Main Menu

D&C Track?

Started by USAF-LT-G, April 06, 2009, 06:29:24 PM

USAF-LT-G

Hi all,

Haven't posted on here in quite some time, but figured I'd put this out there and ask. Hopefully it doesn't get anyone too riled up and causes mass blog carnage ;)

My particular squadron (composite squadron) has been dealing more and more with this public and local government agencies at a very broad range (i.e. Fire Department, Police Department, Major Airports, Wildlife, state government, etc). Proportionally, we've seen growth in our emergency services activities, operations training, mission assignments, and a plethora of new members joining up at every turn of the corner. It's really a great thing!

On that note, I know there has been much talk on the subject of Customs and Courtesies, proper uniform wear (most notably the AF style uniforms) etc. (ref: Post on Protocol Officer under Uniforms and Wear). What I'm wondering, is if there is a specialty track (for Officers) that incorporates Drill and Ceremonies, or perhaps some other duty that covers this topic.

Why you might asK? Well, I've seen an increased number of members who want to participate in local public facing events (i.e. Parades, Public Events, etc) on the Officer side of the house. IMO, I think that if a squadron could justify the need or want for such public interaction, that that would involve forming a subset group of Officers who were 1) Interested 2) Motivated 3) Willing to participate in some basic D&C training.

Where am I going with this... example, Veteran's Day Parade. You form your group (whether or not they're wearing AF style uniforms, Corporate Uniforms, BDUs, etc, as long as it's a CAP uniform and worn properly), You designate a guidon, you size your "flight," you instruct and teach facing movements, column movements, marching, flanking, etc, and when ready, represent the unit. IMO - It's really great PR, and it's a good way to gain the right kind of public interest in your organization.

So the question remains, does a track like this (a D&C leader) or something of the naure in another track or specialty exist for Officers?

jimmydeanno

The position description for the Leadership Officer includes ensuring that D&C are done at the unit for the cadets.  That position would be held [ideally] by someone who is enrolled in the Cadet Programs specialty track.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

USAF-LT-G

Yea,

I realize there's plenty of this specifically written for "Cadets in mind" but I'm talking purely at the Officer level. The Leadership Officer doesn't really cover that for Officers.

jimmydeanno

I suppose that my point was that you could utilize that person.  There isn't a specific track or duty for seniors to be a D&C officer.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

USAF-LT-G

Appreciate the response,

I suppose that's an option... but not really adequate for what we're doing. In the interim, i'm acting in an informal position to teach D&C to new Officers, which is going well. Was hoping there were perhaps other uints out there doing something similar, but optimally, was hoping for a reg or track out there. I'm well versed in AFI 36-2903, CAPM 39-1, and AFM 36-2203, as far as training people goes, no issue there. I guess I was hoping there were some other peeps out there who've acted in a similar capacity, and that there was a position somewhat more fomalized.

Thanks for the info

davidsinn

Whomever is the Cat Herder Deputy Commander/Seniors ideally should be the person to instruct the seniors in D&C and C&C.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

BillB

I've seen Squadrons appoint a Protocol Officer for D&C training among other duties. Ideally a former cadet There is nothing in 20-1 that prohibits such a position, and I note that several Wings have filled the similar slot. I even filled the slot at one time. But as far as a professional development track for D&C there "ain't such an animal".
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

RiverAux

You could be appointed as the Project Officer for ceremoial events working in coordination with the public affairs officer.  Let the PAO handle the media and the arrangements and you get everyone lined up...

USAF-LT-G

Thanks for the input RiverAux,

I'll double check with my unit on that position. Seems like it would be a sound fit. Ideally, I think it would make sense to getting a running total of "interested parties" from my unit (not just the new guys) and who would be willing to spend time at these events for PR. Would probably fit best as a "side" unit, as I don't want to take focus away from people needing training for ES and participating in mission events. I think such a unit makes sense though. Thanks again!