Main Menu

Online Membership App

Started by USADOD, April 09, 2009, 05:17:09 AM

USADOD

Perhaps this has already been brought to attention. But has anyone else had thoughts of making the cadet membership application a online form and route dues to a central bank account? It would certainly cut down on administrative task, postage and processing time.
Jorvon Brison, SFO, CAP
DCC, Detroit 100th "Red Tails" Composite Squadron
Wright Award  #3495
Mitchell Award #54039
Earhart Award #13385

SarDragon

How are Mommy and Daddy going to sign online?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Always Ready

Quote from: SarDragon on April 09, 2009, 05:40:53 AM
How are Mommy and Daddy going to sign online?
The same way I had to sign for my student loan..."click the box if you agree". When I needed someone to cosign for my loan, they had to login separately, fill out their info for verification, and then click the box.

I think it would be a great idea. They already do it for Aerospace Education Members linky. We would still need to keep the paper system around for those who don't have internet access readily available.

I would hope that they would make it a requirement that those who sign up online have to meet with the squadron commander and said commander has to 'sign off', more or less, that they met with the potential member (and parents if required) before the application can be approved.

Cecil DP

I'm sure that it could be done, but it places CAP in a position of accepting children into the program without a document "signed" by the parents and a CAP representitive. It's a whole different kettle of fish between an adult affixing an electronic signature  and doing it for a "minor". who has the opportunity to click the same box and claim he/she is the parent. Plus I don;t believe National HQ accepts credit cards for initial memberships=only renewals. 
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

FW

On line cadet membership applications are possible  however, as Cecil DP stated, there are some "logistics" problems.   

Prospective cadets usually attend some orientation meetings before applying.  When the time comes, parents and squadron/cc are all on board with the decision and an application is filled out.  If the application was completed on line, it would need to be done on the squadron's computer on a secure page using secure electronic sigs.  We do have the capability, I just don't know if it's worth doing.

swamprat86

If we have original signatures on file at the unit, the payment online could still be an option.  We could have a special address that the unit commander, DCC, or Admin person gives them once they turn in the paperwork.  They can print the confirmation and attach it with the paperwork sent to National.

The other option add a payment section to the application where they can manually put in the card information for payment.  It's not an online payment, but for those who do not write checks like myself.

USADOD

well the theory is that the candidate cadet would go through the orientation process. Upon completion, complete the membership application on the squadron secured labtop or computer. The parent would be present and electronically sign  as well a hard copy for squadron. The Squadron commander or DCC could go into E Service and approve the application....and boom...instant membership. Payment could be made by credit[online] or money order. But to speed the process funds would be drawn from the squadron account. The squadron can then print a temp membership card.
Jorvon Brison, SFO, CAP
Wright Award  #3495
Mitchell Award #54039
Earhart Award #13385

davidsinn

Quote from: USADOD on April 09, 2009, 06:31:36 PM
But to speed the process funds would be drawn from the squadron account.

And what if your unit has no funds?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

jimmydeanno

Quote from: davidsinn on April 09, 2009, 07:43:32 PM

Then you need to do some fundraising... >:D
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

davidsinn

Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 09, 2009, 07:58:20 PM
Quote from: davidsinn on April 09, 2009, 07:43:32 PM

Then you need to do some fundraising... >:D

Let me put it this way: The county with the worst unemployment in the nation is an less than an hour away. The local economy is a joke right now. Fund raising is a very hard thing to do.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Tubacap

I for one, would be in favor of such an endeavor, as well as with the senior application.  Run the squadron approvals like transfers are handled now, and one less set of checks and paperwork are going through my hands down to NHQ.  Plus it would save me a couple of dollars in postage every year that I could purchase more cadet insignia!

William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

USADOD

Quote from: Tubacap on April 09, 2009, 08:24:28 PM
I for one, would be in favor of such an endeavor, as well as with the senior application.  Run the squadron approvals like transfers are handled now, and one less set of checks and paperwork are going through my hands down to NHQ.  Plus it would save me a couple of dollars in postage every year that I could purchase more cadet insignia!

the only concern I see with that is  the FBI screening for senior members 
Jorvon Brison, SFO, CAP
Wright Award  #3495
Mitchell Award #54039
Earhart Award #13385

dwb

Quote from: USADOD on April 10, 2009, 05:08:41 PMthe only concern I see with that is  the FBI screening for senior members 

Just have them press their fingers against the computer screen! :P

NIN

My bet is that NHQ wants to ensure that there are signatures in our hot little hands for liability purposes. And how does NHQ know that the local unit is maintaining those forms correctly?  They don't.  Someone somewhere will go "Oh, look, no need to do useless CAPF 15s, this is all online now.."

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

USADOD

I believe, electronic signatures are just as valid and legal as the original John Hancock in today's world.
Electronic signatures range from loan , policies, financial aid and even bank transfers. Perhaps it is time for CAP to get with the new age program. If we save the paperwork perhaps we can invest in other things....like making cap less of a "come and pay" organization or increasing CAP estate and assets.
Jorvon Brison, SFO, CAP
Wright Award  #3495
Mitchell Award #54039
Earhart Award #13385