Recruiting and Retention Specialty Track

Started by ncc1912, September 19, 2005, 06:35:55 AM

ncc1912

In May 2005 CAP published a new CAPP 226 Recruiting and Retention Specialty Track Study Guide.  What is your opinion on the composition and requirements for the specialty track?  What is it's popularity?
//SIGNED//
JUSTIN B. BAIER, Major, CAP
"Dislocated Member"
Civil Air Patrol - United States Air Force Auxiliary
Active-duty USAF
Seoul, Republic of Korea

Major_Chuck

Vogelweh, my old stomping grounds.  I digress though.

I haven't heard one way or another about how popular this specialty track is.  I do feel however that some one assigned to this position should have this as their ONLY job.

Some units do a great job at recruiting and then lose who they've already got by not ensuring that the needs of the exsisting membership is being met.  People who tend to wear multiple hats (and I am guilty of being one of them) sometimes direct energies to other projects when they need to focus on one.

We did a great job after 9/11 recruiting and promoting ourselves but then fell flat on delivering on all those promises of who and what we are (just look at the falling membership numbers as proof).

I won't use the cliche line that 'we are all recruiting and rention officers', just as 'we are all safety officers'.    (Okay, I did) but while the statements are true you need to have someone dedicated to put in the time to greet the prospective new member;  follow them through the orientation process;  team them up with a competent mentor;  watch for those not showing up at meetings or events;  watch those whose membership is coming up for renewal.  It is almost a full time job as any in CAP.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

pixelwonk

agreed.  I think that's a prime reason this duty was elevated to the "officialness" that it now has.  Someone who can focus all their CAP energy (or most, save for ES) can do a smashup job in R&R.

arajca

I think it should be a two level specialty - Senior and Master. One requirement should be a Tech rating in either CP or PD.

Pylon

Quote from: arajca on September 25, 2005, 12:42:18 AM
I think it should be a two level specialty - Senior and Master. One requirement should be a Tech rating in either CP or PD.

Interesting idea... kind of like the Plans & Programs officer specialty track?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

arajca

Quote from: Pylon on September 25, 2005, 01:00:38 AM
Quote from: arajca on September 25, 2005, 12:42:18 AM

Interesting idea... kind of like the Plans & Programs officer specialty track?
Exactly. IMO, anyone pursuing the R&R track needs to have a good foundation in either CP or PD - preferably both.

ncc1912

If you check out the requirements for the R&R Technician Rating you will find that a Tech in some other specialty track is required.  This ensures that members engaging themselves in the R&R track must have completed at least a 6 - 12 mo. internship* in some other specialty.

* - average length of a internship among specialty tracks
//SIGNED//
JUSTIN B. BAIER, Major, CAP
"Dislocated Member"
Civil Air Patrol - United States Air Force Auxiliary
Active-duty USAF
Seoul, Republic of Korea