Meanings of display names and signitures

Started by RogueLeader, April 04, 2007, 07:35:46 PM

RogueLeader

Quote from: Psicorp on April 04, 2007, 09:39:51 PM
I'm a Babylon 5 fan and have a degree in psychology, so it fits. 

I thought you might have been involved in Psi-ops section ;) 8)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Pylon

Quote from: Chappie on April 05, 2007, 03:32:39 PM
"Chappie" was hung on me 20+ years ago when I began serving as a Law Enforcement Chaplain.  When I retired from that aspect of chaplaincy and began my CAP career, the squadron commander called me "Chappie" (not knowing the previous usage)....so it has stuck with me close to 30 years.  Oh well...been called worst things  :D

Well, it's a better nickname than the "Chappie" I know through work, who is so called because his lips are constantly chapped as heck.   >:D
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Psicorp

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 05, 2007, 03:53:06 PM

Something like that...when I joined I was told I needed a CAP Driver's License, they said something about driving a black van.   :P
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

RogueLeader

Quote from: Psicorp on April 05, 2007, 06:16:39 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on April 05, 2007, 03:53:06 PM

Something like that...when I joined I was told I needed a CAP Driver's License, they said something about driving a black van.   :P
With the to be forms ready to roll, right?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Trung Si Ma

First real service nickname - Viet for Sergeant Ghost

Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

Psicorp

Quote from: Trung Si Ma on April 05, 2007, 07:20:13 PM

Sounds like there's a story or three behind that.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Pylon

Pylon is a nickname that came from my first encampment as a cadet back in th' day, at Fort Drum, New York.  I was a fairly green boot, with maybe two stripes to my name.  Shortly after arrival and in-processing, they loaded up several CAP vans full of us cadets to take us to the BX / MCSS.  Whoever was in charge basically said, "Get what you need and be back here in the parking lot no later than 15 minutes.... and make sure you get in the same van you came in."

I bought a bunch of junk I probably didn't need at the BX and was rushing to get back to the parking lot in time, so I didn't get left there.  I boarded a van and we all pulled out of the lot.  I thought everything was fine and in a few minutes, they dumped us off with our flight staff to join our new comrades.

Little known to me, I got on a different van.  The staff from the other van (the van I came in) were trying to find this little cadet airman that disappeared at the BX.   Nobody really knew my name, but it was there on a list.  "Cadet Kieloch."

It's pronounced "Key-Lock", but as these staff members continually butchered my name back and forth over the radios looking for me, my name became progressively worse.  It went from Key-Lock to Ky-lock, to Ky-lon and eventually to "Py-lon"

Some Senior Member came over to our flight about an hour later asking if anybody had seen a "Cadet Pylon."  We all gave a blank stare and looked around at each others nametapes.  Nope.  No Cadet Pylon here!

Eventually, they figured it out and "found" me happily drilling with my flight.  I got in a bit of trouble, but the damage was done -- several cadets from my home squadron were in earshot and thought the story was hilarious.  They brought the nickname "Pylon" back to my squadron, where it stuck.

...and I've been using it as my internet username since AOL 2.0 was still getting mailed out en masse on floppy disks.  :D
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

PhoenixRisen

PhoenixCadet...

On my squadron's shield/patch, we have a spread-winged Phoenix (bird) - thus, PhoenixCadet.  (No, i'm not from the city. :))

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: Psicorp on April 05, 2007, 07:27:49 PM
Quote from: Trung Si Ma on April 05, 2007, 07:20:13 PM

Sounds like there's a story or three behind that.

And your Wing Commander knows some of them.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

stillamarine

Display name is easy, Once a Marine et al.  I may not be on active duty anymore but I'm still a Marine. I also do not like the term "Former Marine"  I ain't lost my title.

Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

DrDave

"Dr. Dave" got hung on me pretty quickly after being accepted to medical school and later really stuck in residency (especially with the cute nursing staff).   

Consistent with being an "upstart" med student, I even had it as my personalized vehicle license plate for awhile (until I realized it basically said "hit me, I've got insurance" or "steal me", so I switched).

Rolls off the tongue rather easily, casual but professional! :)
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

DogCollar

As a Lutheran Clergyman, when I am in clerical garb, I wear a high Roman Pontiff style collar, all white all the way around my neck.  When I was in seminary we nick-named them "Flea Collars."  I just changed it to Dog Collar for this board.
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

flynd94

flynd94

fly= I am a professional pilot
nd=  University of North Dakota, Go Sioux!!!!
94=  The year I dun graduated

KS
Keith Stason, Maj, CAP
IC3, AOBD, GBD, PSC, OSC, MP, MO, MS, GTL, GTM3, UDF, MRO
Mission Check Pilot, Check Pilot

mprokosch11

C/Capt Matthew A. Prokosch, CAP
New York Wing
Utica Cadet Squadron (NER-NY-162)

Flying Pig

flyerthom

flyerthom -> 'cause someone already flyer tom at my ISP.

I fly and my name is Tom.
TC

mikeylikey

mikeylikey= Mike (my name) and likey, well thats just how I feel, as in I like everything.  However, that likeing everything part can change very fast, as is appearant if you read some of my earlier posts.  But after some court ordered anger management classes for almost slapping a private who failed to call me sir, I think I have changed and become more easy going.  Now if a private doesn't call me sir, I just hold up his promotion packets.  See how they like that one. 

My sig=  :)   that is self explanatory.  I am a nice guy!  And everyone better agree.  IF you want my info, email or PM and I will gladly pass it over.  The sig line will remain a little barren!

Mike
What's up monkeys?

drcomm

drcomm, The "D and R are my initials and the "COMM" is there for my communications background.  I have been a ham radio operator for 25 years and all of my current CAP time and during most of my previous time in CAP the 70's and 80's  I was involved in CAP communications.  I am employed as an aircraft mechanic/ avionics technician. 

The sig area is self explanatory.
David Romere, Maj, CAP
Starbase Composite Squadron, SWR-OK-151
Oil Well 767
Mitchell Award #2536 (May 1981)
Amateur Radio Call Sign: KA5OWI

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: Flying Pig on April 08, 2007, 04:38:38 AM
Flying Pig

Im a pilot.....and a cop.

Always nice to find a Deputy with a sense of humor.

I would hope my title speaks for itself.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Becks

Becks is short for my last name, Beckham.  Thats about it.

BBATW