What are some CAP jobs that require minimal computer use?

Started by NC Hokie, May 20, 2016, 01:35:47 PM

NC Hokie

I have an older senior member that wants to contribute to the squadron but feels inadequate due to the fact that so much of CAP has moved online.  Are there any specialty tracks that I can point him to that require little interaction with eServices / WIMRS / Google Apps, etc.?  I really want to avoid making him an assistant snacko or suggesting that he consider patron status because he can't keep up with our technology.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Eclipse

That's going to be rough, I started listing he ones that are out, and couldn't find much at the staff level that
doesn't need computer access.

Probably AE has the most hands-on / least computer needs.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Eclipse on May 20, 2016, 01:46:39 PM
That's going to be rough, I started listing he ones that are out, and couldn't find much at the staff level that
doesn't need computer access.

Probably AE has the most hands-on / least computer needs.

Actually, I would suggest staying away from AE if you aren't computer savvy. AE requires a lot of research and innovation, especially with the advancements in technology in the last decade. It's hard to keep cadets excited when you're using the old textbook and a model airplane for show-and-tell.

What's the possibility of this gentlemen getting involved in an assisting role in the Cadet Program in regard to leadership or Character Development Instruction?

It's extremely difficult to determine what can apply and what doesn't because each unit has their own method, their own personalities, and senior capabilities.

Brad

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on May 20, 2016, 01:51:26 PMWhat's the possibility of this gentlemen getting involved in an assisting role in the Cadet Program in regard to leadership or Character Development Instruction?

That's what I was thinking. Leadership Education Officer springs to mind. Basically the Senior Member point-of-contact with regards to uniforms, drill, PT etc.

CAPR 20-1 Part III:

QuoteLeadership Education Officer (Applicable to Cadet and Composite Squadrons Only)
Responsible for leadership laboratory and physical fitness training of CAP cadets to include:

• Proper wear of the CAP uniform.
  • Customs and courtesies of the service.
  • Leadership techniques and activities.
  • Physical fitness.
  • Squadron drill team.
The leadership officer should be familiar with CAPM 39-1, CAPR 52-16, CAPP 216 and other CAP directives in the 52 and 160 series and particularly with the cadet leadership textbooks located on the national cadet programs website.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Eclipse

Is this someone who just "wants to be involved" or still wants to progress and complete PD?

If it's the latter it's going to be a rough road, if it's the former, then just put him together with people
he gets along with as an assistant and general helper / chaperone.

When I said AE I was thinking more the hands on of rockets and RC planes, but even the suggestions
above would need computer access to fully complete.

"That Others May Zoom"

NC Hokie

Quote from: Eclipse on May 20, 2016, 02:19:20 PM
Is this someone who just "wants to be involved" or still wants to progress and complete PD?

He's a Major with no desire to go to RSC or NSC, so his PD progression is basically done.  I'm leaning towards assistant transportation officer (the primary can handle the eServices stuff) specifically in charge of van maintenance and cleaning, but I was hoping there might be something else I could offer in addition to or instead of that.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Brad on May 20, 2016, 02:08:37 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on May 20, 2016, 01:51:26 PMWhat's the possibility of this gentlemen getting involved in an assisting role in the Cadet Program in regard to leadership or Character Development Instruction?

That's what I was thinking. Leadership Education Officer springs to mind. Basically the Senior Member point-of-contact with regards to uniforms, drill, PT etc.

CAPR 20-1 Part III:

QuoteLeadership Education Officer (Applicable to Cadet and Composite Squadrons Only)
Responsible for leadership laboratory and physical fitness training of CAP cadets to include:

• Proper wear of the CAP uniform.
  • Customs and courtesies of the service.
  • Leadership techniques and activities.
  • Physical fitness.
  • Squadron drill team.
The leadership officer should be familiar with CAPM 39-1, CAPR 52-16, CAPP 216 and other CAP directives in the 52 and 160 series and particularly with the cadet leadership textbooks located on the national cadet programs website.

I heavily agree with this.

BUT---and that's a big one---he should know how cadets can access their testing and reading materials. It really helps.

I do find it difficult to work with some "older" senior members due to the break in technology. We really try to introduce people to our online systems (not just NHQ's, but our squadron ones as well) early on, even if they don't have much computer experience. It really helps that transition to getting used to our way of doing things. The squadron laptop has also come in handy very much.

But everyone has some form of knowledge they can bring to the table, even if they have a hard time with the technical side. I'm much more high speed and detailed when it comes to my work. I'm an Excel junkie and love my Google Drive. We're definitely electronic paper-heavy. But it works. Not everyone takes to that. I'm always willing to work with someone who's a bit more patient and takes their time because they don't grasp it right away or they don't have that technical expertise like using a computer. Not to make a negative comparison, but I find working with older senior members is like working with cadets. It's much easier for me, except when cadets get cocky, I can break out the bulldog  :P

Holding Pattern

Assistant IT Officer, assuming you have a primary that is any good.

No, I'm serious.

QuoteI have an older senior member that wants to contribute to the squadron but feels inadequate due to the fact that so much of CAP has moved online.

Help him get trained. An IT Officer that is doing things like giving weekly IT reports, running statistics for officers that need them (like R&R, training, etc.), and running Cyberpatriots can use such a person in the delivering of reports (which gives the anti-social IT guy a chance to watch the social guy (assumption, yes) work, and gives the non-IT person more exposure to the computer infrastructure at a high level. Helping train the newest members of a cyberpatriot team with no computer background using the provided training will at the same time provide HIM the training to no longer fear the computers and increase his skillset.

I'll also mention that there are usually in major cities free workforce training programs to help get people computer acclimated.

The path of least resistance is to get him into a job that doesn't need computers. But first, we should try to see if we can help people develop skills.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on May 20, 2016, 03:01:15 PM

No, I'm serious.

QuoteI have an older senior member that wants to contribute to the squadron but feels inadequate due to the fact that so much of CAP has moved online.

Help him get trained. An IT Officer that is doing things like giving weekly IT reports, running statistics for officers that need them (like R&R, training, etc.), and running Cyberpatriots can use such a person in the delivering of reports (which gives the anti-social IT guy a chance to watch the social guy (assumption, yes) work, and gives the non-IT person more exposure to the computer infrastructure at a high level. Helping train the newest members of a cyberpatriot team with no computer background using the provided training will at the same time provide HIM the training to no longer fear the computers and increase his skillset.

I'll also mention that there are usually in major cities free workforce training programs to help get people computer acclimated.

The path of least resistance is to get him into a job that doesn't need computers. But first, we should try to see if we can help people develop skills.

This.

Really, the best way to improve yourself and the unit is to learn more. "I don't want to learn" doesn't do me any good.

SouthernCross

Character Development Instructor (CDI) duty position might something of interest to your member. As far as interaction with eServices, it requires to submit a bi-annual report which is done online. I'm sure someone in the unit can assist with that.

Prior to being appointed as a CDI, the following has to be completed: (1) completion of Level I of the senior PD program, (2) a letter of recommendation from a non-family, a-non-CAP member of his/her community attesting that the member in question is morally and emotionally qualified to be a CDI, (3) completion of Training Leaders of Cadets course (in residence), and (4) Basic Instructor Course (online).

Chappie

Quote from: SouthernCross on May 20, 2016, 03:21:10 PM
Character Development Instructor (CDI) duty position might something of interest to your member. As far as interaction with eServices, it requires to submit a bi-annual report which is done online. I'm sure someone in the unit can assist with that.

Prior to being appointed as a CDI, the following has to be completed: (1) completion of Level I of the senior PD program, (2) a letter of recommendation from a non-family, a-non-CAP member of his/her community attesting that the member in question is morally and emotionally qualified to be a CDI, (3) completion of Training Leaders of Cadets course (in residence), and (4) Basic Instructor Course (online).

That would be an excellent duty assignment.  With the recent introduction of three levels of TLC, the Chaplain Corps requirement is that of the TLC Basic.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Майор Хаткевич

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on May 21, 2016, 05:00:37 AM
Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on May 21, 2016, 04:27:55 AM
Three levels of TLC?

Yup:  http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/library/tlc_course/
Though the majority is still vaporware.

Typical. My primary assignments are in CP, and I find out about this via CT instead of notification from NHQ.

Chappie

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on May 21, 2016, 04:27:55 AM
Three levels of TLC?

As of April 2016:  TLC Basic is for squadron CP officers, TLC Intermediate is for DCCs, commanders, etc., and TLC Advanced is for group and above CP leaders.

The Basic Course will be taught as one of the pre-conference workshops on Wednesday, August 10 and the new Intermediate Course will be taught on Thursday, August 11.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

NIN

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on May 21, 2016, 05:07:49 AM
Typical. My primary assignments are in CP, and I find out about this via CT instead of notification from NHQ.

This is not new information.

http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/library/tlc_course/index.cfm

http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/?training_leaders_of_cadets__2016&show=entry&blogID=1572

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/TLC_2016_Outline_E6D44EA35C2AF.pdf

And thats not the only places I've seen that info.

If you're a CP type, however, you should be paying attention to the proving ground, the CP blog, etc..

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Майор Хаткевич

Any reason CP folks don't get an email when new stuff gets posted?

NIN

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on May 22, 2016, 05:18:34 AM
Any reason CP folks don't get an email when new stuff gets posted?

I can tell you for a fact that sending out emails targeted at specific staff officers in the field can be a fool's errand.

I use Mailchimp to hit all the assigned recruiting & retention officers (and recruiting directors) with emails about specific things going on. Not even generalized "Hey, this is whats up" but more like "Hey, on the 24th recruiting is doing this.." kind of functional level training and information.  You'd be stunned at the number of "unsubscribes" I get attempting to communicate this stuff to the field. I don't send out but *maybe* 1-2 emails a month, and thats just to essentially 1-2 duty assignments (RROs, recruiting directors and assistants) (I'm way, way under Mailchimp's 2000 emails max for the free account) and probably every time I send out a "Hey, Recruiting Officers, here's some info for you" email, I get a half-dozen "unsubscribe" responses.  "So, you don't want information from National HQ on information specific to you duty assignment?"

Think about how many CP duty positions you have at the unit level: deputy commander for cadets, assistant deputy commander for cadets, leadership officer, assistant leadership officer, activities officer, assistant activities officer, character development instructors & testing/assistant testing officers (who are not considered CP officers for the purposes of the duty assignment system), plus commanders and deputy commanders.  With multiple assignments to a particular staff officer, plus higher echelon CP assignments like group, wing & region, you're looking at probably 5000-8000 emails each time at a minimum.  There is a cost associated with using a mass email service (NHQ doesn't use Mailchimp, but something similar), too.   At a certain point, its incumbent upon the staff officer to make sure he or she is remaining abreast of the information from higher HQ and not rely on a specific push.

I think you'd be amazed at the number of people who, even after multiple emails on a subject, blog postings, web page updates, etc, come up for air and say "Hey, NHQ, it sure would be nice if you had information about XYZ..." and you then email them the links to the information you've put out over the last year on XYZ and they say "Wow, I had no idea."  You can use Facebook, email, web posts, Twitter, etc and still a percentage of people aren't getting the message.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on May 22, 2016, 04:36:44 PM
I can tell you for a fact that sending out emails targeted at specific staff officers in the field can be a fool's errand.

+13

People have no issue with 12 emails from Twitbook telling them about updates, not to mention "useful coupons", but send
them info they actually need, or probably want, and unless it's in the first line, or worse the subject, it's ignored,
only to have them ask the specific questions in a separate message.

A big part of this is the unwillingness to properly manage their messaging, not to mention paying attention to what they click,
and never "opting in".

"That Others May Zoom"

THRAWN

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on May 20, 2016, 03:09:04 PM
Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on May 20, 2016, 03:01:15 PM

No, I'm serious.

This.

Really, the best way to improve yourself and the unit is to learn more. "I don't want to learn" doesn't do me any good.

Yeah, but if you're 143 and don't care about computers or "improving yourself" and just want to support the unit or the cadets, there are always alternatives. To the OP, seems that many of the staff slots have "assistants" that this guy can be plugged into. I don't know the guy but he might be a MoH recipient or Mel Zetz but I get the feeling he has some value to the unit.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

NIN

Quote from: THRAWN on May 22, 2016, 07:02:23 PM
Yeah, but if you're 143 and don't care about computers or "improving yourself" and just want to support the unit or the cadets, there are always alternatives. To the OP, seems that many of the staff slots have "assistants" that this guy can be plugged into. I don't know the guy but he might be a MoH recipient or Mel Zetz but I get the feeling he has some value to the unit.

I get that some folks aren't into updating their skills for whatever reason.

But this is like saying circa 1943 "You'll have to send a runner to my house to alert me, I don't use them newfangled phone things."

There's a myriad of reasons why things are substantially "online" these days. Its difficult to tell a long time member that they've been surpassed by technology. But really, its no different than the guy who won't fly SAR or O-flights anymore because he hasn't updated his skill set with learning the Garmin 430 or G1000.  Things change. You need to evolve.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP