Visting another squadron

Started by Daniel, July 16, 2009, 12:04:14 AM

Daniel

Is it possible to do this, once your a member of a squadron to go vist another squadron if so how would one do this?
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Always Ready

Since you are a cadet, what I would do is check with your Deputy Commander for Cadets, or Squadron Commander if you are in a cadet squadron, and get their blessing first. Then I would contact the squadron that you want to visit. Again, talking to the DCC or SQ/CC of that squadron. You need to make sure everyone is ok with it. You don't want to be seen as an uninvited guest or as a traitor to your squadron. ;) >:D

davidsinn

Quote from: Always Ready on July 16, 2009, 12:29:13 AM
Since you are a cadet, what I would do is check with your Deputy Commander for Cadets, or Squadron Commander if you are in a cadet squadron, and get their blessing first. Then I would contact the squadron that you want to visit. Again, talking to the DCC or SQ/CC of that squadron. You need to make sure everyone is ok with it. You don't want to be seen as an uninvited guest or as a traitor to your squadron. ;) >:D

What he said  ;D As a senior and since I'm friends with the officers in two of my neighboring units I just drop by and am welcomed. This is one of the advantages to making friends in other units. I also encourage my neighbors to drop in on us and always welcome them.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

DC

My squadron often hosts cadets who are visiting family in the area or something, as well as other cadets from our group. Visiting other squadrons in my group is encouraged, to share ideas and see what everyone else is doing.

Daniel

This is a different group I'm wanting to visit. does that change anything?
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

DC

Quote from: Daniel L on July 16, 2009, 01:19:19 AM
This is a different group I'm wanting to visit. does that change anything?
No, it shouldn't. Just be sure your squadron is okay with it, and let the other squadron know you are coming, that's just common courtesy.

Daniel

I figured I should do that much
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

LtCol057

Might earn you some brownie points too if you send a letter thanking them after you visit. I can guarantee that that will help them remember you.

Always Ready

^Good idea.

Something to add, make sure before you visit, that you find out the proper uniform you should be wearing to their meeting and if there is anything you should bring. Nothing is worse than showing up on a PT night wearing Blues. :)

Some of my best memories as a Cadet, and now as a Senior Member, were of visiting and working with other squadrons. You get to make new friends, share ideas, and sometimes you'll come back with a better appreciation of your unit. :o

CAPTShaw

You can come visit with our Squadron anytime, as can anyone else that wants too.

601 Washington PA Wednesdays 1830 to 2100
Capt David Shaw, CAP SQ 606
Founder
Greene County Composite Squadron 606 (12JAN17)

Daniel

Quote from: IGMR on July 16, 2009, 04:16:41 AM
You can come visit with our Squadron anytime, as can anyone else that wants too.

Well Sir, I'm touched by the offer but I'm half the country away.
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

EMT-83

I try to make a practice of visiting squadrons while traveling around the country. A quick check on line to find a nearby squadron, and off we go. My wife is kind of used to it.

While visiting a squadron in Pennsylvania, my son participated in a cadet ES training session and we were invited to stay for a promotion ceremony. A planned 15 minute visit stretched into a couple of hours, and a good time was had by all.

Rotorhead

Quote from: Always Ready on July 16, 2009, 04:01:57 AM
^Good idea.

Something to add, make sure before you visit, that you find out the proper uniform you should be wearing to their meeting and if there is anything you should bring. Nothing is worse than showing up on a PT night wearing Blues. :)

...except showing up on a Blues night wearing PTs.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

coolkites

Quote from: Rotorhead on July 16, 2009, 03:13:57 PM
Quote from: Always Ready on July 16, 2009, 04:01:57 AM
^Good idea.

...except showing up on a Blues night wearing PTs.

Now that was funny ;D. What is this a competion for creating the best uniform epic failure if so I like it!

Spike

Quote from: IGMR on July 16, 2009, 04:16:41 AM

Where do you meet?  Philadelphia?? I have friends and a new Sister in Law I visit regularly there?

Nathan

I think the biggest thing to address first is why you're going to visit the squadron in the first place.

If it's just as a friendly visit to participate as a regular cadet in their meeting, make sure it's clear to both parties why that is even of interest of you. Your squadron commander may wonder if you aren't finding the meetings he/she is commanding fulfilling enough.

If you're going because you're interested in a transfer, it should be out in the open when you do that as well. If you don't tell anyone until last minute, you're commander is likely not to be happy about it at all.

If you're going because you're interested in learning from this squadron and bringing something back to your squadron, it would be to your benefit to let both parties know what you learned and how you intend to make your squadron better from it. In addition, it really doesn't matter what uniform you're wearing here. In fact, I've done this and the vice-versa (teaching other squadrons about how to make themselves better), and both times I've elected to wear blues regardless of what they were wearing, since I was a guest in their squadron and therefore chose to dress like a guest.

YMMV
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.

RADIOMAN015

Well it really will depend on how paranoid your current leadership is in your current squadron :-[  It's possible they might think you are considering transferring to that squadron and that is why you are visiting.

It is best to ask the other squadron IF it would be ok for you to visit on a specific date.

Generally my experience has been that cadets & seniors visit other squadrons because they are unhappy with their current squadron and want to check things out.  The only exception would be if you need to attend a safety briefing that you missed, or are there to coordinate some joint training, etc with the othe unit.

RM 

Spike

When I was a Cadet.....A group of us from our Squadron would travel three nights out of the week to visit other Squadrons.  It was always welcome.  It was networking as a Teenager!

Because of that, our Group had the best intra-squadron training and planning and coordination within the Wing.   

Airrace

Quote from: Nathan on August 23, 2009, 03:35:14 PM
I think the biggest thing to address first is why you're going to visit the squadron in the first place.

If it's just as a friendly visit to participate as a regular cadet in their meeting, make sure it's clear to both parties why that is even of interest of you. Your squadron commander may wonder if you aren't finding the meetings he/she is commanding fulfilling enough.

If you're going because you're interested in a transfer, it should be out in the open when you do that as well. If you don't tell anyone until last minute, you're commander is likely not to be happy about it at all.

If you're going because you're interested in learning from this squadron and bringing something back to your squadron, it would be to your benefit to let both parties know what you learned and how you intend to make your squadron better from it. In addition, it really doesn't matter what uniform you're wearing here. In fact, I've done this and the vice-versa (teaching other squadrons about how to make themselves better), and both times I've elected to wear blues regardless of what they were wearing, since I was a guest in their squadron and therefore chose to dress like a guest.

YMMV

I would also recomend this idea and like someone said before make sure to wear the proper uniform and get the blessing from your cadet commander.

DC

Quote from: Airrace on August 24, 2009, 02:04:38 AM
Quote from: Nathan on August 23, 2009, 03:35:14 PM

YMMV

I would also recomend this idea and like someone said before make sure to wear the proper uniform and get the blessing from your cadet commander.
Let your C/CC know for sure, but you also need to get approval from your SM Squadron Commander.