Proper Email Signature Block

Started by shlebz, January 25, 2012, 09:56:07 PM

shlebz

what would the propper email signature be? i tried searching this topic but came up with nothing, although that was probably a failure on my part haha. This is mine:

C/1stLT Shelby M. Heberling
Deputy Commander/Executive Officer, GRL WI-***
Civil Air Patrol

is that correct? or what am i doing wrong?

Thanks!
C/1stLt Shelby Heberling
Mitchell #59813

lordmonar

A proper military signature Block

FIRST M. LAST, Rank CAP
Title (if you have one)

Name is all caps
Rank can be abbreviated C/SSgt, C/1st Lt, Maj or spelled out, Major, Captain
Titles are:
Commander
Cadet Commander
A Flight Commander
A Flight Sergeant
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Pylon

There is no official signature block format in CAP, so you're free to put you think is essential in there.  Name and grade, duty assignment/unit, and of course, identifying Civil Air Patrol are probably some of the most important elements and you've got that.

You just need to fix the capitalization and spacing on your grade to reflect the official abbreviations in CAPR 52-16, and your duty titles to reflect those in CAPP 52-15.

So:

C/1st Lt Shelby M. Heberling
Cadet Deputy Commander / Cadet Executive Officer, GRL-WI-XXX
Civil Air Patrol
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

The "Propper" signature looks something like this:

"That Others May Zoom"

Lord of the North

CAPR 10-1, Preparing Official Correspondence, paragraph 7c states:

Signature Block. The signature block begins at the center of the page on the fifth line after the preceding text. The writer's signature is placed in the space immediately above the signature block.

(1)  Two-Line. This is the preferred signature block. It consists of the writer's name in all capital letters followed by a comma, the writer's grade in normal upper and lower case followed by a comma, and the capital letters CAP on the first line (other organizational designations, such as AF Aux or USAFA, are not authorized). The second line states the writer's duty title in normal upper and lower case. See examples below:

JONATHAN Q. OFFICER, Colonel, CAP      JASON P. KIDD, C/TSgt, CAP
Commander                                                     Cadet Logistics Officer

(2)  Three Line. A three-line signature block may be used when the name and grade or the duty title are too long for a two-line format. See examples below:

JONATHAN Q. OFFICER, Colonel, CAP                ARTHUR J. FELDEMEN, JR
Assistant Wing Deputy Director for                   Brigadier General, CAP
Operational Resource Management                    National Vice Commander   

(3)  Graphics are inappropriate with either type of signature block.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

CAPR 10-1 Attachment 5 Traditional E-Mail

shows the sample

Regards,

Art

Arthur L. Seeber, Capt, CAP
Staff Officer, SWR-TX-442

The signature block is required on memorandum style e-mail

Private Investigator

Quote from: Lord of the North on January 25, 2012, 11:27:30 PM
CAPR 10-1, Preparing Official Correspondence, paragraph 7c states:

Thank you sir. Its one of my pet peeves and I can not believe most Senior Members are clueless about CAPR 10-1. Most Cadet Officers actually do very well on official correspondence.

Thanks again ...

MSG Mac

Quote from: shlebz on January 25, 2012, 09:56:07 PM
C/1stLT Shelby M. Heberling
Deputy Commander/Executive Officer, GRL WI-***
Civil Air Patrol

is that correct? or what am i doing wrong?

Thanks!

Use only  your highest position in your signature.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

RogueLeader

What if you have several equal titles?  Just use the appropriate title for the business?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

davidsinn

Quote from: RogueLeader on January 28, 2012, 02:00:02 AM
What if you have several equal titles?  Just use the appropriate title for the business?

Yup.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Yes, yes, yes!  ONLY ONE!

And only titles that are relevant to CAP.  People with more than a single title in their sig block just look desperate and sad.

No one cares if you're the Grand Puba of Looking Out The Window (3rd Class).

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on January 28, 2012, 04:30:48 AM

And only titles that are relevant to CAP.  People with more than a single title in their sig block just look desperate and sad.

It's really annoying when the sig takes up eight times as much space as the message.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Spaceman3750

No, but you should care that I am the Chief Grand Puba of Looking out the Window for the 9th District of the Fraternal Order of Pubas.

Does that fit on a business card?

SarDragon

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on January 28, 2012, 04:38:21 AM

No, but you should care that I am the Chief Grand Puba of Looking out the Window for the 9th District of the Fraternal Order of Pubas.

Does that fit on a business card?

Yes, in really tiny type.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

N Harmon

I generally exclude my signature in an e-mail if it appears somewhere else, like in a reply quotation.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

JeffDG

Even if they're not equal, use the one appropriate to the business.

I'm a Wing ES Training Officer, but a Squadron IT Officer.  If I'm sending an e-mail about a Squadron IT Issue, I don't sign it as the Wing ESTO.

Lord of the North

CAPR 10-1, Preparing Office Correspondence, states:

para 7f "For traditional electronic correspondence (e-mail), the closing element is positioned at left edge of the document rather than at the center of the page. For memorandum style e-mail, follow the signature block guidance (paragraph 7c). The use of civilian/personal signature elements is inappropriate for CAP e-mail correspondence."

para 7c "Signature Block. The signature block begins at the center of the page on the fifth line after the preceding text. The writer's signature is placed in the space immediately above the signature block.
              (1) Two-Line. This is the preferred signature block. It consists of the writer's name in all capital letters followed by a comma, the writer's grade in normal upper and lower case followed by a comma, and the capital letters CAP on the first line (other organizational designations, such as AF Aux or USAFA, are not authorized). The second line states the writer's duty title in normal upper and lower case. See examples below:

JONATHAN Q. OFFICER, Colonel, CAP                     JASON P. KIDD, C/TSgt, CAP   
                          Commander                                                           Cadet Logistics Officer

(2) Three Line. A three-line signature block may be used when the name and grade or the duty title are too long for a two-line format. See examples below:

JONATHAN Q. OFFICER, Colonel, CAP                     ARTHUR J. FELDEMEN, JR
                         Assistant Wing Deputy Director for                        Brigadier General, CAP
                        Operational Resource Management                        National Vice Commander

(3) Graphics are inappropriate with either type of signature block.

DBlair

Please, please, don't be one of those who include a resume of positions in a signature block. Instead, use whichever is relevant to the correspondence.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander