capt DL Spurlock, Commander
NCR-MO-127 - Trail of Tears Composite Squadron

Group IV Safety Officer
Missouri Wing

docspur

Ok, this part is pretty straight forward:

Capt DL Spurlock
NCR-MO-127

United States of America! Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave! HOOAH!

The "D" stands for "Darryl"...the "L" is my hidden name...I don't give that out...only my family knows what it is.  But my handle, Docspur, is another thing.  I received, like most good pledges in a fraternity in college, a nickname.  This nickname usually stems from something either very memorial that you have done or are known for, or for something really really stupid that you have done or known for.  Lucky for me, "Doc", stems from the former instead of the latter.  In the fraternity house, if you had a computer problem, you were instructed to call "The Doctor"...me.  This was back in the day of command prompts and if you had a 20 mg hard drive you were in "high cotton."  So it got to the point that I would get a call and it turned to be "Hey Doc...we need you at the House."  It has been such a popular nickname that even when I moved to St Louis in 2002 it followed me...people would know me by Doc more than my real name.  The "Spur" part comes from my last name.  I added that on to create my email addy, which has since been added to my nickname...so now I'm "Docspur".

Capt DL Spurlock, Commander
NCR-MO-127 - Trail of Tears Composite Squadron

Group IV Safety Officer
Missouri Wing

SStradley

SStradley for Scott Stradley.

Robert E. Lee in a man I have studed extensively, and I find him with out peer.  He said "Duty is the sublimest word in the English language."   Sublimest - most noblest, hightest, or loftest. 

He also said "Do your duty in all things.  You can do nothing more, you should do nothing less."

He not only said these words he lived them!
Scott Stradley Maj, CAP

"Duty is the sublimest word in the English language."  R.E. Lee

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

tjaxe

tjaxe - intials of my first and middle names and the first chunk of my last name.  (No, I don't give out my middle name.)  I've used it for like 20 years. 

I also go by AXEL (pronounced like a car axle), TJ, and TRACE said with LOTS of emphasis, when I'm in trouble at home.  :D

- Tracey, Captain
Public Affairs Officer, Professional Development, Logistics: NER-PA-160

citizensoldier

Just what it says, career Army National Guard.

CS
Mt. Hood Composite Squadron 1987-1989
SSG Stillwater Composite Squadron 2008-2009
SSGBroken Arrow Composite Squadron FEB 2009-Present
SGT OKARNG 08 APR 1988-23 JUN 2009

tarheel gumby

My user name comes from what my squadron mates refer to ourselves... "Gumbies"
and Tarheel well I am from NC and thus a Tarheel.
The sig line well it is self explanatory and I just included the squadron motto " Semper Gumby"... Always Flexible. ;D
Joseph Myers Maj. CAP
Squadron Historian MER NC 019
Historian MER NC 001
Historian MER 001

brenaud

Username and signature are self-explanatory.  (Not to mention proof that creativity is not one of my strong points.)
WILLIAM A. RENAUD, Lt Col, CAP
TNWG Director of Personnel & Administration
GRW #2699

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Senior

Senior:  Senior member, not a cadet.
I have no imagination, just black and white.  I don't know how to make
the signature lines.  I don't have anything witty to say.  When I try to be
funny or witty everyone takes it the wrong way, so I refrain from being witty or funny.   ;D

One pet peeve I have with sig lines is when cadets put war references in their sig lines.  Please, give me a break!!!   :o

NHQ-OS-126 Frank

I think it is easy to guess too where mine comes from.   :)
Deputy commander
Aerospace Education Officer
NHQ-OS-126 Spangdahlem AB
Germany
www.facebook.com/capspangdahlem
LX1MG

major pain

major pain... well the NCR/CC gave my this nickname when i was promoted, i was his XO. kinda stuck..

sig block well its just what i wear on the uniform and the 1* emblem
Lt Col Rp Kraatz, CAP
Inspector General
Kansas Wing (KSWG-01)

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Very boring. First initial and last name

hatentx

Ha so mine was my aol Screen name...  I got to texas and wanted a more grown up one and after not being able to find one I was talking to a buddy about how we hated being stationed in Texas that our Friday night fun was trying to think up a new screen name for my aol.  I was going to be funny and put in hatentx and it took and it stuck.... to the contrary I actually love Texas but just cant stand the Killeen/Ft. Hood area.  Something about to many soldier but then again who knows.

NC Hokie

Pretty simple, really...

I'm a proud Virginia Tech Hokie living in North Carolina.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

RogueLeader

Quote from: NC Hokie on January 25, 2009, 10:05:22 PM
Pretty simple, really...

I'm a proud Virginia Tech Hokie living in North Carolina.
Not too far from me at the moment. . .
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Hobbsh1

Well, as you can see from my sig, my last name is Hobgood.  Those of you who have been in the RM probably know that your military mates would shorten your name, well Hobbs was shortened by some very dear friends of mine while I was in the Navy.  It was something that stuck with me through out my shore duty assignment through my sea duty and first Gulf War time (not to mention the fact that I absolutely love the Calvin and Hobbes cartoons).  The h1 portion came from my time in some other forums that I spent a lot of time in >:D.

Maj Dave "Hobbs" Hobgood
Group 1 PAWG

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Hobbsh1 on January 26, 2009, 03:53:44 AM
(not to mention the fact that I absolutely love the Calvin and Hobbes cartoons).  The h1 portion came from my time in some other forums that I spent a lot of time in >:D.

I always get a good chuckle out of the snowman series - I particluarly like the one where there are hundreds of minature snowmen everywhere...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

James Shaw

Quote from: Hobbsh1 on January 26, 2009, 03:53:44 AM
Well, as you can see from my sig, my last name is Hobgood.  Those of you who have been in the RM probably know that your military mates would shorten your name, well Hobbs was shortened by some very dear friends of mine while I was in the Navy.  It was something that stuck with me through out my shore duty assignment through my sea duty and first Gulf War time (not to mention the fact that I absolutely love the Calvin and Hobbes cartoons).  The h1 portion came from my time in some other forums that I spent a lot of time in >:D.

I like Calvin's machine the "transmorigifier" he could do anything with that box! I wish I had one.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Hobbsh1

I don't really have a favorite favorite one,  I like them all, that little kid has a semi-warped mind when it comes to the snowmen, and an imagination that is second to none when it comes to Spaceman Spiff.  Makes me think of my childhood and some of the trouble I would get into >:D :angel:. Now'a days I just look across the room at my son and think how much like Calvin he is.  It's nice to read those comics and put myself into Calvin's role, makes me feel like a kid again. ;D

Maj Dave "Hobbs" Hobgood
Group 1 PAWG